I'm really scared for the next generation

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

I'm really scared for the next generation

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

This is scary

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/n ... ols25.html

Extremely stupid if you ask me. Ridiculed because you didn't make the honor roll? Ban the honor roll? WTF
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

The only upside is they'll probably kill themselves off quick.

But all kidding aside this is only going to give the message of 'if you're lazy and stupid you'll be cool'
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

This doesn't really surprize me. Hell, geeks and other "smart people" have been outcasts for as long as I can remember.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Ha! - the site is down. They're getting slammed!
Scorch
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Scorch »

sometimes, when I look at the direction humanity is taking, I wonder if life is even worth living. People these days are ****ing retarded *******s, period. People like this depress me.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Is it just me, but wasn't the SMART kids in school the ones that got made fun of? The ones who knew everything *or liked to believe they did* MD, Lothar? Image j/k j/k

Anyways, when I was in school this seemed to be the general law of things. The smart kids got recognized of course, but not just by awards and whatnot, they generally didn't fit in anywhere else other then with other really smart kids.

Though for me, this generally didn't apply any further then Jr High School. I associated with both the popular group and the not so popular group (nerds aka smart kids) as well as the other little social collectives once I was in High School (Goths, skaters, ****kickers & even the gang associated kids etc etc...). Course, I don't imagine there are very many that get along REALLY well with all the different "cliques", so I'm not sure exactly why it was I managed to do so Image

Anyways, is it any wonder that this stuff is happening? I mean really? These parents were born in the early 70s and went through school in the 80s, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that they are going to be bringing along with them some lame brain ideas of parenting Image
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

HEH!
Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Nexus_One »

WTF

Parents of stupid kids are worried that their kids might feel bad? MAKE THEM STUDY, LEARN SOMETHING. This kind of sh!t is why I want to go into politics; to get rid of the PC fvcks that are causing this kind of sh!t, and the lawyers who help them, and the complacent bastards who just sit by while this kind of sh!t happens.
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

On a lighter note, anyone note that nerds almost rule the world? I mean how many sports hero's(cool people) are on the list of the richest people in the world?
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

well ppl, this one is apparently not only about political correctness. the article seems to focus on that aspect. the hue and cry over posting the honor roll in the first place is rightly criticized in this thread. however, the article indicates that tennesse law prohibts posting the honor roll.

the schools would have to allow themselves to be sued to challenge it. it's no surprise they have no interest in that. so while half the story is about a petty complaint by parents of children who couldn't cut it, the other half is about the schools responding to the law.

i'd be curious to know what the motivation was for the statute written in the 70's.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

wow, you guys went to some ****ed up high schools. at mine the only people who got made fun of were the goth types who always cried and complained to everone that they were going to off themsevles, but to our dismay none of them ever did. no one got made fun of because they were smart, it was more of a good for you kinda thing. if you were dorky, you just didnt get any ***** from the better looking women, but people still hung out with you.

my group had a tennis player who dressed nice but was dumb as a rock, a stoner who was really funny and dressed like a "preppy," a skateboarder, a rapper, a female basketball player, a "hot chick," a 4.0 student, and me - the hookup guy. i was under the impression that schools were pretty much like that now, not still stuck in degrassi high/saved by the bell mode.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

kur, I was talking before High School, like late elementary and through Jr. High. Personally I didn't care for the 13-14 year old girls anyways, I was more interested in the girls my age or older at the time, course it seems girls look a little bit different at 14 now then they did then....

When I was in High School most of the "goths" were maturing out of that stage and starting to blend in a tad more. When my group got to High School the Juniors and Seniors (sophomore is the first to attend the actual HS here, Freshmen or 9th grade still attend at the Jr. High school even though they are listed as freshmen) generally left us alone or treated us pretty decently. We were the worste group moving through the Mesa public school system as far as behavior was concerned *mostly generalized, aleast I didn't contribute*. We still hold the title Image

My group of friends at that time wasn't very much different from what you listed kur Image
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Kur.. wow did you go to like the best school on the planet? ****.. my school days went somethin like this. get my **** in/out of my locker, hit the classes and layed low or i'd get the piss beat outta me. and i didn't do ****! musta been the way i looked or somethin.

Of course I was tossed into the roughest schools that were available. I even went to a school where the kids were actually disturbed and the psychs played god with my head and diet. now that was some scary stuff.

Tyr, that's not recognition of smarts. that's recognition of regurgitating facts. Any moron can do that if they wrote down all the bull the teacher spewed. REAL recognition of smarts comes at university level where someone makes a breakthrough in medical science or mechanical engineering.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

ah yes, but generally the morons couldn't regurgitate those facts UNLESS they wrote them down. Otherwise they'd be on a boat with no paddles so to speak.

Knowledge comes from memorizing the facts, regardless of where you get them. Whether it be from someone else (As long as you looked into it more to form your own opinion) or it is something that you willingly put yourself through to better understand.

Anyways, this is all K-12 is anyways. Nobody in grade school is going to make any huge scientific or worldly contribution, not unless their one of these super-genius kids, even then you hardly ever hear about them when they grow up because they don't do anything special, they just have a HUGE amount of useful information in their head they never use. Most of us have a head full of worthless information that isn't useful Image
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Its really wierd, or it might be becuase of the small region I live in.

Its like this: the world is bad and filled with stupid people. But every day I see a little bit of hope that it wont be that bad and that there are people out there with values and morals. I'd think that it will get better by the time my generation takes over and the hippy pot-smoking generation would die off and allow these "better people" to take over and make things better..

Then I see articles like this and I go "s*!t, aint gonna happen."
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

As seen under the sign to the real world:

"Abandon all hope ye who enter"

HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

hahahahaha

bush should put his money to killing off the people that really dont do any good. Image
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Boo hoo, poor stupid kids dont have good grades, they feel stupid. Good I say, they ARE stupid. Stupidity is one of those things that people should be ridiculed for...maybe it'll motivate them to get off their lazy asses and make something of themselves. Besides, the "honor roll" standards are getting lower and lower...used to be 4.0 only made honor roll, now people can get on it with anything above a 3.0. You really have to be dense to not get at least a 3.0.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

Beo, it all depends on the school you go to, I've got something like a 2.7, but I got a 29 on the ACT. Then again, the 2.7 may be because I've been failing French.
Sting_Ray
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Sting_Ray »

Like he said, you'd have to be dense to not make a 3.0 Image
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I am telling you. Everyone should be sterilized at birth and have to pass a basic parenthood test before they can get it reversed. Part of the test would be to determine what their attitudes on personal responsibility are. If they hold with the victim mentality so sorry, no kids for you.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by [NuB] Dedman:
I am telling you. Everyone should be sterilized at birth and have to pass a basic parenthood test before they can get it reversed. Part of the test would be to determine what their attitudes on personal responsibility are. If they hold with the victim mentality so sorry, no kids for you.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well then you probably would have failed... name me a sterilization procedure that is easily and reliably reversible.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by DCrazy:
Well then you probably would have failed...</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure what you mean by this or why the flame. I am one of the biggest proponents of personal responsability on this forum. Always have been.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by DCrazy:
name me a sterilization procedure that is easily and reliably reversible.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To the best of my knowledge there isn't one. I am hoping that one day it can be developed.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Sorry about that... got a bit much on my plate. Image
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

why don't we all just become Nazi's, then, Dedman?
Yea.

Or maybe (likely) you are just seeing if the *parents* would be unlikely good enough to look after a child?

*shrugs*
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by HaAGen DaZS:
<b> why don't we all just become Nazi's, then, Dedman?
Yea.

Or maybe (likely) you are just seeing if the *parents* would be unlikely good enough to look after a child?

*shrugs*</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last time I brought this up the Nazi theme came up too. It is nothing like that.

I think we can all agree that there basic values and skills that a required to properly raise a child. Love them unconditionally. Don't physically, mentally, or otherwise abuse them. Provide adequate shelter, clothing, and nurishment. That kind of thing.

We can also agree that there are plenty of parents out there that don't or can't provide some of these basic things for thier children. That is all my proposed test would look for.

I am not trying to filter out any particular culter, religion, race, etc. When I lived in Florida I got really tired of seeing kids suffer becasue their parents were complete morons and didn't have two brain cells to rub together. That's when I first thought about this.
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by HaAGen DaZS:
<b> hahahahaha

bush should put his money to killing off the people that really dont do any good. Image</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
He is Image
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

hehe.

when is he going to ride one of his own missles, then? Image

i understand your point, now, dedman, and while I totally agree, you just wouldn't be able to stop it. The kids you porbably saw were either mistakes, or the family are having a rough spot.

its *impossible* to stop people ffrom doing. theres no way in hell you'll stop me. Image

it's just unfortunate some people throw a curve in our communities...
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Well then you probably would have failed... name me a sterilization procedure that is easily and reliably reversible.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, there is the male vasectomy. All they have to do is reconnect two little tubes and you're good to go.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Tyranny:
Is it just me, but wasn't the SMART kids in school the ones that got made fun of? The ones who knew everything *or liked to believe they did* MD, Lothar? Image j/k j/k</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha ha. Image Actually, I only got made fun of in middle school...and that was by like one kid trying to be the "school bully". That only lasted a couple of months until I flat out got tired of blowing him off as if he didn't exist. I balled up my fist, turned around and nailed him right between the eyes. Everyone got real quiet when I did that because that was the last thing they had expected me to do to someone. Image He made a quip every now and then, but other than that he left me the **** alone. (though I imagine that killed his rep...getting his ass kicked by the school geek. Image)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3"><b> Anyways, when I was in school this seemed to be the general law of things. The smart kids got recognized of course, but not just by awards and whatnot, they generally didn't fit in anywhere else other then with other really smart kids.

Though for me, this generally didn't apply any further then Jr High School. I associated with both the popular group and the not so popular group (nerds aka smart kids) as well as the other little social collectives once I was in High School (Goths, skaters, ****kickers & even the gang associated kids etc etc...). Course, I don't imagine there are very many that get along REALLY well with all the different "cliques", so I'm not sure exactly why it was I managed to do so Image

Anyways, is it any wonder that this stuff is happening? I mean really? These parents were born in the early 70s and went through school in the 80s, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that they are going to be bringing along with them some lame brain ideas of parenting Image</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They must've been anti-social then because even though at the time I looked like Gates Jr., I still had plenty of friends and was fairly popular. Even before the previously mentioned "encounter".
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Hehe MD, I had a similar experience with a bully. Broke his nose Image

As far as a vasectomy, I'm not quite sure how far that has improved since the 80s, but I think there is a certain window of opportunity before you'd basically be sterile if they "hooked everything up" after a period of time.

My Dad had one shortly after I was born in 80 and my parents got this notion later on that it would be nice for me to have a brother or sister Image, so....

They went to see if this was possible in early 84 and sure enough he had the proceedure, my sister was conceived and born in 85, he went back in and had another vasectomy. They said that if he had waited any longer the process would have been no good. Would be shooting blanks I imagine...

Not sure about what they could do today though, I'm sure they could store semen, like sperm banks do, from before a vasectomy and then artificially inseminate when it was determined that the said couple were fit to be parents later on *shrug*.
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

over here its pretty ridiculous as far as recognition goes.

teachers only know your name if your a bad kid. or annoying.

the whole "bullying" **** has calmed down a alot since the first few HS years, but it comes now and then.

i have a similiar expierience, except I enjoyed flooring dumbasses legally, in a nice game of rugby. ever since i showed em how to play no one has called me a goth for a very long time.

except the rejects in the lower years, who ... just don't know me. Image