John McPain

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

John McPain

Post by Nightshade »

Or at least he and the rest of the republican party will be in shortly:

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=54994
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Eh? Seems like he got his words jumbled up when making a speech. How is this a big deal? (More asking the idiots who are going to make this a big deal, like that site)
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Testiculese wrote:Eh? Seems like he got his words jumbled up when making a speech. How is this a big deal? (More asking the idiots who are going to make this a big deal, like that site)
I agree with Testi.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

The Republican party has suffered from mis-wording and fumbling speech from its presidential candidates since before I was ever able to vote. I don't think it'll hurt. :lol:
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

I've always liked McCain. If Clinton upsets Obama, he will have my vote.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Suffering from misplaced ethics and morals than anything else :)
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Aggressor Prime »

Huckabee FTW. McCain is too moderate.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Good for a lawl, doesn't belong in E&C though.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Too moderate? What are you looking for? Sharia law?
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

I think I stated who I am looking for: Huckabee.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Kyouryuu »

Testiculese wrote:Too moderate? What are you looking for? Sharia law?
God's law, actually. Remember Huckabee's admission that he'd rather bend the Constitution than break the will of God? Yeah, that's the sort of level-headed individual I want running the country.

I fail to understand how the media gives Huckabee so much press when, in reality, he has about as much sense Lyndon LaRouche. :P
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

TIGERassault wrote:Good for a lawl, doesn't belong in E&C though.
NHB would be the next bet after E&C, simply because it's TB.
(i'm not sure any of TB's threads belong in Cafe)
Kyouryuu wrote:I fail to understand how the media gives Huckabee so much press when, in reality, he has about as much sense Lyndon LaRouche. :P
coz iirc it was a mobilizing of the Church vote that got Bush in. The media is probably expecting a Church turnout for Huckabee.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

With his religious agenda and his eye on the constitution, Mr.Huckabee would make the worst kind of president. Almost scary, and I find it surprising that some people would vote for him purely on his religious convictions... with every other problem placed far down the list.

According to my dad, Ralph Nader will allow McCain to win the election.

And TB.... keep on posting. :)

Bee
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Why do you value freedom?
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Aggressor Prime wrote:Why do you value freedom?
Funny question
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

TechPro wrote:
Funny question
Do you have a funny answer? This question was made on the assumption you believe Mike Huckabee will limit US freedoms by changing the constitution to conform to the Bible.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Aggressor Prime wrote:
TechPro wrote:
Funny question
Do you have a funny answer? This question was made on the assumption you believe Mike Huckabee will limit US freedoms by changing the constitution to conform to the Bible.
You shouldn't assume ... 'cause when you assume, you make an ass out of u and me. :p

Funny answer ... 42

Mike Huckabee currently doesn't stand a chance to get elected (IMHO) and thus won't have any chance to try to change the constitution. Besides, any changes to the constitution needs A LOT of votes from other people in order to ratify the change and in some cases would require the nation to vote on it.

People feeling like the constitution is in danger from just one person??? Get real. It requires A LOT of people to agree together to change it. One person can't do it himself. He might be able to encourage others to go along with him, but he'd need quite a few.

While we're on the subject... Like I said, Huckabee doesn't stand a chance at getting elected and his continuing to try to hang in there is totally wasting the donated funds of well meaning folks who wanted to help him try. What a waste.

Meanwhile, his attempting to keep running weakens the voting pool for the Republicans, which then strengthens the voting pool for the Democrats allowing Obama or Hilary to have a better chance.

So ... by supporting Huckabee, you're giving Obama or Hilary a better chance.
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

TechPro wrote:
Aggressor Prime wrote:
TechPro wrote:
Funny question
You shouldn't assume ... 'cause when you assume, you make an ass out of u and me. :p

Funny answer ... 42

Mike Huckabee currently doesn't stand a chance to get elected (IMHO) and thus won't have any chance to try to change the constitution. Besides, any changes to the constitution needs A LOT of votes from other people in order to ratify the change and in some cases would require the nation to vote on it.

People feeling like the constitution is in danger from just one person??? Get real. It requires A LOT of people to agree together to change it. One person can't do it himself. He might be able to encourage others to go along with him, but he'd need quite a few.

While we're on the subject... Like I said, Huckabee doesn't stand a chance at getting elected and his continuing to try to hang in there is totally wasting the donated funds of well meaning folks who wanted to help him try. What a waste.

Meanwhile, his attempting to keep running weakens the voting pool for the Republicans, which then strengthens the voting pool for the Democrats allowing Obama or Hilary to have a better chance.

So ... by supporting Huckabee, you're giving Obama or Hilary a better chance.
You didn't answer my question. Mike Huckabee was a preface, not the center of the question. Do you value your freedoms and why?
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Aggressor Prime wrote:You didn't answer my question. Mike Huckabee was a preface, not the center of the question. Do you value your freedoms and why?
I don't have to answer your question because your question was not directed to me (I didn't post in this thread until after you asked that question).

Either way ... I value my freedoms, and I value them because:
  • Without freedom, joy cannot exist
  • Without freedom, lasting happiness cannot be enjoyed
  • Without freedom, people cannot find "their own path" or become what they wish to be
  • ... there are many more reasons...
OK, I've nibbled at the hook ... you were obviously setting up for something ... fire away.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Bettina wrote:... and I find it surprising that some people would vote for him purely on his religious convictions... with every other problem placed far down the list.
Seems plausible enough (at least until the "far down the list" part), but I'm gonna call you on it anyway. What people?
Wings
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wings »

Aggressor Prime is slightly scaring me, seriously. (Not only from this topic) He seems so tied to whatever religion he has, that he'd probably try to kill if whatever leader he had told him to. Think for yourself, dude. The price of freedom was hundreds of thousands of lives, and people have been fighting for it for millenia; asking why you value freedom similar to asking why you value life.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Freedom best allows for the pursuit of happiness.
Are you going to ask me why i value the pursuit of happiness?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:
Bettina wrote:... and I find it surprising that some people would vote for him purely on his religious convictions... with every other problem placed far down the list.
Seems plausible enough (at least until the "far down the list" part), but I'm gonna call you on it anyway. What people?
People like some people I know, who are supporting Huckabee just because he hails as a "conservative Christian", without ever looking at his voting record or statements about his stances.

That's what's scary - when someone can say "I'm from group X", and get votes on that basis alone. Heck, that's my biggest complaint about the party-oriented system we have right now: hordes of uninformed people vote by looking at the ballot for people with the "(R)" or "(D)".
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:
What Foil said is about right.

Bee
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

People have the right to support whoever they want for whatever reasons they want. If you want to talk about being “scared” of someone running for president I would have to say the scariest one is Obama, because I can’t seem to figure out what he stands for.
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

TechPro wrote:
Aggressor Prime wrote:You didn't answer my question. Mike Huckabee was a preface, not the center of the question. Do you value your freedoms and why?
I don't have to answer your question because your question was not directed to me (I didn't post in this thread until after you asked that question).

• Without freedom, people cannot find "their own path" or become what they wish to be
OK, I've nibbled at the hook ... you were obviously setting up for something ... fire away.
First point is true. Second point is true. Third point is flawed. People don't own their own paths. You cannot make up a purpose and expect it to be complete. You can't make up truth, only point to it, and even in that matter you have no authority. If you really want to fulfill the purposes of the first two which are one in the same (aka: the source of happiness, pure happiness, everlasting happiness), then you must find the Truth and follow it perfectly. Don't let corruption creep into your judgement by believing the modern definition of freedom. Only the Truth can set you free, not truths made up by lesser beings, but only by the source of existence. Man is not God.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Bet51987 wrote:
Sergeant Thorne wrote:
What Foil said is about right.

Bee
That's really not an answer, though. Foil is addressing the idea of "conservative Christian," and then Republican or Democrat. "Conservative" actually gives you a vague idea of a candidate's positions. "Christian" doesn't.

All I ask is that there not be an assuming generalization made concerning even a small proportion of the people who back a candidate like Mike Huckabee. And so I put the question to you: what people do you know, or know of, or where have you heard of them, that support a candidate like Mike Huckabee solely because of his "Christian" credentials?

I'm not badgering you concerning the point, because, like I said, it seems plausible to me, though I am ashamed to have however intangible an association with any number of people who are as gullible as they are "spiritual" (and I've heard statements by such).
Bet51987 wrote:Almost scary, and I find it surprising that some people would vote for him purely on his religious convictions... with every other problem placed far down the list.
What people would support him purely based on his religious convictions... with every other problem placed far down the list? :)
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Spidey wrote:People have the right to support whoever they want for whatever reasons they want.
While that's certainly true, I think it's important to criticize motives that are less than responsible.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Aggressor Prime wrote:
TechPro wrote:

First point is true. Second point is true. Third point is flawed. People don't own their own paths. You cannot make up a purpose and expect it to be complete. You can't make up truth, only point to it, and even in that matter you have no authority. If you really want to fulfill the purposes of the first two which are one in the same (aka: the source of happiness, pure happiness, everlasting happiness), then you must find the Truth and follow it perfectly. Don't let corruption creep into your judgement by believing the modern definition of freedom. Only the Truth can set you free, not truths made up by lesser beings, but only by the source of existence. Man is not God.
'Joy' and 'lasting happiness' are NOT the same.

People don't 'own' their own paths? People can't find out for themselves what path they wish to take/pursue in their lives? Bull____. Finding 'the Truth' (as you put it) is part of finding your own path.

Either way, I answered your question, not to have my answer nit-picked apart, but to let you make the point your were obviously trying to lead up to.

I stated why I value my freedoms. Now you answer what that has to do with your question and what the discussion about Mike Huckabee has to do with it.
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

TechPro wrote: People don't 'own' their own paths? People can't find out for themselves what path they wish to take/pursue in their lives? Bull____. Finding 'the Truth' (as you put it) is part of finding your own path.
You must understand the nature of existence. You exist in so much as you are one with God. God, being the creator of everything, created everything good. Everything that exists is good. Bad is not a quality, but rather the lack of a quality; that quality it lacks is good. Therefore, in so much as you are one with God, you exist. The source of your being is God. Therefore, nothing belongs to you, everything belongs to God.

Accomplishing your will in so much as it finds its source outside of God accomplishes nothing constructive. Such activity destroys the self. Accomplishing God's will brings the self closer to God, closer to perfection, closer to happiness.

Happiness is completeness. One is made a complete being by being one with the source, God. Therefore, if you see happiness as your goal, you should place God's will above your own.

Huckabee is the closest canidate to fulfilling God's will due to his positions on critical issues: life (abortion and stem cell research) and order (marriage, economy, war, and border control).
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Spidey »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:
Spidey wrote:People have the right to support whoever they want for whatever reasons they want.
While that's certainly true, I think it's important to criticize motives that are less than responsible.
I agree
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Yup.
Of course, that doesn't mean we don't have a right to give out to them about it.
Spidey wrote:I would have to say the scariest one is Obama, because I can’t seem to figure out what he stands for.
If you don't know what he stands for, then it means you haven't been paying enough attention to the media. It's fairly clear-cut what he stands for if you look for it.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Lol that’s quite a thing to say to a political junkie.

Yea…he stands for “change”
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

And here I thought you were challenging the notion that people can choose what they want to be (their path) whether they decide to pursue riches, be a drunken bum, serve as a missionary, whatever. Silly me.

Whatever purpose or plan God has in mind for a person is important for that person to learn (assuming the person believes in a God) ... however each and every person can choose. That's my point.

I like my freedom to choose someone other than Huckabee. ;)
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Spidey wrote:Yea…he stands for “change”
"Change"? One word description? You're not one of those people that believes every candidate's opinions can be summed up into a single theme, like some sort of Legend of Zelda dungeon, do you?
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Mike Huckabee is just as greedy a politician as the lot of them.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

ROFL…Have you seen Obama’s campaign messages?

Enlighten me…What does Obama stand for?

My puny little mind is wide open.....
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

TechPro wrote:And here I thought you were challenging the notion that people can choose what they want to be (their path) whether they decide to pursue riches, be a drunken bum, serve as a missionary, whatever. Silly me.

Whatever purpose or plan God has in mind for a person is important for that person to learn (assuming the person believes in a God) ... however each and every person can choose. That's my point.

I like my freedom to choose someone other than Huckabee. ;)
But is that the right choice? Do you care? Should you care?
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Gooberman »

Spidey wrote:ROFL…Have you seen Obama’s campaign messages?

Enlighten me…What does Obama stand for?

My puny little mind is wide open.....
http://www.barackobama.com/issues/

This whole "he’s just about change", "what change", "he has no message" etc. thing is just spin.

And those in the media who promote that talking point are dishonest.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Aggressor Prime wrote:Huckabee is the closest canidate to fulfilling God's will due to his positions on critical issues: life (abortion and stem cell research) and order (marriage, economy, war, and border control).
I don't agree. Sure he's a fellow Christian, as am I, but I believe there are other candidates whose stances more closely resemble what I understand God's will to be on those same issues.

(Now notice something here... neither you nor I actually said anything informative in the above exchange. If you're going to state why you support someone, you have to support it with something more than a vague reference to God's will. And if you want to debate what God's will is on a particular issue, then let's take it to a new thread.)

That's what I don't like about the support I've seen for Huckabee. Except for here on the DBB, every single statement of support for him that I've heard was basically, "Well, he's a Christian, and my pastor likes him!"