Who won the VP Debate?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Who won the VP Debate?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:07 pm

John Edwards
33%
Dick Cheney
67%

Total votes: 30
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Who won the VP Debate?

Post by Nightshade »

Certainly a better performance this time around.
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

didn't see all of it, but voted edwards, because im a democrat, RAWWWR!

ANYBODY BUT BUSH RAWAWWRWRWRAWRRR!!
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

^ Liberal zombie.
Zoop!
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Zoop! »

Okay, it's settled. Dick Cheney advances on to the finals where he will debate the winner of the presidential bracket, John Kerry. The winner will become Supreme Overlord of the World. The loser will be eaten.
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

BRAINZ
BlueFlames
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BlueFlames »

Cheney had a strong start and ran with it for quite a while. Edwards seemed flustered by and unfamiliar with the format. Towards the end, Cheney seemed to be getting a little frustrated though, and lost a lot of his momentum, which Edwards started to capitalize on, but in the end, I'd still call it for Cheney. Unless you walked in in the last half hour or so, you'll probably agree.

[edit]Cheney's red power-tie was brighter too, so points to him on the 'burned something into my retinas' category.[/edit]
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Was it the "yo mama so fat" debate again?
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

I'll tell you who won. Gwen Ifil.
She's a hundred times the moderator that Lehrer was.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

BlueFlames wrote:[edit]Cheney's red power-tie was brighter too, so points to him on the 'burned something into my retinas' category.[/edit]
Perhaps, but I think that honor goes to Bush. I can't remember exactly what speech it was - but he was wearing one of those ties that totally thrashes color sensors on televisions. I thought the CIA might have implanted secret messages in that thing. ;)
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

BlueFlames wrote:I'd still call it for Cheney. Unless you walked in in the last half hour or so, you'll probably agree.
I disagree. In the sense that I did walk in on the last half hour or so and still thought Cheney was much better. He seemed much more candid, for one. Edwards had this annoying tendency to state the self-evident ("the lawsuits that don't belong in the system should be out of the system") and gives me bad memories of actually living in NC. He also just seemed to spout catchphrases and had this annoying leaning forward arm pointing thing going on that felt really bad to me. Plus, of the two, he seemed the less professional.

Both of them accused the other of things that were totally taken out of context, but that's to be expected, so no points to anyone there.

Closing statements were kind of weird. Edwards had this whole life story thing that didn't feel terribly honest, but I didn't care for Cheney's choice of subject matter. I didn't really care for either one.

I hadn't really had much experience with the VP, but after this I'd have to say that I'd vote for the guy. That is, of course, if he wasn't backing Bush.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

What about that look on Edward's face when Cheney brought up the "No Show Edwards" issue. Now that was funnay ... These circuses are so amusing.
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

I say switch the republican ticket. Cheney for president, Bush for VP. Particularly for a first term senator, the fact that Edwards missed an enormous number of meetings really stands out to me. All Edwards could think of in response was a bunch of tax increases that Cheney voted against. No need for a response there.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I don't think anyone really wins debates. it's not like it's a sport.
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

Well I was going to say Cheney until his three post-debate f**kups...
1) Noting he never met Edwards before
2) Announcing there never were any WMD's in Iraq
3) http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/ ... index.html
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

I can see how #1 could be true. At both events Cheney might have known Edwards was there, but if he didn't have a conversation with Edwards then I don't think you can really call it "a meeting." I've seen this many times personally. I can be eating or sitting somewhere next to a person, but if I'm paying attention to what's going on or talking to someone else, for all practical purposes a person sitting beside me isn't even there.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

well that may be Clayman, but are you going to make a public statement damning that person that you obviously have no real idea if you saw him or not? you would think twice about it, he obviously didn't. Oh well, Cheney's leash on bush must be long for him to go the Senate and let bush remain at the white house.
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

It's quite possible that Cheney pretty much forgot the meetings entirely, meaning that they weren't significant enough for him to consider them "meeting" him. If you picked some random person that I sat next to somewhere years ago I might not necessarily recall it all that well either. And in politics, making damning statements is the accepted rule, not the exception. I don't like it, but that's how it is, Cheney and Edwards are both guilty of it. Anyway, the statement Cheney made was not to prove that they had never met, but to demonstrate the fact that Edwards is "Senator Gone," not a person who honors his job and takes the time to make important meetings.
kufyit
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kufyit »

Uh, it's common practice to miss Senate meetings while you run for President (or Vice President). It happens all the time.
Before this year, Edwards missed just seven votes out of 1,307 in his first four years in office, Briggs said. During his five years in the Senate, Edwards voted 1,551 times out of 1,626 roll-call votes, Briggs said, or 95.4 percent.
Yup, that's right.

Senator Gone?