Traitor or Proud American?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Traitor or Proud American?

Post by callmeslick »

flip wrote:Lol. I ignore it and then hammer full frontal:P Makes them insane.
if what we see here is any indication, your hammer blows are to you ownself.......
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Slick, in one place you argue for fairness and equity and then in others you argue that the ruling elite have rightful claim to the whole of America's resources, not taking into account whose blood bought it. I can't hardly take you serious because I can't really figure out where you stand.

EDIT:Funny, that's the same way I feel about Obama.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Um...he never said "rightful." He said "actual." As in, that's the way things currently stand.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

True, but his politics further strengthen it also.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Top Gun wrote:Um...he never said "rightful." He said "actual." As in, that's the way things currently stand.

yay! Another one 'gets it'. I am just telling what is, not what I wish it were.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

flip wrote:True, but his politics further strengthen it also.

hardly. I'm not a support of Reaganomics, which got you to the current status quo. Although, especially in the form of the Bush tax cuts, I have benefitted mightily.
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

callmeslick wrote:
flip wrote:True, but his politics further strengthen it also.

hardly. I'm not a support of Reaganomics, which got you to the current status quo. Although, especially in the form of the Bush tax cuts, I have benefitted mightily.
Yeah, but right abut now, after plowing through my complicated tax forms, I'd love to go back to when Reagan simplified taxes, and BEFORE Clinton made a royal mess of the code. We could fill out our taxes on ONE STUPID PAGE! However, it wasn't the rate cuts I liked, it was the simplification of the code that was nice. It's not that I don't like to pay taxes. It's just that I'd like to do it without having to read a circuitous novel of instructions that must of been written by a bunch of psychotic monkeys at the behest of some drunken accountant and his lawyer. :mrgreen:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

my tax paperwork is always(Reagan onward) in the 12-20 page range, so I can sympathize on the wish for simple.
George Orwell---"1984"
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Dear lord. I'm going to have to actually file taxes for the first time, since they aren't taken out of my part-time tutoring work, but I'm hoping they won't be nearly that complex.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Top Gun wrote:Dear lord. I'm going to have to actually file taxes for the first time, since they aren't taken out of my part-time tutoring work, but I'm hoping they won't be nearly that complex.
Wait for it.............................. :shock:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Top Gun wrote:Dear lord. I'm going to have to actually file taxes for the first time, since they aren't taken out of my part-time tutoring work, but I'm hoping they won't be nearly that complex.
:lol:
George Orwell---"1984"
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Yes, I know, the naivete of youth. :D
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Top Gun wrote:Yes, I know, the naivete of youth. :D

when you're young, you're allowed to be naive, or even silly and stupid. It's part of the ride, enjoy!! :D
George Orwell---"1984"
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

To be fair, though, I know my brothers have managed to get by with an EZ form for a similar sort of income in the past, so I'm hoping this would fall into the same category. Either way, my parents have been using one accountant to do their taxes for many years, so at least I'm not going to be the one crunching the numbers and making my head hurt.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

You may be able to stick with the "EZ" form for a bit (I did, though graduate school), but you'll graduate to the full 1040 pretty quickly. Won't be too bad at first, but as your economic life gets more complex, so will your taxes.

Honestly, mine aren't too bad, though; they only take me a few hours once I have everything together, since I'm filing jointly with my wife, and not self-employed. Most of the deductions I take (interest on home, child care, interest on student loans, deductible donations, etc.) are similar from year to year, so it goes quickly. I imagine it would be hell, though, if I was self-employed and trying to handle deductions for work expenses, or if I had much invested outside my 401K.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

That's the problem. If one has any investments in the Stock Market and had any capital gains or loss carryovers (which most people will have from the last several years), or worse, own some TIPS (inflation protected treasuries) mixed in there, you're in for a nightmare if you're not an accountant. Uggh!
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

In retrospect, I probably should be wishing that my taxes really were super-complicated, since that would mean I actually had a full-time job over the past year. Such is life.