newbie lingo help

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

newbie lingo help

Post by TheCops »

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... WSE&depa=1

someone suggested i buy this with a P4 2.8 , it looks nice. does it matter if it's "refurbished"? what does "OEM" mean specifically? should i pay $100 bux for this MB new? does "barebones" mean it comes with no cables or driver cd?

thanx for your time... and i'm sure you are laughing at me... but oh well.

-TheCops
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

I'd avoid it, personally. I bought a refurbished Asus board off Newegg and it had some cold-boot issues, then decided to die on me. The OEM and barebones means that you get just the board, no cables, drivers, manual, backplate, or accessories.

The money you save buying a refurb board may or may not be worth the risk of additional headaches later on.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

thank you.
spanks
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

OEM means "Original Equipment Manufacturer".

There are several uses of the word:

"PART NAME - OEM" - this will generally mean it's the genuine item but comes in a plain white box. It won't come with bundled ANYTHING. If it's a video card, it won't have DVI/Mini D-Sub converter, it won't have games, or anything at all except drivers.

"OEM brand" usually indicates that something is made by a pure manufacturer for another company. For example, SONY don't make DVD drives. They have companies which make DVD drives for them. So these companies will have the right to sell the exact same drive, but without the SONY name on it.

These items are always cheaper, but remain identical except for the brand on the front panel.

"OEM" can also mean "Not available in the retail channel". So for example - "Windows XP Pro OEM" is only available from a distributor when you buy a Processor and Motherboard also. (Although generally, many distributors do not enforce this rule.)

An OEM part is always cheaper than a retail part - if only because of the lack of bundling and packaging costs.

As a rule, OEM parts are GOOD. But you may have to buy other parts (Like that DVI converter I mentioned, or cables for example) to complete a system.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

thanx mobius.

i'm looking into P4 2.8 or above. is there a known solid manufacturer for motherboards? or is it the ford chevy/ white girl asian girl/right hand left hand debate?

also, so i don't clog this place with my basic questions... is there a good site (a walk through) on how to build a pc? a very quiet pc.

thank you for your time
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

www.extremetech.com have a good beginners guide for building PCs.

If you want quiet - then make sure you buy the RETAIL P4 box - which includes the Intel heatsink and fan. These units are pretty quiet.

Don't Get the P4E model - get the P4C (Northwood) cored variety. 3.0 GHZ Northwood is about the sweetspot now - and overclocking on air at standard volatges with even semi-decent DDR433 (or even DDR400 with relaxed timings) should see you hit 3.5 GHz easy.

Motherboards are about Feature-set. I wouldn't quibble about benchmark results - but you'll be wanting an i865 Intel chipset motherboard. Just about everyone makes one. Gigabyte make a VERY nice range of i865 boards.

Whatever you get - make sure it has at least 2x SATA ports.

Buy a good power supply too - don't scrimp on that! (Tears before bed time!)