788 KB/s rocks.

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

788 KB/s rocks.

Post by Mobius »

Had DSL for nearly 4 years now, but been stuck in the slow lane at 256Kb/s for most of that time. "Full Speed" connections (up to 8Mb/s) were available, but the data traffic I do (around 5-8GB / month) would have meant a bill of around $1000/month instead of $69...

FINALLY, my ISP has introduced a 2Mb/s service AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE! Don't think they're being generous though - the fukahs are only doing it to try and derail the unbundling of the DSL "Bitstream" services in New Zealand.

Anyway, the throttling port at Xtra is limited to 2Mb/s except for NZ located sites, at which time I'm wide open at 6.752 Mb/s and I just tested the line with a 130MB download and it took all of 3 minutes with a maximum transfer rate of 788KB/s :D

I'm getting around 250KB/s solid from decent servers overseas - so I'm pretty happy with my connection now... or I would be if I could persuade them to remove the 48ms of DSL Interleaving on PPPoA...

*sigh*
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I've got 5Mb connection now and I always get 500Kb d/l. I've even seen 570Kb.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

What exactly is DLS Interleaving? Ive heard that term before but I cant quite define it yet.
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

Nice Mobi, congrats :D

I send my packets in by carrier pigeon :wink:
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

I like downloading a 1.2mg/sec from work.
I get a steady 400 from home. :D
Viralphrame
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Viralphrame »

I'm happy with my average 50kb/s downloads. :(

(110kb/s peak.)
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Avder - DSL Interleaving over PPPoA (NZ doesn't have PPPoE DSL) is a method of reducing the number of "Noise Disconnects":
Q: What is interleaving? Is it better on or off?

A: Interleaving is an extra level of error correction.

It makes sure that all ATM packets that come from the DSLAM to you and from you to the DSLAM are not corrupted, and if any are, it forces a re-send.

Having Interleaving off may introduce packet loss depending upon how clean your line is. If it is a rather clean line, packet loss may be as low as 3%, but if it is a dirty line, packet loss may be as high as 50%.

Having Interleaving off does have its advantages though. It lowers your ping times for instance, and also makes playing in multiplayer games more enjoyable since multiplayer games don't require that all packets reach the destination.
The stupid thing about NZ Telecom's decision to use Interleaving (and the maximum 48ms) is that the phone line system in NZ is "World Class and one of the world's most up to date systems" (According to the CIA report on NZ's telecommunications capabilities!) and therefore Interleaving is NOT required AT ALL.

Telecoms can use Interleaving to increase the distance from the exchange they will allow customers to have DSL. However, NZ Telecom has a flat policy: more then 5Km from the exchange = NO DSL. (How facked is that? I am 3.9 km from the exchange and handshake at 6.752 Mb/s and 697Kb/s upstream!)

So - it's not needed because of the quality of our lines, and it isn't used because they won't signup peeps beyond 5km! IDIOTS. *sigh*

I know of several telecom employees who've had their interleaving reduced to zero (i.e. 0ms first hop to the DSLAM!) and they NEVER get disconnected and don;t have lossy connects!

The absolutely crazy thing is that Interleaving is a software setting which can be changed easily (5 seconds or so!) but Telecom REFUSE POINT BLANK to even DISCUSS Interleaving with ANYONE.

There was a petition that got over 5000 signatures last year. Telecom just ignored it.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Since where on the subject of broadband what is a good website to test your internet connection.
Ammo
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Ammo »

:D Hi, you want the best test place, and with all the answers?
:arrow: Goto>>> http://www.broadbandreports.com
Formerly.. http://www.dslreports.com