\"Zero tolerance\" gone wrong

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

\"Zero tolerance\" gone wrong

Post by Grendel »

Members of the area Chinese community have rallied behind a Clements High School senior who was removed from the campus and sent to M.R. Wood Alternative Education Center after parents complained he’d created a computer game map of Clements.
Article

How could that happen, kicking a senior out of HS for creating a CS map ? Scary.
ImageImage
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

yeah.. terrorist wielding hammers must really be stamped out. they Should have mobilized the local guard unit. :roll:

On the flip side, making a map of the college to to game in was in poor taste and a bad laps in judgement on his part, but the actions of the school and community (the ones freeking out) was over the top.

but Really.. \"police Seize hammer from adolecent Chinese boy! Film at 10:00!!!!\"

go team...

. I noticed that they didn't state what it was he was playing. I assume it was a FPS.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

Hahaha....that is just funny. We deserve the country that we're turning this one into.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

morons
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I'm sorry, but \"zero tolerance\" is a load of ★■◆●. What ever happened to common sense?
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I believe the game was Counter-Strike.

In today's world of depraved school shooters who condemn society and indict the world for their problems, the police taking this fellow aside and having a conversation with him was the right thing to do.

But the school made the wrong decision in expelling the student when it was abundantly clear there was no wrongdoing.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Authorities do stuff like this to either hide the fact that they have absolutely no idea how to stop many of the problems in their society, or to hide the fact that they do know how to stop those problems but don't want to make a required sacrifice!

It's like the problem with racism in America. Whenever they see a famous person or company did something that may in some small way be racist, like making a billboard of a fight between a black person and a white person, there's no end to their complaints! But when it's their turn, they-
oh...
they do something like this.
Kyouryuu wrote:I believe the game was Counter-Strike.
Ah, a game about stopping terrorism. That 's... interesting.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re:

Post by Mobius »

MD-2389 wrote:I'm sorry, but "zero tolerance" is a load of *****. What ever happened to common sense?
If you examine history, I think you'll discover common sense in your government died shortly after GW moved into the White House.

It's still alive and kicking in the American population of course. Fortunately, stupidity doesn't rub off easily, and it is tough to catch.

It's easy to demonstrate too: Ron Paul was the most favoured debater at the current MSNBC presidential poll. That tells you common sense isn't dead.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Mobius just what exactly did Bush have to do with the decision to kick this kid out of school? Bush didn't make them over react!
It's going to be quite a wake up call after the next election for a lot of people when Bush is long gone but the world is still a hard place and the democrats are have no one to blame for the decisions they have to make.
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

Fail, Mobius. You meant to say \"It's easy to demonstrate, too\"; you forgot the comma. You also said \"that\", which, if I recall correctly, is evil and should be banned from the English language.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Will Robinson wrote:Mobius just what exactly did Bush have to do with the decision to kick this kid out of school?
Nothing. Mobius just wanted a reason to rant about Bush.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Firewheel wrote:Fail, Mobius. You meant to say "It's easy to demonstrate, too"; you forgot the comma. You also said "that", which, if I recall correctly, is evil and should be banned from the English language.
"that" is being used as a pronoun in the sentence, not a preposition. It is used correctly.

Common sense hasn't existed in politics. Ever. ...if you read and understand your history. It was never honorable and good. There have always been those in office that were power mongers and lier and those who did many things underhandedly. I would hardly say that Clinton was bubbling over with common sense. :roll:
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

haha, i made a map of my highschool for Duke Nukum 3D.
EVERYONE HAS MADE A MAP OF THEIR SCHOOL!

Considering games that involve terrorism like CS, yeah i can see how ppl may get freaked out. But this should be tempered by the knowledge of the sheer number of people who play these games. Millions of ppl play CS, you can't expect ppl to NOT make maps of places they know. It's an expected cultural phenomenon.

I bet the simple explanation is that the school doesn't realise how common it is for ppl to make maps of places they live in. So once again it's fear caused by ignorance.

It's like arresting kids for playing cops and robbers, not realising every kid in the world plays cops and robbers.
Attempting to man-handle culture and children's development within that culture is like trying to hold back the tide with the gypsy charms.
Children evolve our culture. What we grew up fearing, they grow up comfortable with. Terrorism is just cops and robbers to them. We should be so lucky to see things through the eyes of our children.
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Hattrick »

Mobius wrote:If you examine history, I think you'll discover common sense in your government died shortly after GW moved into the White House.
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!one eleven

Thanks for the morning laugh.

All you have to do is look one president back to falsify that statement. If you look farther back you will notice common sense became a non requirement a loooooooooong time ago.
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

This country is suffering a nervous breakdown.

I really hope this is appealed or re-evaluated or something. He obviously did nothing wrong. He made a map for a video game with the same layout as his school. It's not like he was editing in his classmates faces to the game characters or something menacing, and even if he WAS, you wouldn't expel him, you'd get him some help.

This is bull★■◆●.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by snoopy »

Mobius wrote:
MD-2389 wrote:I'm sorry, but "zero tolerance" is a load of *****. What ever happened to common sense?
If you examine history, I think you'll discover common sense in your government died shortly after GW moved into the White House.

It's still alive and kicking in the American population of course. Fortunately, stupidity doesn't rub off easily, and it is tough to catch.

It's easy to demonstrate too: Ron Paul was the most favoured debater at the current MSNBC presidential poll. That tells you common sense isn't dead.
I think you mean this:
If you examine history, I think you'll discover common sense in any government died shortly after it was enacted, without exception.
Really..... Salem witch trials.... Communist head hunting.... The holocaust.... CS map maker persecution.....

It's been happening for ages- while it's easy to fear that it's getting worse, I don't think it really is. Human stupidity is one of the things that has endured the ages, and intolerance is something we all perpetrate, despite our best efforts. Our job is to make sure that we are moving toward being the lesser of the guilty.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

What stood out IMHO was that he not only got expelled but also sent to the \"Wood Alternative Education Center\".
ImageImage
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

What if I made a map of my neighborhood in Need For Speed? Should my license be suspended?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

This article has pictures of the map. check it out it's a pretty good map!

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/03/image ... stic-maps/
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Testiculese wrote:What if I made a map of my neighborhood in Need For Speed? Should my license be suspended?
Yes, of course.
;)
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

roid wrote:This article has pictures of the map. check it out it's a pretty good map!

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/03/image ... stic-maps/
Hey, that is pretty good!

Hmm... I wonder if I could find a map of the Virgiia Tech...
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Good, he should of gotten expelled.
I mean, what moron actually plays Counter Strike?!?!??!
:P j/k
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

I wonder if the architects that designed that school will sue for copyright infringment.