New system, new D3 graphical problems

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

New system, new D3 graphical problems

Post by Sedwick »

Well, I'm bonding more with my new computer every day, but I made some nasty discoveries trying to play Descent 3. In the setup dialog from the launch screen, I have the following options for video rendering:

If I select OpenGL, which I'm pretty sure I saw a logo for on boot, I get flickery artifacts, like the wrong texture is trying to butt in on certain surfaces:
I also started one game while Paint was also running, and it took only the lower-left quadrant of the game screen and stuck it in the upper left quadrant, with my other apps visible behind (alongside) it and my mouse locked in the center until I switched apps!

If I play in Direct3D mode, my 3D looks fine but my 2D elements are screwed up, like the menus and targeting reticle:

I'm running D3 at 1280x960 resolution with high detail. My motherboard is an Intel E4500 with a 2.2GHz Core2 Duo. I've been told the integrated graphics and their inadequacies may be behind the artifacts and that even a low-end graphics card should solve it. Should I try installing the OpenGL drivers from the setup? Or something else?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

It's a driver issue.

try D3d until they have an update. Hard luck. Nice system. :)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

I would suggest to invest in a dedicated graphics card. The chipset graphics is simply not ment to play games. I doubt that you will ever see a driver for the G985 that will fully work w/ D3 at a decent framerate.
ImageImage
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Grendel wrote:I would suggest to invest in a dedicated graphics card. The chipset graphics is simply not ment to play games. I doubt that you will ever see a driver for the G985 that will fully work w/ D3 at a decent framerate.

x2

There are some decent ones that are around $100 or even under.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

Grendel wrote:I would suggest to invest in a dedicated graphics card. The chipset graphics is simply not ment to play games. I doubt that you will ever see a driver for the G985 that will fully work w/ D3 at a decent framerate.
x3, I guarantee this is your problem.
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by grizz »

Yeah, even a used 64mb nvidia off of Ebay is better than Intel integrated graphics. I've never had D3 play well with those.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Re:

Post by Warlock »

Duper wrote:It's a driver issue.

try D3d until they have an update. Hard luck. Nice system. :)
i agree just use D3D for now
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

Update! My brother-in-law immediately upgraded the video card on his new system last summer and made the old card, an NVIDEA GeForce 7350 LE, his birthday gift to me. I just installed it without a hitch (although the alternating bands of sharpness and blurriness during the driver search was a little scary!) and my D3 graphics--now OpenGL--are fixed! My textures are stable, my menus and reticle are fine, and I'll be back online soon as I practice a little more with my new controls. Thanks everyone for your attention and advice!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Awesome!

As with any new system, check for driver updates; motherboard included!
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I have never had the best results with the “latest” drivers as far as D3 is concerned, I always get a good stable set and stick with them.

But if you have problems with other programs, you may want to update.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Excellent! See ya in da' mines!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Spidey wrote:I have never had the best results with the “latest” drivers as far as D3 is concerned, I always get a good stable set and stick with them.

But if you have problems with other programs, you may want to update.
I only had trouble like that with Nvidia. (my 6600GT) ATI never gave me much trouble. /I actually had trouble with D3d for a while with ATI. ... go figure. And a driver update fixed that.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Cheap video cards FTW! I've been rocking a geforce 6200 for over a year now.