Interplay News

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Interplay News

Post by Strife »

So it appears the guy that used to run atari has a company called Interactive Game Group , LLC. The guys at interplay from what I could make out of the reports that got posted sold 2 million common shares to this guy. 10 year agreement. Things sound like they might kick off in the upcoming year.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

link to the news? sounds interesting.
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Strife »

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Doesn't mean anything though. A leap from that to a brand new Descent sequel is improbable and enormous. The US will land a man on Mars before any kind of Descent-like game comes out again. That's my prediction. :P
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

It Does mean more money from other sources and a more diversified interest base. That will help Interplay clear their book and get outta the \"red\" and into the black.

This is actually good news. These guys were around when \"Gaming\" was just getting started ... in fact they did start it. Hopefully they will be able to give Interplay some good input and not politics.

If Interplay is wise, they will look to develop a new title or two and not rely solely on its old titles. (that of course takes money and time.) So we'll see how they do. Givem' 5 years or so. Personally, I'm not holding my breath for a new Descent release. I have more hope for MechWarrior than Descent. I still enjoy D1, D2 and D3; thanks to projects like Dxx and DXL. (all animosity aside. ;)) NOW, if we could just get 1.5 to finalize .. sheesh. actually, there might be a better chance of a D4 over 1.5 coming out.

Lothar, you're our resident math major, what kinda statistical odds do we have on that? :lol:
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

LOL, I'll bet two chances, slim and none... But let's keep hope alive, never say never... Yes, there will be a Descent 4!
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Interplay better do good cus I bought their stock. :x
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

2 million shares? ... at 13 cents a share??? lol I hope not. :lol:

shucks.. that's only $260,000 bucks. heh. Not a bad deal really. You could sell in a couple of years and double your cash...\"easy\".
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Duper wrote:Lothar, you're our resident math major, what kinda statistical odds do we have on that? :lol:
Not just Lothar. Drakona and myself also have advanced degrees in Mathematics (I'll have my Masters' if I ever get around to finishing my thesis, heh).

Lothar has the degree in Applied Math, though, so I'll let him speculate on the odds of a Descent4, or even an official D3 v1.5. :P (Personally, I wouldn't bet on either one.)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Foil wrote:Not just Lothar. Drakona and myself also have advanced degrees in Mathematics (I'll have my Masters' if I ever get around to finishing my thesis, heh).

Lothar has the degree in Applied Math, though, so I'll let him speculate on the odds of a Descent4, or even an official D3 v1.5. :P (Personally, I wouldn't bet on either one.)
there you have it folks a demonstration of a contortionist , shall we give him a prize

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I think by official he means a 1.5 patch published by outrage or Interplay.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by DarkHorse »

Duper wrote:2 million shares? ... at 13 cents a share??? lol I hope not. :lol:

shucks.. that's only $260,000 bucks. heh. Not a bad deal really. You could sell in a couple of years and double your cash..."easy".
Of course, you'll probably lose it all instead.
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Strife »

On July 24, 2008, the Company entered into an Option Exercise Agreement (the \"Agreement\") with Atari Interactive, Inc. (\"Atari Interactive\"). Under the Agreement, Atari Interactive and the Company settled outstanding disputes among them, including in connection with an existing Promissory Note dated August 19, 2004 of the Company in favor of Atari Interactive (the \"Note\"). Pursuant to the Agreement, Atari Interactive exercised an existing option to purchase, and purchased, from the Company intellectual property rights developed by the Company in connection with the Dungeons & Dragons games and the balance of all amounts due from the Company to Atari Interactive under the Note of approximately $1,050,000.00 was cancelled and terminated.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Interplay getting out from under their debt, interesting. I'm still skeptical of seeing much from them anytime soon, but that's a step in the right direction.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Oh great, two defunct companies make one whole ? Not.
ImageImage
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

No, Gren they didn't merge. Apparently Interplay borrowed a little over a G back in '04.

The debt to the load was forgiven.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if both companies have some of the same share holders.
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Strife »

Duper wrote: Apparently Interplay borrowed a little over a G back in '04.
Actually it was a lil over a cool Mil... But whos counting ;)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

yeah.. thought about that a day later after i posted it. aw well : )

Be interesting to see who owns what stock in both companies.
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Strife »

As of today.... I have not finished reading yet... but here ya go.

LIQUIDITY AND CAPITAL RESOURCES

As of June 30, 2008, we had a working capital deficit of approximately $3.0
million, and our cash balance was approximately $22,000. We cannot continue to
fund our current operations without obtaining additional financing or income.

We have sold \"Fallout\" to a third party and have obtained the License Back
to allow us to create, develop and exploit \"Fallout\" MMOG. We are planning to
exploit the License Back of \"Fallout\" MMOG and are reviewing the avenues for
securing financing of at least $30 million to fund its production.

We are now focused on a two-pronged growth strategy. While we are working
to secure funding for the development of a MMOG based on the popular \"Fallout\"
franchise, we are at the same time exploring ways to leverage our portfolio of
gaming properties through sequels and various development and publishing
arrangements. We are planning, to develop sequels to some of the most successful
games, including Earthworm Jim, Dark Alliance, Descent and MDK. We have
reinitiated our in-house game development studio, and have hired game
developers. Initial funding for these steps will mainly derive from license
arrangements or other financing that we may enter into.
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

I... uh.. huh? What? For real?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

What I'm reading into this: Interplay is struggling to stay afloat, but they do at least have a plan of attack to make things work, although will likely only be profitable in the long term (5+ years) if it succeeds. A big part of this hinges on being able to finance and successfully launch a Fallout MMO game, which they're probably developing in-house. If that takes off, they'll then leverage the profits from that to get things going in a more stable manner, at which point they'll look at developing other games, starting with a look at their most popular franchises. Of course, I'd expect that they wouldn't develop ALL of that in-house; they'd have to contract most of them out to other studios unless they want to spend a decade going through them all.

Because they actually need to develop and release their first \"springboard\" game so to speak to get things up and running, this means that any of those other games, including a Descent sequel, will be at least 5-6 years away. And that's if their strategy works (to me it looks like a good one, since MMOs are a relatively safe bet and Fallout will be popular enough after Fallout 3 comes out; but it means nothing if they can't finance it).