Descent 3 OpenGL problem

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Fuzzyo
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Descent 3 OpenGL problem

Post by Fuzzyo »

Hi. I have an ATI 9600 XT 128MB graphic card, and when I select it from the setup menu in Descent 3, no resolution other than 640x480 work correctly, and when I switch to automap or go back to main menu from the game, the whole screen goes weird. The setup menu only has OpenGL option availavle for my card. There is, however, another option there called \"Direct3d Primary Device\". This one doesn't have the problems as above, but the pitcure looks all messed up. What do I do?
Thanks in advance.

BTW, I'm in Windows XP SP2
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Did you use the drivers the card came with, or did you update from the website?
Fuzzyo
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Fuzzyo »

I'm using the newest drivers released for my card. The problem with the screen is that I only get half or a quarter ofthe screen in higher resolutions, and switching back to the games menus messes up those screens. pictures!Image
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

A corruption issue like this (if your card works fine for any other game) can be caused by a driver problem. Or it could be excessive heat/overclocking, but if it doesn't happen in other games odds are it is a driver issue.

Have you updated Descent3 to the latest version along with your video drivers?

Something to try is to completely uninstall your video drivers and clean them off the system, registry settings and all then reinstall them, it could be a version conflict or faulty registry setting somewhere causing this.

A suggestion is to go back into the setup tab in the descent3 launcher, in the video tab redetect all devices with direct3d and opengl checked. Even ATI cards should perform better in opengl then direct3d, however if nothing fixes opengl, you can select \"direct3d - primary display driver\". Also if your video card driver control panel has any custom profiles for descent3, either disable or delete them entirely.
Fuzzyo
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Fuzzyo »

Well, I've discovered that the D3D thing works perfectly. I had just set some options bad on my card. OpenGL still doesn't work, but who cares! I'll be using D3D! Thanks for the help people!
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral LSD »

I'm noticing something similar too (9500 Pro here, Catalyst 6.5). It must have snuck in recently because I distinctly remember playing D3 in OGL a while back. This would be the first time in 3 years the Catalysts have given me any grief. Still, changing to D3D fixes it and the performance hit doesn't seem that noticable.