Are you right or left brained?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Are you right, left or use both sides equally?

I am left brained.
18%
I am right brained.
36%
I use both sides equally.
45%

Total votes: 22
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Are you right or left brained?

Post by VonVulcan »

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/health/ ... ml?taf=den

I seem to be primarily left brained, though it seems to a bit deficient. :wink:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I initially saw it spinning clockwise, but I can quickly reverse it or make it wave back and forth easily.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

interesting, the girl starts out spinning clockwise for me. But by most standard indicators, I'm quite left brained. When I try to draw, I have to fight or I represent things by symbols instead of actual shapes. Trying to use my left hand to do any complex task is very difficult. And intuition is certainly not a strong point for me.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Apparently I am right brained...
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

apparently you are triple post brained. :D
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Hint: only when it says \"Fatal/Critical Error\" does the post not go through...
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 61,00.html
apparently most of us are supposed to be LEFT brained, but i dunno - i think that's just trying to make people feel special. From what i've seen in these tests most people are actually RIGHT brained.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

yup, i'm right handed so im left brain3d! :mrgreen:
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Pandora »

roid wrote:apparently most of us are supposed to be LEFT brained, but i dunno - i think that's just trying to make people feel special. From what i've seen in these tests most people are actually RIGHT brained.
From a neuroscience perspective, this left-brained/right-brained distinction is hogwash. There are a few functions that are lateralized, like emotion on the right, and action control on the left, but people of course use both sides of their brain equally. The same goes for the "we only use 10% of our brains" myth that scientology is promoting to get people to pay for activating the remaining 90%.
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

They probably mean that \"we\" only use some 10% of our intellectual
capacities. Consider the bitching you so often see in d3 games while
everyone still keeps playing it. ;)

D1 / D2 / Forsaken anyone...?
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

When I first viewed it, I thought of it as clock wise, then I saw it change to counterclockwise, then back to clock wise. Then I closed the window and then viewed it again, seeing the same result. I decided that I disagreed with the experiment :P .

So I took this little brain quiz and it told me that I scored 13 for left brain and 8 for right brain. Guess I'm mostly left brained. :wink:

I've taken some tests for classes in high school a few times, and I vaguely remember the results showing that I an very analytical and instinctive.
Wheeze87
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wheeze87 »

I originally saw her spinning counter clockwise... But then as i read the text, and looked back, she was spinning the other way... So i guess i use both...
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

Pandora wrote:
roid wrote:apparently most of us are supposed to be LEFT brained, but i dunno - i think that's just trying to make people feel special. From what i've seen in these tests most people are actually RIGHT brained.
From a neuroscience perspective, this left-brained/right-brained distinction is hogwash. There are a few functions that are lateralized, like emotion on the right, and action control on the left, but people of course use both sides of their brain equally. The same goes for the "we only use 10% of our brains" myth that scientology is promoting to get people to pay for activating the remaining 90%.
you should write in and tell em :)
i'm sick of seeing uninformed science news storys
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

Darn, and I was gonna submit my findings to JAMA...
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

oh cool.

with just a little practice I could get it going either way and switch when i wanted. ^^
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Tip: If the media reports something, it is most likely wrong.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

dude, the media reported Saddam's death

what does this mean?
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Heh

Been there, discussed that :D Though it is an interesting topic.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

It's been said that the left brain is supposed to be the logical side and the right brain is supposed to be the emotional side.

Males have less connectivity between the two hemispheres and tend to do better at logic and reasoning, a left side dominance. Math skills, 3D spacial orientation tend to be better in males for example.

Females however have much more connectivity between the two sides of their brain, so the right side tends to have much more influence, hence the better understanding of things with fuzzy logic, like language and social interactions. Emotions play a bigger part in thinking as well.

However, studies are starting to find that the testosterone/estrogen hormone ratio that the fetus is exposed to in the uterus early in development can influence the formation and wiring of the brain, regardless of the genetic sex of the fetus. You can get a wide variation in brain hemisphere dominance in both males and females. So with the test posted above maybe there's now a way to determine which side of your brain is dominant.
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

I only see it going clockwise and no other way, cant switch back and forth at all.

edit: If i look at it up-side-down the figure switches to what would be anti-clockwise if i was sitting right-side-up.

I guess i'm totally right-brained.
Though, i fit almost nothing of a right brained type of person, and everything of a left brained one.

How does that work, exactly? If it can be spinning in two directions at the same time, and I can see one direction when I'm up-side-down, and the other when i'm right-side-up, why doesn't the image shift if I freeze the video and then change directions? If I un-freeze it, it'll just keep spinning with whatever direction i'm facing.
suicide eddie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by suicide eddie »

sorry what was the question again? i was busy looking at the tight bod :P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Re:

Post by Krom »

suicide eddie wrote:sorry what was the question again? i was busy looking at the tight bod :P
And then, there are some people that don't use their higher brain functions at all. ;)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I was watching the rotating girl and found with practice I was able to reverse the direction back and forth. However, for fun I tried it out using one eye at a time and found that she rotates one way with the left eye and the other way with the right eye. Weird! Try it!

What does it mean? Hmmmmmmm. :lol:
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Code: Select all

∧_∧   
         ( ´∀`) No matter which eye i use, she spins clockwise
        /    | 
    __∠_ \_ 、\__
          \_)\_) \
    __________\
      ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ | | ̄
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Pandora »

roid wrote:i'm sick of seeing uninformed science news storys
same here. Just went to the site agai and found that they already linked to a follow-up story that basically says that the whole left/right-brain thing is humbug:
some psychology professor wrote:This idea that you are left-brain or right-brain is complete bunkum (...) To say someone who thinks with their right-brain will be creative is hogwash. There is simply no evidence for it.
Directly below they of course list the usual tripe about the right brain being "creative" etc.

edit: found a little bit of critical discussion here
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

this is supposed to be news, these people are supposed to know what they are doing.
What on earth happened to FACT CHECKING this stuff before publishing - when did news companies stop doing this.

this just makes so many news stations/channels just part of the FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:funnyjokeaboutpenguins FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:medicalemergency:hatsgiveyoucancer idiocy that some of us try hard to avoid.

★■◆●ing attrocious
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

As far as it seems, i'm mostly Right brained, although at sometimes (with a bit of concentration) i saw it counter clockwise for a few seconds.

I think this test is right, it shows me that i'm most Right brained and it fits with the fact that i'm a Musician/Composer and like the arts very much.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

The current state of science journalism is abysmal --- they just copy each other, without checking with the original publication, and with every copy it departs further from the truth. I saw this when one of my papers got a bit of media attention. The first reports were accurate enough, if a bit over the top. But with every day it got worse and worse, and at the end the reported story was almost the complete opposite of what we found.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Pandora wrote:... I saw this when one of my papers got a bit of media attention. The first reports were accurate enough, if a bit over the top. But with every day it got worse and worse, and at the end the reported story was almost the complete opposite of what we found.
Not surprising, but interesting nonetheless. Can you give us a synopsis and possibly links to the early and later media stories?