Librivox, FREE audio books!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Librivox, FREE audio books!

Post by Kilarin »

I just wanted to share with the gang something that has been really adding to the quality of my life recently!
Free audio books from http://www.librivox.org.
Librivox is a project to turn public domain books into public domain mp3 audio books. All of the work is done by volunteers and the quality varies, but most of the stuff is pretty good, and some of it is as good as any profesional audio book I've ever purchased.

Most of the books there are older, of course, but I happen to LIKE old books. And there are a lot of really good books in the public domain now.

Got a long commute to work? load up your mp3 player with \"Treasure Island\" and you've got Seven and a half hours of quality entertainment!
Is your job boring? Put Jules Verne's \"A Mysterious Island\" on your Ipod and you'll have 22 hours of excitement!
Lying in bed too sick to watch TV, but also too sick to sleep? stick an MP3 CD-RW into your stero that has Andre Norton's \"Star Born\" burned onto it and you will feel just a little bit better for more than 6 hours.

Seriously, there is a LOT of good stuff, and it's all free! Some of my recomendations:

Treasure Island : by Robert Louis Stevenson.
This is an INCREDIBLE recording of the classic story. The reader is unbelievably good.

The Mysterious Island : by Jules Verne
My 8 year old Son sat through all 22 hours of this with rapt attention.

King Solomon's Mines : by H. Rider Haggard
The Prisoner of Zenda : by Anthony Hope
Captain Blood : by Rafael Sabatini
Good old fashioned Adventure Stories!

Star Born : by Andre Norton
Plauge Ship : by Andre Norton
Voodo Planet : by Andre Norton
Star Surgeon : by Edward Nourse
The Colors Of Space : by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Badge of Infamy : by Lester Del Ray
Some (relatively) modern Science Fiction stories that the authors let go public domain

The Enchiridion : by Augustine
The City of God: by Augustine
Works of the Church Father from around 400AD. (These are both read by a good friend of mine!)

The Pilgrims Progress : by John Bunyan
The 17th centry classic Christian alegory.

God's Troubadour : by Sophie Jewett
A biography of Francis of Assisi

Three Men In a Boat : by Jerome K. Jerome
Humor from 1889 that is still funny today!

A Little Princess : by Frances Hodgson Burnett
The Secret Garden : by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Pollyanna : by Eleanor H. Porter
Heidi : by Johanna Spyri
Heart Warming Stories!

Buccaneers and the Pirates of Our Coast : by Frank Richard Stockton
Secret Chambers and Hiding Places : by Allan Fea
Non Fiction to not only entertain, but also educate your mind!

Around the World in Seventy Two Days : by Nellie Bly
True story of a woman journalist who decides to beat the fictional Phileas Fogg with a REAL record breaking trip around the globe.

This is just a TINY sample of what is available at Librivox. They have a catalog of well over 1000 unabridged audio books/poems/short stories/etc. And it's growing with new entries almost every day. I already have enough material downloaded to keep me listening for years.

Fill in hours of wasted time with good old books, for FREE!!! And consider contributing to the project by reading a book yourself!
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

Good find! And a great idea.