Hahaha

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Hahaha

Post by VonVulcan »

(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

That's funny!
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

I removed Vista a week ago. Windows Update being broken and impossible to fix was the straw that broke the camels back.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

My laptop came with Vista, I booted it once then stuck in the XP disk and formatted away.
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

Microsoft has made SUCH a big mistake...
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

LOL!!

i havent even gotten a PC with Vista on it to repair yet?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Ace it's hard to tell it if they're broken or it's just Vista being Vista
mistercool2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by mistercool2 »

asta la Vista ..... baby!

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Vista SP1 now GOLD. Due out Mid March. Wife has it on her home PC and it runs smooth.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

No problems with Vista on my work machine. It's not touching my home machines however. ;)
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by DarkShadow »

JMEaT wrote:No problems with Vista on my work machine. It's not touching my home machines however. ;)
It is on my wife's laptop it took me about 5 minutes to decide I don't want anything to do with it and that has not changed yet. I hate doing most anything on it Tech wise. It will never be on mine either.
mistercool2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by mistercool2 »

All I know about Vista is what I hear, but I've had every version since Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (my first computer) and don't plan on switching from XP for as loooooong as possible. :D
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Interesting. Of all the problems people keep telling me about Vista, I've never experienced a single one. Runs great on my main desktop and laptop, and has never crashed (something I can't say of my old XP install, or my XP x64 work machine).
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

I had it on my work laptop had so many issues. Ran fine at 1st then started to slow down and later on it would take 30min to open a 30K ss file and I couldent use my serial port to gwt in to are routers so vista went bye bye

And ob my home comp I'm sticking to XP64
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Red_5 »

Foil wrote:Interesting. Of all the problems people keep telling me about Vista, I've never experienced a single one. Runs great on my main desktop and laptop, and has never crashed (something I can't say of my old XP install, or my XP x64 work machine).
>shudder<

Vista requires WAY to much power just to run the UI and other such stuff, the backwards compatibility is horrible (for me), and the whole "Tell me more about..." links thing makes me feel like it thinks I'm stupid.

>shudder<
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

LOL, it's funny and good idea.

Lucky, I didn't get freaking Vista after got a new computer. It's close, my PC is 2 years old. I know about that Vista, it's a Nazi.

Microsoft is stupidest, Halo 2 requires Vista only to play... :x
mistercool2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by mistercool2 »

My web site tracker shows 80% are using XP and a little over 10% Vista. This is based on 27,000+ unique visitors for the last 8 months. Although it hasn't been out long enough for a fair comparison, it ain't too popular right now.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sedwick »

Jim Louderback of PC Magazine wrote:VISTA DEATH SPIRAL ACCELERATES: We will see the first service pack for Windows Vista in 2008, but it won't help. The latest version of Windows will remain a bloated, unstable, unappealing, and slow system. Although most PCs will ship with Vista, most users will long for XP. Sure, networking will get better, and maybe the current crop of drivers will improve. But don't hold your breath. By the end of 2008, Vista will be even more despised than it is today.

Oh, and even more bad news for Vista. It'll own a huge chunk of the computer market by December, making it irresistible for hackers worldwide. Expect to see some major Vista nastybots crop up this year.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I've been using Vista long enough now to realize it’s not as bad as people say. I don't see the bloat-ware. If you add/remove the junk you don't need it runs great, and the system I'm running it on is by no means a super computer. It's a humble Core Duo 1.8 GHz and 1.5GB RAM on a 5400 RPM drive and a Intel Mobile graphics chip. I run the Aero Glass interface with no lag or slowdowns.

Security wise, it is way ahead of XP with its virtualization used in system folders and IE7. I work at a help desk a few days out of the week and our IT dept. has a quarantine system in place that reports/locks a computer that is infected with malware. The only machines that roll in are mostly XP machines. Vista is very rare to see (And it makes up the majority of the systems on our campus). The others are Macs, and they come in about the same frequency as Vista (We actually see less Vista machines than Macs)

Mac OSX 10.5.1 really doesn’t like our wireless network here (We use 802.1x, RADIUS). I think 10.5 was more of a joke than Vista, IMHO (Not knocking the Mac users here.)

If you turn off most of the bells and whistles of Vista, it performs on par with XP, in an office environment at least. I do not use the OS on my personal gaming rigs. The UAC, while annoying, does prevent Joe User from screwing up the system. If you are an advanced user, it's easy to turn off to revert to XP's Admin functionality. Last month's MaximumPC mag had a review of a Vista gaming rig that ran faster than their XP machine (Not in all areas, but it's a start). Link: Read page 44 I think developers are learning to code smarter in Vista, and MS is (slowly) fixing the gaming side of the OS.

I don't think SP1 is going to change Vista that much. The only thing that it fixes that I am looking forward to are the sometimes strange hiccups in file moves.

Vista is no different than XP was back in the day. We all clutched tight to our Win98 SE boxes swearing against the evil XP upgrade and bloated OS.

How history repeats, eh? ;)
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

JMEaT wrote:Vista is no different than XP was back in the day. We all clutched tight to our Win98 SE boxes swearing against the evil XP upgrade and bloated OS.

How history repeats, eh? ;)
Yes, I remember that well, and is why I don't like it when people say that Vista is god-awful now and that's not gonna change: XP was just as awful at the start of it's life too, before the kinks were sorted out.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

JMEaT wrote:If you add/remove the junk you don't need it runs great...

If you turn off most of the bells and whistles of Vista, it performs on par with XP, in an office environment at least.
That's been my experience as well.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

The only thing I really don’t like about Vista is the Defragmenter, I have learned to live with everything else. (almost)

Although I would really like to ★■◆● slap the idiot who decided that when you change “when the machine sleeps” the Monitor time also changes, and it kinda becomes a Laurel and Hardy routine setting the thing.

I think Vista should have been sold only on new machines, selling it as an upgrade was a big mistake.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

Spidey wrote:I think Vista should have been sold only on new machines, selling it as an upgrade was a big mistake.
I think you have that backwards, rather than being force fed Vista on a new machine, I'd rather have it be an optional "upgrade" (if you can call it that). It would have saved me the couple hours I had to spend formatting, installing XP and tracking down drivers for my laptop.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Re:

Post by JMEaT »

Spidey wrote:The only thing I really don’t like about Vista is the Defragmenter,.
Oh, I had forgoten about that. I also despise the defragmenter. >:O

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

My computer automatically defrags every 24 hours in XP using the command line defragger run from task scheduler. And when I need to defrag a computer I always use the command line one to do it, because it *is* a little bit faster. Although if you don't like the Vista defrag because it doesn't show you anything useful, you will definitely hate the command line one because it tells you practically nothing (unless you use the -v switch).
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

On my last trip to Melbourne in November 2007 , I spoke to a small business operator (IT / networking / PC build & repair business). He told me the last 32 jobs he had done were all removing Vista and reinstalling XP.

Vista may well be fine if you work in a large organisation with a dedicated IT dept. - or if you're proficient enough to build / repair your own gear ...but IMHO, for the average SOHO / SME family busienss, Vista is a disaster of epic proportions.

Does this mirror anyone elses' experience?
Spooky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Spooky »

captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by captain_twinkie »

I've been running the release of SP1 that got released to reviewers this past week, I have seen some peformance increases, like my file transfer speeds on my wireless network have almost doubled, so thats been really nice.

And best of all the system that I've been running it on is a 1.6 Ghtz Celeron.