PDF writer

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

PDF writer

Post by woodchip »

I am looking to buy a software package that allows me to edit Adobe pdf architectural drawings. Specifically I will need to cloud in areas, make notes on drawings and even edit the drawing. Any of you fine folk know of a good software package?
All the ones I have seen on the net have no support phone numbers not do they tell me if I can do what I want to. Any help appreciated.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Why not use Adobe PDF itself? The paid version and not the reader?
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Yes Adobe PDF (paid version, also known as Acrobat full version) FTW.

So it's not free. What you're wanting to do is something you really should be doing with a professional product.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Wait, you want to edit the drawings? Can't do that. Once it's converted to PDF, the drawings are converted to images. You need the original files and the software it was created on.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Merlin is right. If it's originally from an architectural CAD drawing, it's only an image, no structural data.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Actually it would depend on wheather the PDF is saved in vector or raster mode, either way you will need another program that can import a PDF file, and then export to PDF. I know CorelDraw can do this, as well as many others, depends how much you want to spend. CorelDraw 13 can also convert those pesky raster files into vector format so you can edit them.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Thanks all. Got something called Foxit. I didn't mean to imply edit as in rework the drawings, rather annotate and add info.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re:

Post by CDN_Merlin »

woodchip wrote:Thanks all. Got something called Foxit. I didn't mean to imply edit as in rework the drawings, rather annotate and add info.
Then Adobe Acrobat is what you need.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Gekko71 »

CDN_Merlin wrote:
woodchip wrote:Thanks all. Got something called Foxit. I didn't mean to imply edit as in rework the drawings, rather annotate and add info.
Then Adobe Acrobat is what you need.
I second that. Adobe Acrobat is a brilliant program and a central part of my computing toolbox (I can export Offset-print ready artwork into a PDF and all the postscript info is embedded - an important feature for an advertising agency / graphic design house)

BTW, when it comes to protecting your document from additional alterations, there are (apparently) some 3rd party products that don't support the password protection that Acrobat can create for you. So if you want to publish your info and have it accessible by unknown users, that's something you need to keep in mind.

Spidey is right about the raster/vector conversion in CorelDraw too - but it depends upon the Raster image. From experience I know that some raster images just won't convert properly no matter how much you try (if there's not much line art in your image then forget it! :) )