Transnformers.

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Transnformers.

Post by Duper »

Great clip by Blur. I've not seen this one yet.

See it Here

These guys do some amazing work.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

im ganna go see it tues morning
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I plan on seeing it also this week. Saw Ratatouille and Shrek 3 this weekend.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I want to see it Tues, but I probably won't be able too. Nor on Wednesday. So, hopefully Saturday.

That looks like a clip from the 360 game. No squishy humans and everything looks a tad bit small in scale somehow.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

yup it is from the game. Blur did the work for the in game cuts.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Hey look, this explains how the war began!!

Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

Just saw the movie tonight. I definitely recommend it
Another Soul Korrupted
http://www.korrupted.net
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

OMG OMG OMG OMG

:O

its a must see BIG TIME.

i want it on DVD now
HighOctane_Jared
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by HighOctane_Jared »

I was expecting the movie to be a dud, and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Not the best movie I have ever seen, but still pretty good.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Is this after a comic? It looks like it is ... and the target group are high school teenagers ... :P

The good and the bad guys, this time as bots, with a lot of super human capabilities and some nice human touch (wow - machines that feel!), a heck of a lot of (totally irrational) tech plus a love story between two young guys ...

Maybe I'll watch it - I love the tech part. :roll:
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Diedel wrote:Is this after a comic?
It was actually originally a toy line, which later became a comic and a cartoon TV series. The DBB is mostly made up of the key demographic that would've watched the series -- males born in the late 70's and early 80's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers_%28fiction%29
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I just found out that the original transformers turned into German cars - at least some of them (Bumblebee: Beetle, Jazz: Porsche).

The movie is a big GM PR stunt: All the bots turn into GM cars or trucks. GM brand manager Bernacchi even said \"you will hardly notice the actors\".

:lol:
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Diedel wrote:I just found out that the original transformers turned into German cars - at least some of them (Bumblebee: Beetle, Jazz: Porsche).

The movie is a big GM PR stunt: All the bots turn into GM cars or trucks. GM brand manager Bernacchi even said "you will hardly notice the actors".

:lol:
Do your homework first Diedle - :P

Volkswagen's ( AKA Porsche/Audi/Bugatti ) rejection on the grounds that they did not want to associate their vehicles with war-themed media

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Sure, and the only car company left was GM. Alright. Sorry I didn't get that right away. :P

Where have you got your wisdom from anyway? And since when is Porsche a Volkswagen subsidiary? Homework, right? :P

Know what? They simply don't need that kind of PR. They are selling their cars just fine in the U.S. of A. So they didn't want to give 2 dozen or so cars to for that production for free. I bet nobody hindered the film makers to purchase a few Beetles and Porsches. :P

Oh no, it was a \"war is evil\" conspiracy of these German nazi communist pacifist drivelling liberal backstabber fiends.

Homework, oh yeah. :lol:
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Wop »

Diedel wrote:Where have you got your wisdom from anyway? And since when is Porsche a Volkswagen subsidiary? Homework, right? :P
Subsidiary? No. Close relationship to the point where they share the same parts and technologies amongst each other with Porsche having a (if I remember correctly) %20 stake in VW, then yes.

I want to see it soon, but im going to wait until the "crowd filler" dies down after a couple of weeks. Nothing like watching a movie while listening to the sound of 100 people chewing and smacking on their health-killing snacks. And the 7-year olds who spill their coke and popcorn on the floor. :roll:
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

what.. you don't know that Porsche is Volkswagen's luxury/performance arm?

and somehow I doubt very much VW said no.. I believe it's more along the lines of Bay not approaching them in the first place.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

My brother called me this morning... \"Guess where I am?\" \"uh, I don't know.\" \"I've been waiting a whole year.\" \"Oh, you're at the Transformers movie.\" \"Yeah, I'm in the theater, in my seat. The movie starts in an hour and a half.\"

Wow.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Porsche is completely independent. They definitely don't belong to the VAG. I don't know whether they have some sort of collaboration, but I don't even think so.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You are proving me right. VAG belongs to Porsche for a part (Porsche has VAG shares), not Porsche to VAG.

Anyway. There's only GM cars in that movie. Don't tell me that's not a PR stunt. :P
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

I never claimed complete ownership, but enough to share parts, engines and bodystyles (toureag/cayenne)
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Money! »

Ferno wrote:what.. you don't know that Porsche is Volkswagen's luxury/performance arm?
This just isn't true. They have close ties, but VW:Porsche is not the same as Nissan:Infiniti, Toyota:Lexus, Honda:Acura.

And I was noticing that all the cars were GM cars as well. They do that a lot in movies and TV shows now. It happens. Get used to it!

But back to the movie... It was just what it should be. Super predictable, corny, yet so frickin' awesome. It's your run of the mill love story, run of the mill good guy vs. bad story, run of the mill more than meets the eye story, and more. But since the producers/writers/directors didn't get any crazy ideas about making this something different, they adapted a new idea to the cookie cutter form and executed it well.
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by Flatlander »

Back in 2003, Hasbro tried to obtain licenses from several German car manufacturers for their Alternators collector's line (1:24 scale, licensed, realistic vehicles that transformed into robots inspired by the original toys) but was unsuccessful for the reason stated by Bubbalou. From wikipedia @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers:_Alternators

\"The very first car mold developed for the Alternators-Binaltech line was the Porsche 986 Boxster originally conceived as Autobot Jazz. Porsche rejected any involvement with \"war machines,\" making it impossible to attain the license for the figure's release, although photographs of the original prototype do exist.
Hasbro has also been actively seeking a license from Volkswagen in order to update the original Autobot, Bumblebee (who was a Volkswagen Beetle). Volkswagen declined, presumably due to their World War II history, claiming that, as with Porsche, they do not endorse \"war toys.\" All Alternators sport some manner of weaponry (with the exception of the Alternator Windcharger, because Honda America refused to allow a barrel to be added to his gun) and thus Hasbro insisted that Bumblebee carry a gun. Concept drawings of the Bumblebee toy and a Cliffjumper remold still exist and the design made a cameo as a possible future Bumblebee in the Botcon 2005 comic, \"Descent into Evil.\"
Hasbro and Takara tried to get a license for a MINI Cooper from BMW, the owners of the MINI brand. BMW said that as long as the figure did not have a gun, they would approve it. The problem was that Hasbro-Takara had already started creating the prototype, prompting BMW to revoke the license.\"
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Lothar wrote:My brother called me this morning... "Guess where I am?" "uh, I don't know." "I've been waiting a whole year." "Oh, you're at the Transformers movie." "Yeah, I'm in the theater, in my seat. The movie starts in an hour and a half."

Wow.

ROFLMAO!!!!

I have brothers just like that. .. I'm like: o_0 ok dude.. :lol:
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Diedel wrote:You are proving me right. VAG belongs to Porsche for a part (Porsche has VAG shares), not Porsche to VAG.

Anyway. There's only GM cars in that movie. Don't tell me that's not a PR stunt. :P
OK, it's NOT a PR "stunt".... It's simple Movie Making Economics 101.

Simple. In order to have a vehicle porminent in a movie, they either have to hide the brand or get permission from the auto maker to use the vehicle. One of two ways to get their vehicles in the movie. 1) What auto maker was willing to let their vehicles be used in the movie for the lowest price... and 2) which auto maker was willing to pitch in the most funding for the movie thus earning the right to have their vehicles in the movie. (like paying for commercials at the Super Bowl) With the cost of special effects laden movies these days, something/somebody has to help with the funding.

For example: Chrysler had substantial stake in Fantastic Four II in order to have their brand name on the Fantasticar so prominently.

It's not a "PR stunt", it's like I said, simple Movie Making Economics 101.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Thats not the only example. It wasn't a PR stunt when all GM cars appeared in the Matrix Trilogies. Same thing.

I had alot of fun pausing and stepping through the highway chase scene in Reloaded trying to identify all of the cars that were there.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Yah, the movie was good. The teaser for \"Cloverfield\" was better.
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

I'm about five to ten years too young to have seen the original animated series, but I did have a few toys when I was a kid. I've heard good things about the movie, so maybe I'll go see it.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

I remember the original animated series when it first came out. Loved it!
Heck, the Transformer - generation 1 toys were the best back in the day! 8)
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Neo »

HighOctane_Jared wrote:I was expecting the movie to be a dud, and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Not the best movie I have ever seen, but still pretty good.
You hit the nail on the head. =P ^_~
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

Top Wop wrote:Thats not the only example. It wasn't a PR stunt when all GM cars appeared in the Matrix Trilogies. Same thing.

I had alot of fun pausing and stepping through the highway chase scene in Reloaded trying to identify all of the cars that were there.
I wasn't aware of that. I bet GM took the chance there too to try and draw a bit more attention to their cars.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Yes, the Autobots hate Germany. j/k ;)

My point is.... GM or no GM.... who cares anyway? It's a movie and they had to go with the best deal for them. You would think that they could afford a VW though. Ah well. Bumbblebee looks better as a Camaro anyway. ;)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You are right. It doesn't really matter. But this is the chit-chat place, right? :)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Bottom Line - The Movie Rocked - needs to be seen on the Full Screen

Anyone who has an issue with this movie should ask their parents for a refund from the doctor.

Funny thing - I love how I didn't actually say who owned who, but a pissing match broke out about it anyway!!

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Oh boy, you got some problems there.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Oh boy, your problems and the money of Bill Gates, and I'd be the happiest person in the world.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

screenshot!
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Just saw it. Was good but could of used less comedy. Sorry but being a kid in the 80's when this was popular and seeing it now, just not the type for me to be comedic.

Anyone know the preview they showed that is coming out in Jan 08 know the title of the movie?

Edit: I think it's called Cloverfield. No trailer on net yet.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Cloverfield, what's that? Going to see it tommorow. :D
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

This movie kicked serious ass. 8)