eBay = teh goodness :)

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

eBay = teh goodness :)

Post by Mobius »

For people like me, who live in the antipodes, eBay is a wonderful thing: many items in New Zealand are extremely over priced. So, using ebay allows me to buy a Tissot T-Touch watch for $492 delivered, when retail is $1800; Nike TL3 shox @ $70 when retail is $325. Bubble Chair for $810 when retail is $1660, delivered. Tivoli Subwoofer @ $160 when retail here is $290. Palm LifeDrive $560 and retail is $999. iTech virtual keyboard $199 when retail is $420. Uncle Henry American blade steel pocket knives at 30% of their NZ price. Moving Coil record cartridges at a 75% discount. Car parts at less than half price...

The list goes on and on.

Most of these items are ex-USA, but electronic gear, shoes and watches mostly come from Singapore.

One of the things I have to do is to ensure I understand the shipping and handling costs before purchasing (I often use the \"Buy Now\" option) and usually, unless the item is very small (like a watch) then shipping is a major component of the price.

For many items, it would actually be more expensive to buy something over the 'net. It's not automatically cheaper - that's for sure. I automatically leave negative feedback to any trader who charges more than USD10 handling for items weighing less than 10KG (22lb), and USD20 for items weighing more than 20KG (44lbs).

One of the things I am very aware of, is that freight companies and couriers are making a fortune from eBay, and if you are wondering what sort of international investments to make, then buying into Fedex, or other international freight company often used by eBayers would be a very good choice.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re: eBay = teh goodness :)

Post by Diedel »

Mobius wrote:I automatically leave negative feedback to any trader who charges more than USD10 handling for items weighing less than 10KG (22lb), and USD20 for items weighing more than 20KG (44lbs).
On ebay?
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Immortal Lobster »

ya know, last time I shipped a motherboard, it cost me in the neighborhood of 13bucks for 8-10day at UPS, and Fedex would have run me 15 for thier 8-10.

and motherboards are definetly less then 10 pounds, I just hope you never buy anything from me, jeesh
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

People often seem to forget that it's Shipping and HANDLING. It costs money to package something and send it out beyond the price at the post office. For example, my wife runs a small business and when she has to ship things overseas its at least a half hour of time to get to the nearest post office and back. Not to mention insurance if it's something really expensive, and extra time packing if it's something fragile. It takes TIME and time is money.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

If mobius referred to an ebay feedback (edit: which is not clear from what he posted), I can only hope he gets booted from ebay soon. If you make an ebay deal, you've had time enough to look at S&H cost and decide whether to accept it or not. If you chose to accept it, and your goods are delivered in due time and good condition, there is no reason to give a negative feedback. ebayers who act like that are buttholes, period. If you agree on a deal, it was your choice, so don't turn around and shoot the guy in the back.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by Vindicator »

Diedel wrote:If mobius referred to an ebay feedback, I can only hope he gets booted from ebay soon. If you make an ebay deal, you've had time enough to look at S&H cost and decide whether to accept it or not. If you chose to accept it, and your goods are delivered in due time and good condition, there is no reason to give a negative feedback. ebayers who act like that are buttholes, period. If you agree on a deal, it was your choice, so don't turn around shoot the guy in the back.
Exactly. Caveat emptor.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Re:

Post by Iceman »

Vindicator wrote:
Diedel wrote:If mobius referred to an ebay feedback, I can only hope he gets booted from ebay soon. If you make an ebay deal, you've had time enough to look at S&H cost and decide whether to accept it or not. If you chose to accept it, and your goods are delivered in due time and good condition, there is no reason to give a negative feedback. ebayers who act like that are buttholes, period. If you agree on a deal, it was your choice, so don't turn around shoot the guy in the back.
Exactly. Caveat emptor.
X3
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Mobi, you cheap bastard :P
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Hold it, people. From what Mobius wrote, it is not clear whether he referred to ebay deals. That's why I asked back, and that's why I used an 'if' clause in my subsequent post.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Well for starters, he spelled the incorrectly. That alone makes him a moron who is not worth our time. I say he should be banned from this board.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re:

Post by fliptw »

Diedel wrote:Hold it, people. From what Mobius wrote, it is not clear whether he referred to ebay deals. That's why I asked back, and that's why I used an 'if' clause in my subsequent post.
The title of the thread says ebay in it, so mobius is talking about ebay.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Diedel wrote:If mobius referred to an ebay feedback (edit: which is not clear from what he posted), I can only hope he gets booted from ebay soon. If you make an ebay deal, you've had time enough to look at S&H cost and decide whether to accept it or not. If you chose to accept it, and your goods are delivered in due time and good condition, there is no reason to give a negative feedback. ebayers who act like that are buttholes, period. If you agree on a deal, it was your choice, so don't turn around and shoot the guy in the back.
x4

Then again, we are talking about mobi-troll after all. He's wasting valuable oxygen.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

x5 hang him!
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Its funny because it seems that every other post Mobius proves to the rest of us how low he is willing to stoop, and everytime he does its a new low. Its worse than Bush's approval ratings!

I hope you get banned, both from Ebay and here, you deserve it. Then again you wont be back again to read this message anyway so its like talking to a scripted \"forum buddy\" thats broken and wont respond to you. :roll:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

It's one thing to be a grammar whore and play mr. wiseguy here and there, but a different story to give negative feedback to ebay traders because of S&H cost willingly accepted beforehand.

I can blame the further on being a bit spleeny, but the latter is indeed plain low.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

As I posted before: http://www.reservoirdogs.us/rdftp/phpbb ... ed.xpi.zip
just ignore him with this firefox extension :wink:

I know that a lot of ebay sellers will put on high shipping costs to offset the \"possibly\" low winning bid. Something I think is totaly wrong. But in that case I do not bid on the item and I move along to a reasonable one. Sometimes I even send a message to the person letting them know that I passed them up because of the bogus shipping cost.

But to agree to the shipping costs and then turn around and neg them because of it is about as low as you can go.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

here in austin there's a shop down the street that has a ton of used stuff. If i find a good deal on something (and you don't owing me for the cost) i'll send some really cheap stuff to ya.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I work in shiiping and recieving. Many companies add to the cost of shipping... for whatever reason. We add 1 dollar to any packslip that we have to enter in by hand or modify. This is only a hand full and we make no real money. .. maybe 10 a day. ..kinda stupid really. But some other companies will charge up to 5%.

Also, UPS will charge extra if the package does not weigh a certain amount given certain dimentions. Example: a 10\"x6\"x6\" needs to weigh at least 2lbs. or an addtional charge is added. actually, it's anything over 1lbs. as wieghts are rounded up to the whole number.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

Duper wrote: Also, UPS will charge extra if the package does not weigh a certain amount given certain dimentions. Example: a 10"x6"x6" needs to weigh at least 2lbs. or an addtional charge is added. actually, it's anything over 1lbs. as wieghts are rounded up to the whole number.
Dude, that's not true. I work for a UPS store. UPS does not charge extra if the package does not weigh enough. This is what they do. Say you have an 18x18x18 box. That size is in the 1st oversize which means that UPS assumes the box weighs 30 pounds. It doesn't matter if the box is empty or only weighs 15 it is still charged as though it was 30 pounds. Now if it weighs OVER 30 pounds then yes, the price will rise. But not when it is under 30.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

UPS sucks. DHL all the way.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

Xamindar wrote:I know that a lot of ebay sellers will put on high shipping costs to offset the "possibly" low winning bid. Something I think is totaly wrong. But in that case I do not bid on the item and I move along to a reasonable one. Sometimes I even send a message to the person letting them know that I passed them up because of the bogus shipping cost.
That's exactly what I do.

I don't need software to ignore Mobi-a$$ btw. ;)