Hockey

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Hockey

Post by Zuruck »

I'm suprised nobody has brought this up yet. Being an avid Avalanche fan, I grew up in Colorado, I find myself saying kill Bertuzzi. Mistakes are made but that wasn't a mistake. Almost as bad as Hunter nearly capsizing Pierre Turgeon few years back. Horrible to see that though in such a great game.
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

I don't think anyone is all that surprised. It was only a cheapshot because Moore got so badly injured and the press played it up as a vendetta hit, conveniently excusing itself from egging it on in the first place. If Moore had bounced back up, nothing more than a penalty would ahve been assigned. Bertuzzi was just playing his part and it went a little wrong. I felt nothing but pity for the guy during his apology. Two men likely lost their careers but, hey, it sure made great ratings, didn't it? :| I can't even watch pro sports anymore. It all looks like an excuse for violent spectacle these days.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

That is why you should watch professional cycling. One of the hardest and purest of the team sports on the planet. Power, speed, and grace. Not to mention strategy, tactics, and planning.

Watch the Tour de France this July on OLN. You will be hooked.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

lol@Professional Cycling

That just seems REALLY funny for some reason :P

Anyways as far as this incident in Hockey goes, all I can say is HEY...Its hockey, what'd you expect? In a game like Hockey stuff like this is going to happen.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

agreed bash. I cling to hockey because it is the last sport that isnt full of whining, overpaid bitches.
KaTaNa
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by KaTaNa »

Like Rodney Dangerfield said, "Last night I went to a fight, and a hockey game broke out!"
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Tyranny wrote:lol@Professional Cycling
You should try it. It is all about pain and suffering.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

[NuB] Dedman wrote:
Tyranny wrote:lol@Professional Cycling
You should try it. It is all about pain and suffering.
nah, thats alright, I did enough off-road biking when I was a teenager to last me a while :P
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Tyranny wrote:Anyways as far as this incident in Hockey goes, all I can say is HEY...Its hockey, what'd you expect? In a game like Hockey stuff like this is going to happen.
How incredibly uninformed of you.

This isnt hockey stuff at all. Sure, theres fights, its rough, but crap like this ISNT representative of what hockey is or what its about.

Being a Wild Fan, I already have less than stellar respect for Todd Bertpussy. But this, to me, proves hes just an overpaid, loudmouth, revenge driven goon. Any of you watch the all-star game this year? Notice how when he touched the puck, despite being on the "home" team he got booed all over the place? Theres a reason for that. All of Minnesota hates that guy. Whenever the Canucks come to Minnesota, theres always several people who bring signs that say "Hey Bertuzzi, did you enjoy GAME SIX???". Hell, in the playoffs last year, our Goon, Matt Johnson, made more of an offensive difference than this guy.

I say ban him from hockey for life. Bullcrap like this hit has no place ANYWHERE. I hope the vancouver authorities bring him to criminal court as well. This hit was obviously premeditated, revenge driven, and was intended to injure the guy. As a Wild fan I also have a bit of a thing against the Avs, but no team deserves to have one of its young, promising stars taken down like that.

Bertuzzi disgusts me. He embodies almost everything that is wrong with hockey today. String him up by the balls and let him hang.
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Having lived in Colorado for so long I too am an Avs fan and I just think its sad that this happened. At the same time, I don't think Bertuzzi deserves to be banned for life. For the rest of this season? Yes, but I think he was legitimitley sorry for what he did and therefore he shouldn't be banned forever. Besides, I think he just meant to just deck the guy, I don't think he meant for this to happen.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

The fighting isn't part of good hockey, it's only a part of the money making aspect of hockey. The olympics have excellent matches without the fighting.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Vader wrote: How incredibly uninformed of you.
Typical statement I would expect from a fan Vader, but it is quite obvious to me that in a sport that allows gloveless fist fights and besides Football is one of the more intense physical sports in the US things of this nature are bound to happen.

I did not say that this type of thing happens all the time nor did I say that this was representative of what the game is about, yet you've somehow managed to take that out of what I said and you couldn't be more wrong.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

dude, playing roller hockey is a ton of fun. I don't do it enough anymore.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

so Bertuzzi is a pussy for stepping up to the plate and defending one of his own? heh nice logic there pal.

From what i saw from the photos, (i don't even read the story, they're so colored by the reporters it's not even funny) Bert came up to Moore, grabbed his jersey, and belted him. Moore lost his footing, fell, and Bertuzzi couldn't get untangled in time. so he (Bertuzzi) braced for the impact (doubled over somewhat, knees bent, hands out. normal human survival reaction) and Moore just happened to be under the guy's full weight.

I particularly don't like it when the media and people say Bert drove Moore's head into the ice. you wanna tell me how you're supposed to do that when your torso is out of alignment with your center of gravity? I bet you any money if someone that weighed over 200 lbs fell on me, i'd end up with something broken

Also, fighting has been a part of hockey since it's inception. If fighting is banned from hockey, what will draw people other than the hardcore fans to the game? A fight in hockey is like a wipeout in nascar. If fights are banned they might as well call hockey ringette.

Vancouver is completely behind the Canucks. I've never seen a town that loves their team so much before. You won't be able to find six people for the jury, let alone twelve to even come close to convicting Bertuzzi. No matter how you feel, it's just not gonna happen. If you think that's not true, well you haven't been paying any attention to the Canuck's home town and therefore are ignorant.

This wouldn't have happened if Moore didn't come out and KO Naslund. Had this happened ten years ago, the whole canucks team (20 or so on the bench) woulda came out and pummeled the avs (5 on 5 fights). But that doesn't happen today because everyone knows if they did that they'd all receive suspensions. It served as a buffer to keep the goons in check. but now hockey's going PC (politically correct) and this is the result.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Ferno, watch the video. Bertuzzi sucker punched him and I even think he was knocked out and then he fell on him. The guy fell flat on his face. This was pure retaliation and IMHO, wasn't dealt with harshly enough.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Ferno, the pictures don't tell the story. Go over to ESPN.com and click the "video" link in the upper right (right next to the date.) The game should be on there. It was a pretty bad hit -- and the "drive into the ice" wasn't him bracing himself for impact, he was shoving the guy into the ground. Dude deserved a suspension, no doubt.

Oh, and if you've never seen a city that loves its team like Vancouver, you've never been to Denver.
BAAL
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by BAAL »

Umm, i see no one has commented on the fact that the hit on naslund was a clean hit. Naslund was simply i the wrong place at the wrong time with his head down.

There was no penalty on the play and the league reviewed the hit afterwards and upheld the refs decision and did not penalize Moore. On the other hand, Bertuzzi was clearly demonstrating intent to injure. I'll agree that because of what happened , hes facing a huge suspension where as if moore had gotten back up---he might only be facing 2-3 games.

The point is that Bertuzzi needs to face the consequences of his actions....this incident shows what a lack of discipline can turn into in a worst case scenario.

There is no place in the game for cheap shots. I think that Bertuzzi's actions are as bad or if not worse than the McSorley/Brashear incident a couple of years ago. He deserves every bit of his suspension.

Just my 2 cents.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

cdn_merlin wrote:Bertuzzi sucker punched him and I even think he was knocked out and then he fell on him. The guy fell flat on his face
that's what i said almost verbatim.

I watched the video six times. and I still don't buy the part where Bert shoves moore down to the ground. Also there was another av that jumped onto Bert and started to pound on him.

Baal, I don't think anyone has commented on the Naslund hit because we all know it was clean.

You're right Lothar. I haven't been to Denver. I only comment on what I have seen so far. Also, does denver even have a hockey team?
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

um yeah, Denver has a hockey team. Your boy Bertuzzi broke one of their guys necks, remember? ;)

Yeah, so the team name is "Colorado"... but they play right on Auraria Campus in the middle of Denver, in the same arena as the Denver Nuggets play in. They also lead the league (and all major sports, and hold the NHL record) in consecutive sellouts. The last news I could find about it was in November, when they hit 400. I think that means the current streak is 428 games... so yeah, I'd say this city supports the team :)
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

ok. i figured the avs were based somewhere else in Colorado.
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

Heh, I know I'll be hearing from someone from Colorado Springs but basically there is nowhere else in Colorado except Denver that could support a professional anything. It's a state comprised of small towns and resort towns (bling!), with the exception of The Peoples Republic of Boulder (left wing whackos) and the Springs (right wing whackos). ;) That said, I believe it's the most interesting and beautiful state in the Union. :D And as Lothar mentioned, they are certainly nuts about their sports teams here. It's a religion of zealots. Last Avs game I went to I think I was the only one not wearing an Avs jersey. :oops:
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Oh man and don't even start about the Broncos. John Elway is like a deity in Colorado...his picture is everywhere, not to mention his car dealerships :P