can YOU legally grow your own tobacco?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

this stemmed from an idea in passing... basically after an idea i did some research and found out that IT'S ILLEGAL TO GROW YOUR OWN TOBACCO IN AUSTRALIA! (nothing new, i just never heard it before)

wtf kinda sham is this (grrgrrgrr). from what i've been reading the gov hasn't even ATTEMPTED to cover up that the prohibition is simply because "it will get them money" coz everyone will be forced to BUY it from the big tobacco comps, the sales of which are heavily taxed.

really long url, hey look, now it's smaller

(ATO = Australian Tax Office)
Opposition to the Bill

16. The submission from Oztobacco, an internet marketer of Grow Your Own Tobacco Kits, stated that the new measures would close their business, presumably because the excise would make them uncompetitive. Oztobacco indicated that the market for kits within Australia is relatively small: 93 kits were sold in 1999-2000 financial year.11 Oztobacco appeared to base its argument on the assumption that its business was currently operating within the law, even though it seems not to be paying excise. The ATO indicated that Oztobaccoâ??s view was wrong. The ATO stated:

Contrary to assertions in [Oztobaccoâ??s] submission, growing, drying and cutting your own tobacco is not a legitimate activity. There is no tobacco equivalent to the do-it-yourself concession that applies to home brewers under the Excise law.

Easy access to tobacco seed presents a high risk that any non-commercial growing and manufacture of tobacco could easily transform into commercial activity outside the licensed sector. This would undermine the revenue and health policies of the Government in relation to tobacco.

On enactment of the Bill, the ATO proposes to inform Mr Groves that he will no longer be able to sell tobacco seed.12
i mean... they didn't even try to cover it up!@! they just fucken came out and said, on official channels none the less: "This would undermine the revenue and health policies of the Government in relation to tobacco"

grrity grr grr

are you guys allowed to grow/cure your own tobacco?
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I have no idea. How is your spider problem coming along?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

cat ate it
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I would assume so; I've never heard of anything against it. I mean, any farmer could plant a tobacco crop, so I don't see why any individual person couldn't do the same.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i can drive around my city here, around the tropical countryside and you drive past never ending numbers of farms growing various tropical fruit, banannas, pineapples, and TOBACCO.

(just recently something happened that prettymuch made most of the tobacco farmers shift to another crop, i can't rememeber the reason, special taxes?)

i nvr heard anything against growing your own tobacco either, i assumed it was fine. i mean, farmers grow it, cigarettes arn't illegal and you can buy em from any store (they have an exceptionally large tax on them though, this is the govs way of discouraging smoking, heh. $cha-ching$), you don't need ID to buy them or anything (cept to prove age maybe).

it was only when i had an idea to possibly market it that i started to take note. i heard something in passing on a stoner forum, it freaked me out so i looked around google and there it was.

i'd never really thought about it before because i'm not really a tobacco smoker.

it could be illegal in the USA as well :shock:
index_html
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by index_html »

It appears to be perfectly legal for personal consumption in the U.S. Since it's a legal product, I can't imagine why not.

------------------
Todays prices for cigarettes and/or bulk tobacco are only going to get higher. Why not grow your own tobacco either in 5 gallon pots or in your garden? This way you know there are no chemical additives, and you will get to smoke something that you can say that you grew. Not to mention that it is tax free and legal to grow and process tobacco in the convience of your own home. Link
------------------

I'm sure if you plan on selling it, the game changes a bit.
XeonJr
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by XeonJr »

Money is politics :P
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

it's illegal to grow your own tobacco in the US (at least according to a friend of mine who had a tobacco plant sprout where he always flicks his ashes.)

We should google it...
Instig8
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Instig8 »

It is not illegal to grow tabacci (in the USA). Only the wacky kind is illegal.

However, it is quite difficult and needs precise conditions to grow.

I think it prefers hot tropical conditions (Cuba comes to mind). I've spotted many tobacco farms in North Carolina.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I worked one summer in the tobacco fields down in Kentucky. Nothing different than growing corn. You do have to "top" the plants when they start getting their flowers and then later cut the whole plant and hang them to dry and cure. Nothing tropical about Kentucky.
Tobacco for cigars may be where you need tropical conditions.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

yeah index_html the plan is not to sell the grown tobacco, but to sell seed kits so that people may setup their own personal tobacco garden to harvest their own pure tobacco for personal use.

i mean, it's perfectly legal to make your own homebrew beer/spirits here. you just can't sell them, you can give em away though, makes good presents :). you have to have a liquor lisense to sell them, you'd probably need a special liquor producer lisense as well which would be subject to health and safety inspections.

but to make your own liquor just for yourself and friends, you don't need anything.

it seems so rediculous to have this double standard - tobacco being illegal to grow.

actually, hmm, now i'm wondering on what legal grounds they actually used to stop the Oztobacco guy from selling his kits. perhaps they can get you on "sale of seed intented to grow".
urg, our country is full of this double standard garbage. you can sell police scanners and radar detectors, but it's illegal to USE them. the sale of them is perfectly legitamite though. i bet all this ★■◆● is running along from money under the tables.

i guess the tobacco lobby has more power here than the alcohol lobby. i bet the alcohol lobby would love for it to be illegal to brew your own booze.
perhaps it's got something to do with the relative simplicity and ease to grow and cure tobacco (everyone would be doing it), compared to brewing grog which takes a bit of equipment.
rijruna
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by rijruna »

roid, i remember hearing somewhere that here in aussie u ARE allowed to grow no more than one square yard of it before it becomes a taxable thing
that being said, they [the govt & big biz] arent about to actually tell you this for obvious reasons, therefore it doesnt happen very often anymore, & i havent heard of anyone being busted for it either, but i may be wrong there as i dont tune into all the news all the time.
cheers
rij
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

when did you hear this rijru? coz this amendment (linked) was in 2000.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Ok, I'm too lazy to check this out. But tabacco in said growing capacity here in the Us is prolly for the same reason it is there.

IT regulated because its a staple of out Tax base. Alcohol, tabacco and guns are all under the same department. ... what's up with that?
rijruna
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by rijruna »

well roid, i must admit that i dont visit our govt websites EVER so i wasnt aware of that date, but yes mu info was a lot older than that. {70`s, 80`s maybe, not that 'that' [sorry mobi :}!] would worry me as im of the 'question authority' types}. its a thought that has passed through my head a few times [gyot]
cheers
rij
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

I have grown about 450 tobacco plants as a hedge row around my old house in the Okanagan Valley, in southern BC. This was the authentic Tobbacco Plant, not the small ornamental Nicotina spp.

The Indian Bands can grow all they want, and they sold seeds at the local Garden Center, but these were kept "behind the counter". $10 for a pack with 5 grams of seeds in it which is about 10,000 seeds (puny, dust like seed)

It's an annual plant, grows to about 7 feet tall, and makes huge ornate flowers, pink and white. Massive leaves too ! I had a great hedge.

Apparently In Canada White folks have a limit on growing Tobbacco, which is 9 plants. I certainly had more than teh legal limit, but nobody complained.

I tried to dry and smoke some, but it was gawd awful ! One has to cure it or it's like smoking composted leaves.

Tobbacco makes a great insecticide ! Nicotine is a deadly neuro-poison to insects ! I'd brew a "tea" of the dried leaves, and spray it on my Tomatoes, potatos, and other inscet ridden crops. It'a a good companion plant because of it's insecticidal properties, and conversely to bait bugs like the great tomato horned worm, away from my tomatos.

I have a whack of left over seed too. Collect some Roid, and experiment with growing ..?
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

I can't imagine it's illegal to grow tobacco here in the States, for personal consumption, but it's certainly possible these days.

As for growing conditions for tobacco, they grow a lot of it in Connecticut, there are fields and fields of it around Bradley International Airport, as well as curing sheds etc.

They do set up fabric on frames around the growing plants for some unknown reason. Probably those growing conditions you mentioned...

[edit]
YEP! exactly that (tropical conditions)
http://scienceu.fsu.edu/content/tobacco ... bacco.html
[/edit]