Star Trek's Picard is a moron

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Star Trek's Picard is a moron

Post by Mobius »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3455463.stm

If brains were antimatter - Patrick Stewart doesn't have enough to blow his nose. Lyrics spring to mind: "And the world is full of stupid people." *sigh*
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Although I generally disagree with him on this issue, I think he makes an interesting point with this quote.

"Humankind has just not simply become sufficiently evolved to now leave this planet, take itself out to space and began establishing more of us out there'
Scorch
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Scorch »

I agree and yet I don't. I do concur that humans are not ready to begin civilization on other planets, and that we should fix this planet first. However, I do support extraterrestrial exploration and travel, as you never know what could happen or what you might find.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Yeah, what Scorch said. He said what I meant to.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Ditto. Patrick Steward is not that dumb as you think he is.

So STFU MOBIUS!!!!!!1!!!!!!111!1
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Personally, I think he makes a good point. While I don't think space exploration should be stopped (it is inevitable, I feel), it is true that our Earth is deeply flawed as it is and it would be wreckless to run around colonizing other planets when we can't even get it right here.
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

Mobi, besides being cool, what's the use of setting foot on mars? Personally, I don't give a rat's ass about men walking on Mars. The unmanned expeditions are costly enough, so lets not jump the trigger and work with what we have.

I wholeheartly agree with Stewart when he says we can put the money to better use.

If you want space research, there are many interesting projects that require a lot less funding but could yield just as interesting results. I'm talking about gravitational wave detectors, new gammaray detection satellites, and more powerful particle accelerators, etc.

Money invested in a Mars space mission hardly creates employment, doesn't improve education, doesn't make people more safe and above all, doesn't help the stagnating world economy.
Sting_Ray
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Sting_Ray »

It's the whole Martin Sheen syndrome. I may not BE the president, but I play one on TV... so my word must be just as good.

I hate celebrities, think that they can up and talk out their asses on things because apparantly being on TV means something.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

It's called speaking your mind SR, something we do here on a daily basis. It is one thing to get on someone for saying something completely stupid, but in this case Patrick Stewart said something quite intelligent, now hush and leave the actors alone Image

btw, if you can't tell, I agree completely with what he said. Looks like you're out-numbered Mobi Image
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Mobius...just be quiet.
Sting_Ray
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Sting_Ray »

I have no doubt in my mind that what he is saying is completely accurate, and I agree with him 100%. But if some average Joe said that on the street, it wouldn't be televised, and his opinion would never be heard. Television stars have no more clout than anyone else. I just find it asinine that his opinion is heard over all others just because he's on TV.

But Martin Sheen really thinks he's president Image
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Good job mobius. "He has a different opinion than me so he must be stupid!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Sting_Ray:
I just find it asinine that his opinion is heard over all others just because he's on TV.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Blame the media then, and the people who watch it.
Gavotte
Catcher of the cliché
Catcher of the cliché

Post by Gavotte »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Sting_Ray:
<b> I have no doubt in my mind that what he is saying is completely accurate, and I agree with him 100%. But if some average Joe said that on the street, it wouldn't be televised, and his opinion would never be heard. Television stars have no more clout than anyone else. I just find it asinine that his opinion is heard over all others just because he's on TV.

But Martin Sheen really thinks he's president Image</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh bleh stingray. You might not like it, but Stars hold a sort of control with their fans with their personal thoughts... it really doesn't matter if your the president or not. What matters is that you have lots of friends and lots of money (Think about the recent CA Arnold election thing) This my friend, is how it works.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I think Mobi misread Stewart's "let's not colonize other planets" as if he'd said "let's not have any manned missions to space". I agree, we shouldn't be trying to colonize other planets yet -- we're just not close to that point technologically or culturally. Now, if he'd said "let's shut down NASA and not bother with anything in space" I'd be adamantly disagreeing, but since he didn't say that, I won't. Image
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

If you'll notice, Stewart gave his support to unmanned missions like the Beagle or Spirit/Opportunity. He's not anti-space, he's just practical.
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Bah! he's 100% correct. Mobi every post you make it "ooh boy space station" or "landed on mars" or "pictures from some planet" etc...of course you think he's an idiot when he's right about space being impracticle

Look, there are soldiers in Iraq getting bombed and shot at, there are famines and wars and riots and social unrest in countries in the world. There are crazy dictators with their fingers on the buttons. Our planet is totally monkeyf*cked. We have more important things to invest our time, effort, and money on than "OMG MARS!!!11" what is on mars? Well, so far, they've found what we already know is on mars: dirt, rocks, dust, and a whole of of bullshiz that's not good to anybody. The fact is; Mars is not going to save people, Mars is not going to help anyone, Mars is not going to better our society. Mars is a spectacle, a hobby, something to look at when we've got nothing better to do. But right now, we've got a LOT MORE IMPORTANT things to do.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Finally someone with some sense. This whole space thing is entirely overrated. I'm sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but there really is nothing out there. Sorry. And even if there is, we're not going to find it using multi-billion dollar booster rockets going the speed of nothing.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Beowulf:
Look, there are soldiers in Iraq getting bombed and shot at, there are famines and wars and riots and social unrest in countries in the world. There are crazy dictators with their fingers on the buttons. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The same was true in the 60's when we were going to the moon. We can't stop research because everyting isn't all hunky-dory. I will agree that going to Mars would be reather usless, not to mention a one-way trip. It's freekin cold there and basically not a friendly place. But do nothing? I think not.

p.s. I've seen Patrick Stewart in several interviews and I don;t think highly of him. He's an A-typical Shakspearian Perv. He's entitled to his option, but it done't mean he's right ... or even close. If we are ever to get anywhere near to what Star trek portrays, regaurdless of what the will look like, we need to start somewhere. It's going to be expensive, and dangerous. People are going to die. A lot of folks died settling the USA.

Sending someone to Mars on current technology might be possible, but would be extremely dangerous.

No disrespect Wolf. Image just needed a starting point.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Duper-

Your icon is fun to watch. Where'd you get it?
Sting_Ray
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Sting_Ray »

And what has going to the moon accomplished here on earth? Besides the US being able to say "We be first to the moon muthafuc*ahs!"? Exactly.. nothing.
Viralphrame
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Viralphrame »

And what has going to the moon accomplished here on earth? Besides the US being able to say "We be first to the moon muthafuc*ahs!"? Exactly.. nothing.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget all the cool rocks they brought back. Image
Gammaray
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gammaray »

And what has going to the moon accomplished here on earth? Besides the US being able to say "We be first to the moon muthafuc*ahs!"? Exactly.. nothing.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh let's see here... velcro! better ball point pens that can write upside down, and tang to name a few things.

not to mention the understanding of what's needed to do such things as land on another planet. We'd still be poking our sat-cams at planets and speculating about them instead of actually exploring.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Or if you're a conspiracist, we could go to the moon for the first time! Or would we...
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Ah yes. Good thing Spain had monarchs that didn't listen to what the down trodden masses had to say. I'm sure there were plenty of Spaniards that thought there was more than enough ills in Spain for the queen to spend the treasury on than investing in 3 boats for exploration. But hey...to each his own.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

TopWop-

Right-click and check its source. I "barrowed" it from another forum. If you rightclik and save, then view; you will get a much bigger version that is easier to see. The DBB actually scales it down.
Gavotte
Catcher of the cliché
Catcher of the cliché

Post by Gavotte »

300kb is far too large for a icon, you know that.. right?
index_html
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by index_html »

<font face="Arial" size="3">"And it would take up so many resources, which I personally feel should be directed at our own planet."</font>
Perhaps, but I think Hollywood movies take up too many resources too ... so let's abandon those until world hunger disappears Image