Mercenary won't start. Anyone seen this error yet?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Moon
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Mercenary won't start. Anyone seen this error yet?

Post by Moon »

Error
Unable to load level file
d3merc.d3l

Weirder and weirder. I haven't moved any files around but this message pops up.
Moon's Descendarium - THE single-player guide to Descent 1-3

Maintainer of The 'official' Descent 3 FAQ

Coming soon to a domain near you
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

General method to fixing problems with D3 and Merc, install D3 right over the old install, install merc over that, patch to 1.4.
Moon
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Moon »

Didn't work for me, had to do a complete reinstall of both D3 and Merc. Weird, cause this version was the one I'd made a backup of on DVD to stop scratching my original D3 discs even more thanks to the cheap packacking...
Moon's Descendarium - THE single-player guide to Descent 1-3

Maintainer of The 'official' Descent 3 FAQ

Coming soon to a domain near you
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

ah i had the same problem once, made a backup from my usb hdd. that d3 error pops up cause the uninstaller string+path for merc is missing in the windows registry.

just bind this keys to your registry with correct path and it works again:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Uninstall\\Descent3]
\"UninstallString\"=\"C:\\\\WINDOWS\\\\ISUN0407.EXE -fC:\\\\descent3\\\\Uninst.isu -cC:\\\\descent3\\\\d3uninst.dll\"
\"DisplayName\"=\"Descent 3\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Uninstall\\Descent3 Mercenary]
\"UninstallString\"=\"C:\\\\descent3\\\\unmerc.exe -c C:\\\\descent3\\\\\"
\"DisplayName\"=\"Descent 3: Mercenary\"

DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Actually it doesn't even have to be the correct path. I have not reinstalled D3 in years, even though I have formatted my boot drive several times and reinstalled the OS / changed computers several times. You just backup the registry entries in LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Outrage and Outrage Entertainment Inc.

Even if the registry points to C: and Descent3 is installed on D: or E: it will still work. I backed up my registry settings ages ago from a C: install, they work fine even though D3 is on D:.