Straight A's again(for the 1st semester) ^-^

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Straight A's again(for the 1st semester) ^-^

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

My report card came when I got home.
Anywho, here's my result from my 1st semester report card:
1. Government - A
2. Language Arts 12(I think) - A
3. Ceramics - A
4. American Sign Language 2 - A
5. Photoshop - A
6. Math 5 - A

P.S. Sorry for posting this topic.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

kuso!!!!!
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Way to go! Having straight A's is a pleasant feeling. Keep it up! :D
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

congratulations on scoring 100% efficiency in the school mines! :)
Scorch
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Scorch »

Wait a sec, are you still in high school?!? Holy crap you're young! Congrats on the grades and making me feel old :P
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

So, when do you start taking real high school courses? Or is this your senior year and you decided to fill it with fluff?
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

ccb056 wrote:So, when do you start taking real high school courses? Or is this your senior year and you decided to fill it with fluff?
It's my senior year.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

LMAO - I looked at that list of subjects and I wonder - what on earth use are any of them? The only thing which is even slightly useful is the Photoshop class - and even that's pretty bloody useless, because you can lock yourself in a room for 2 months and come out a Photoshop guru.

No - the Math is useless too - remember, I did senior year in a Rhode Island High School, and I remember sleeping through most of it and getting an A because senior year U.S. Maths was like the maths we did at age 15 in the 10th grade...

Anyway - I look at that list, and I'm convinced that US society is in dire trouble. You just have to KNOW that Asian countries (and India, et al) aren't bothered which such \"feel good\" triffles where students don't \"fail\" they merely \"don't achieve\". No, these other countries have their senior year students studying things like Mechanics (Newtonian - not the mechanical kind!), Physics, Biology, Computational Math, Statistical Analysis, English (Yeah, English), and Calculus. In other words, the subjects which will arm their society with the skills the win the battles of the 21st century.

Sorry to say, Government, Language Arts (WTF?), Ceramics and Ameslan don't come anywhere close.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Ah, it's good to know that Mobius can pass math while asleep and still not understand the basics of statistics and extrapolation.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Wait a second...
These are the actual subjects they teach in America?
DEAR LORD!

Seriosuly, In Ireland, the subjects are:

Maths, English, Irish (bloody useless, this is!), one European language,
And three (or more) out of the following:
Geography, history, biology, chemistry, physics, phys-chem, applied maths, technical drawing, art, music, accounting, business studies, economics.

Note the complete lack of any useless or incredibly simple subjects, such as Photoshop or Sign Language.

(Myself, I'm doing maths, Irish, English, French, applied maths, physics, and technical drawing)
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

How is technical drawing different than \"Photoshop\"?

And what possible use is there for a European language in America? You'd just get beaten up if you started talking with some snooty Euro accent.

And shouldn't they teach you a foreign language in Ireland, like, I don't know, American? Yous guys would be up shets crick without a paddle, knows what I means?
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

This is what my High School transcript looked like:

Computer Literacy I
This introductory course highlights the basic concepts of computers, information systems, and software applications. Some of the topics covered are input, processing, output, and storage, as well as word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation applications. Microsoft Office 2003 is used to teach these productivity software applications. This is a half-credit course required for all eighth grade students.

English I
This course is an intense study of the grammar, usage, and mechanics of the English language. The goal of the course is for the student to master the writing of grammatically correct and stylistically strong sentences. Vocabulary and novel reading are also stressed.

English II
The primary emphasis of the English II course is the unified, coherent, and emphatic writing of the paragraph. This is balanced with a \"genre\" approach to literature in which the student is introduced to the craft of the short story writer, the poet, the dramatist, and the novelist. Usage and mechanics topics learned in English I and relevant to writing are reviewed throughout the year and accompany continued novel reading and vocabulary study.

English III
The primary focus in this course is on writing an essay. Outlining, introduction, thesis statement, development, and conclusion are stressed along with elements of unity, coherence, and emphasis. Style is stressed after basic structural and mechanical elements have been mastered. The secondary focus of the course is the survey of American literature. Weekly vocabulary study and usage review are geared to improve writing and ACT/SAT preparation.

English IV
This course has a twofold emphasis: first, and more important, the writing of essays about literature (tone, comparison-contrast, character analysis, etc.) and the writing of a college level research paper; second, a survey of British literature. Vocabulary study and usage review continue on a weekly basis.

Fine Arts I
Fine Arts I is a practical, concise course of music history and appreciation. The course is nontechnical and may be readily understood by a student with no previous knowledge of, or experience with, music. Social, political, and cultural influences are mentioned for each historic period; however, the main focus of the course is music itself.

Fine Arts II
This course consists of an introduction to the evolutionary pattern of mankind’s attempt to express human feeling in an art form. The characteristics of the course are to present the students with a study of the great art works of the past and present. Some emphasis is directed to providing the student with the opportunity to express his individual talents in an art medium.

French I
French I is an introduction to the study of French. The student will develop a basic and proficient linguistic knowledge of French (vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation.) By means of listening exercises and videos, the student will develop the ability to communicate in French with proficiency, using those elements in meaningful, situation contexts involving the four basic skills of listening, speaking, reading, and writing.

French II
French II is offered to students who have had one year of high school French or have passed the French placement test given in the spring or summer before the school year. The student will further develop his knowledge of French and communicate in French with greater proficiency, by continuing the listening exercises and videos.

French III
French III is a continuation of French I and French II. It is offered to students who have had two years of high school French. French III stresses reading and oral skills. The class is conducted in French. A more advanced grasp of grammar and an extensive vocabulary are also stressed. Through exposure to literature and films, the student will achieve a greater understanding of French culture.

French IV
French IV is offered to students who have had three years of high school French. In French IV, the student will develop the ability to write essays which express in grammatically correct form his reaction to the thoughts, emotions, and stylistic elements presented in the course materials. In addition, the students' listening skills are developed in preparation for the French AP Exam.

Algebra I
Algebra I consists of the mastery of basic algebra skills up through finding the general solution to a quadratic equation.

Geometry
This is the formal study of Euclidian geometric systems and the logic behind the development of such systems, developing the students' critical thinking skills.

Algebra II
This course builds on the skills of previous courses and leads to the study of general algebraic theories and transcendental functions such as logarithmic and exponential.

Analysis
This is advanced functional analysis including a detailed study of trigonometric functions and side topics including sequences and series, probability, and vectors.

Calculus
This course develops the differential and integral calculus of a single variable with advanced placement of 6 to 10 hours college credit available through the College Board Advanced Placement program, depending on the AP course chosen.

Physical Science
This course is a study of matter and energy. It emphasizes everyday applications of physical laws. Emphasis is placed on helping the student develop and apply critical thinking process skills. The student is first introduced to the nature and methods of science in which he learns the importance of observation, measurement, and problem solving techniques. Following this introduction, the general topics are motion, energy, heat, work, machines, forms of matter, atomic structure, chemical bonds, periodic table of elements, organic chemistry, solutions, chemical reactions, waves (sound and light), mirrors, lenses, electricity, magnetism, radioactivity, nuclear reactions, and energy alternatives.

Biology I
The high school biology classroom is no longer just a place where facts are disseminated. The modern biology classroom is a place where a student not only learns the facts associated with the science of life, but also learns the various higher level thinking skills that are a requirement for a successful adult life. Critical thinking skills involve judging the validity of facts by collecting evidence that either supports the facts or refutes them. The general topics that are covered in the course are molecular biology, the cell, genetics, evolution, microorganisms, plants, animals, human biology, and ecology.

Chemistry I
In this course a student will study substances, especially their structure, composition, properties, and transformations. He will develop critical thinking and problem solving skills, not only to use in chemistry, but also, by extension, to use in everyday life. Topics covered include classification & phases of matter, energy, atomic structure, chemical formulas & equations, stoichiometry, gases, chemical periodicity, chemical bonding, solutions, kinetics & thermodynamics, chemical equilibrium, acids & bases, oxidation – reduction, electrochemistry, organic chemistry, and nuclear chemistry.

Physics
The central theme of this course is the interrelation of matter and energy. The underlying statement, theory, or law and the application of the principles to problem solving are presented within various topics of physical phenomena. Laboratory work and its interpretation are an essential part of this course. The various topics treated include mechanics, motion in a straight line, acceleration, vector analysis, Newton’s Laws, momentum, projectile & circular motion, work, power, energy, kinetic theory of gases, heat, radiant energy, mirrors & lenses, wave & quantum, theory of light, electricity, magnetism, and nuclear energy.

World Geography
The course consists of a detailed analysis of the physical characteristics that formed the geophysical nature of the earth. The student is given general information about the factors determining the political structure of geographical boundaries. Students are also made aware of the basic cultural characteristics of the coutries of the world. The scope of the course of study includes the Western and Eastern hemispheres.

American History
The course is designed to give the students a background to the formation of our national heritage. The scope of the course is designed to give the student an overview of American history form its beginnings through the present day. Emphasis is to associate the issues that most affected the American experience. Those taking the course for honors credit and advanced placement will be required to do outside research and submit comprehensive documentation of their impressions of that research.

Civics
This course consists of a study of the background to and the evolution of the United States government. Emphasis is placed upon understanding the underpinnings of government so that as well informed citizens our students can appreciate the duties of citizenship. Through a detailed analysis of the political system, our students will be able to related to the philosophical origins of our government and understand the practical applications of these philosophical principles.

Law Studies
The law studies course is primarily designed to give the student an understanding of the practical application of the principles of law. The student studies statutes of national, state, and city codes so as to undestand the reason for the law and its application. The course attempts to help the student through the application of precedents to decide the proper resolution of legal issues.

Speech I
Speech I is designed to acquaint the student with the fundamental techniques and basic principles essential to effective communication in most types of public speaking and to give the student an opportunity to develop skills in speaking through frequent practice and helpful criticism. The course is divided into six units, each emphasizing a different aspect of speech making. Each unit consists of readings to acquaint the student with important principles of speech, speaking performances to give him practice in mastering the techniques studied, and written and oral reports and exercises to aid in developing a better understanding of the fundamental processes of speech. In addition to these assignments, the instructor will announce periodic examinations.

Christianity
This course for prefreshmen provides an introduction to the basics of the Christian faith as understood and practiced by the Catholic Church. It also attempts to offer students a brief historical introduction to Saint Ignatius Loyola, the Society of Jesus, and Jesuit High School. The main areas of instruction include faith and revelation, the Creed, salvation through Jesus Christ, and the Catholic Church’s beliefs, worship, and moral life.

Sacred Scripture
This freshman course attempts to aid the student to appreciate the treasures of our faith found in God’s word by studying the Bible as the book of God’s actions in history. The class is a survey of and an introduction to the Bible. In this course, the student is taught to read and discuss a biblical text within the Catholic tradition. Topics include history, covenant, Gospel, Incarnation, the paschal mystery, and the Second Coming.

Church History
This semester course for sophomores considers the nature, origins, and development of Jesus’ Church. The students will examine the mission of the Church throughout its history, the relation of the Church to the world at large, the differences within Christianity, and the relation of Christianity to other religions.

Sacraments
This semester course for sophomores emphasizes the efficacy of God’s grace by investigating the development and meaning of the sacraments in the Roman Catholic Church. Topics include grace, symbol, ritual, liturgy, Christ and Church as Sacraments, and the seven sacraments.
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

I currently have (8th Grade):
Algebra 1 Honors
American History
Spanish 2
Web Design and Computer Maintenance
Language Arts (English)
Science (frogot what exact course)
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Re: Straight A's again(for the 1st semester) ^-^

Post by Ferno »

Sapphire Wolf wrote: 1. Government - A
2. Language Arts 12(I think) - A
3. Ceramics - A
4. American Sign Language 2 - A
5. Photoshop - A
6. Math 5 - A
1. Not 100% sure on this one but it might be what I think it is.. so it's useful.
2. Helps you understand the english language better and reflects in your writing. I'd say this is VERY useful.
3. An art class. bring beauty to the world.
4. a second language. also very useful.
5. Depending on your usage, I'd say it's useful aswell.
6. This is a no-brainer. :)

Well done, SW. In other words, stfu mobius :P
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

lol @ the word \"maths\"!

Mobius, if \"senior year math\" is anything like the \"senior algebra review\" course that my high school offered, you probably should have taken the initiative to take something more advanced like Calc1/2 instead.

Oh, and for some others of you, there are purposes to high school other than setting yourself up to getting an engineering \"degree.\" Or at least I would sincerely hope so.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

My cousin failed to get valedictorian in high school because she insisted on actually taking classes her senior year. They had these \"honor\" courses that were 5.0 classes. By senior year, the kids compeating for the valedictorian slot took the absolute minimum 4.0 classes that they could, so as not to dilute their gpa.

My cousin refused to follow the plan, got straight 4.0's, and lost out on the valedictorian position. Seems odd to reward people for taking fewer classes.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Topher wrote:How is technical drawing different than "Photoshop"?
Technical Drawing is usually pen-and-paper or CAD. It's to be able to draw any object precisely, in a multitude of views. It is absolutely vital if you want to do engineering!
Photoshop is... well... Photoshop is not.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by DCrazy »

That's not what he was asking.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

hrm ccb, your transcript is kinda similiar to mine:
8 Classes each year divided into 4 classes per semester starting from Freshmen year:
Lifetime Wellness (required)
Personal Computing (required... and boring)
English College Prep I
Physical Science
Algebra I (lasted the whole year)
World Geography
Financial Planning

Family & Cons. Science (required; learn to sew, cook, and how to raise babies)
Driver Training
Visual Art I
English CPII
Lation I
Unified Geometry
Biology I (lasted whole year)

Algebra II
U.S. History
Latin II
Chemistry I Honors (don't know why they call it honors...)
Chemistry English CP III
Speech
Chemistry II Honors
Honors Trignometry (That class was hell)

Sociology
U.S. Government
Physics Honors (dunno why that one's \"Honors\" neither)
Nutrition & Foods
English CP IV
Calculus
Pre-Calculus Honors
Economics

For all you high school kiddies out here, here's one tip: Take as high math courses possible... it's well worth it because you will kick butt in math classes in college. 8)
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Grats Sapphire Wolf, a lot of people never received straight A's. You should be proud.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Good job Wolf.

It should also be known that people who threadcrap in someone else's thread just to pick on someone half their age in order to make themselves feel better are lowlifes. That particular lowlife being Mobius.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Eh, he doesn't live here. What does he know about our education? :lol:
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Sounds like he went there once and kind of found out a little about it.

Random comment: The term \"wellness\" needs to die. Seriously. What's wrong with \"health\", or \"well-being\" - neither of which sound like a partially-fluent foreign speaker came up with them?

Anyway. Mathematics - yeah take them to whatever extent you can if you intend on working or studying in a field that involves the sciences in any way. You are practically going to need it.

I do not speak of my grades though. They just make people hate me. :)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Sirius wrote:I do not speak of my grades though. They just make people hate me. :)
[Nod] Now that I'm out of school, the only time I feel I should tout my own GPA/honors/etc. is on my résume.

It's a bit different when you're in school, though. While you don't want to be arrogant about it, you've worked hard for your grades, and deserve a congratulatory "pat on the back" from time to time.

Good work, S.W.! :D
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Lol...

After my sophomore year my classes were primarily AP classes, with the occasional blowoff class/elective.

Even my senior year I was in 5 APs...did very little homework, slept through most classes, get As on my tests/4s and 5s on my exams...

Honestly dude, I would be ashamed if you DIDN'T get perfect grades with a schedule like that...
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Topher »

Foil wrote:[Nod] Now that I'm out of school, the only time I feel I should tout my own GPA/honors/etc. is on my résume.
GPA doesn't really matter though once you have a job.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Very true. Academic prowess doesn't necessarily translate to real-world success.

The reason I note my GPA/honors on my own résume (down with my degree info) is to show consistency, that I was able to maintain the same high level all the way through graduate school.

Of course, now that I've been out of school for a few years, the focus of my résume is my experience and work history.