Saturday We All Die

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Saturday We All Die

Post by woodchip »

The Large Hadron Collider performs it's first test on Saturday, creates a black hole which rapidly increases in size and earth is destroyed. Nice knowing all of you.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

What - no goodbye party? 8)
Spooky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Spooky »

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

A nice link that lets you follow operations of collider. Of course we will all be dead so may not be of much use:

http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Good, I don't feel like dealing with my new project next week.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Saturday We All Die

Post by TechPro »

woodchip wrote:The Large Hadron Collider performs it's first test on Saturday, creates a black hole which rapidly increases in size and earth is destroyed. Nice knowing all of you.
Meh, sounds like Y2K fears all over again. I'm gonna sleep through it. Cheers.
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

I'm not sure how banging particles together and looking at the bits that fly off will create the mass necessary to start a black hole so that will be kind of fun to see. I guess that's what they mean when they say the results will be \"unpredictable\". :wink:
Clothes may make the man
But all a girl needs is a tan

-The Producers
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Black holes are local phenomena. If you put one with the mass of the moon in the place of the moon, the only difference we'd notice on earth would be the amount of light at night.

The danger from a black hole is when you get close enough to its center of mass that gravity is many, many G's. I don't care how close you get to something produced in the Large Hadron Collider, if it's only got the mass of the particles they put in there, it's not going to have that much gravitational pull.

If you want to produce a black hole, you need to put a LOT of mass into a small space... much more than the LHC is going to be messing with.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Lothar wrote:If you want to produce a black hole, you need to put a LOT of mass into a small space... much more than the LHC is going to be messing with.
Or a LOT of energy -- m=e/c^2 I doubt the collider has that big a source at hand :)
ImageImage
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

How about not so much mass but a very small space? Could you start a black hole by compressing a small amount of matter into a ridiculously small space making it's mass to volume ratio the same as a larger black hole?
Clothes may make the man

-The Producers
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Ford Prefect wrote:How about not so much mass but a very small space? Could you start a black hole by compressing a small amount of matter into a ridiculously small space making it's mass to volume ratio the same as a larger black hole?
Possibly, but it would take a very, very long time to grow, and may not grow at all. It'll only pull in particles that get within that tiny inner radius -- and even then, only if various electrical / magnetic forces don't overwhelm its gravity. Making a "black hole" smaller than your average atom probably won't ever do anything.

Black holes' gravity is just like their component particles would be if spread out, except that when you get really close, you get sucked in. I don't think a "black hole" made of only a few particles is going to do a lot of damage to anything -- if you have to be within half an atomic radius to get caught in the gravity of even thousands of particles, it's unlikely it'll actually pull much of anything in.
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

Thanks Lothar. I don't understand enough of particle physics to figure out if there is a minimum mass needed to overcome outside forces and keep the mass together. If high energy banging things together could cause \"seed\" black holes then you would think the centre of stars would be creating them occasionally.
I think I will put off cashing in the pension plan and splurging on an \"end of the world party to end all parties\" for now. :D
Clothes may make the man

-The Producers
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

It's not black holes you need to worry about, its the possible (though highly improbable) creation of \"strange matter.\" If, according to theory, strange matter is produced even in the tiniest amount, it would begin converting any matter in contact with it into more strange matter...and so on until it consumes the planet. A sort of \"natural grey goo\" scenario- but again it's highly improbable- but more credible than the black hole scare.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

ThunderBunny wrote:It's not black holes you need to worry about, its the possible (though highly improbable) creation of "strange matter." If, according to theory, strange matter is produced even in the tiniest amount, it would begin converting any matter in contact with it into more strange matter...and so on until it consumes the planet. A sort of "natural grey goo" scenario- but again it's highly improbable- but more credible than the black hole scare.
Exactly. I've read that too and it's probably the only thing left when you discount all other scenarios which most scientists already have.

The unintentional creation of an undesirable particle. The unwanted "strangelet" could be a particle that has already been created many times in the universe but remains in a local state. In other words it doesn't travel throughout the universe. So, is 7 TeV enough to create one?

Sleep tight :wink:

Bee
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

It can't ever cause the planet to collapse, but don't get me wrong, it could be a spectacular explosion/implosion.
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

7TeV in and \"destruction of the world as we know it\" out. That's quite the ratio. :lol:
Clothes may make the man

-The Producers
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

ThunderBunny wrote:It's not black holes you need to worry about, its the possible (though highly improbable) creation of "strange matter." If, according to theory, strange matter is produced even in the tiniest amount, it would begin converting any matter in contact with it into more strange matter...and so on until it consumes the planet.
Aren't we already "strange matter"? I mean, take a serious look at us, frequenting forums dedicated to an out-of-date game for years after it's no longer marketed by it's publisher. To most of the world ... that's strange.

OK, we can all get back to the serious topic of black holes (and how to create them) ... and such.
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MD-1118 »

What about the possibility of a micro black hole? Supposing it follows an elliptical \"orbit\" around the Earth's core, chewing away more of the planet with each pass... sure, it would take a while, but then again I don't think we have anything that can stop a black hole, micro or not, dead in its tracks.

Death by black hole/strange matter... it's the universe's \"suicide by cop\" scenario I've been waiting for. =P
Spooky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Spooky »

Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

If we all turn on our vacuums at the same time could we create enough suction to create an artificial gravity well? :P
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

That would suck. :roll:
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Still here.
ImageImage
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Still here.
Not if Russia keeps attacking Georgia and the US/EU keep playing the \"ultimatum\" game. This is getting very worrying guys...

viewtopic.php?t=14258
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Cuda68 »

ThunderBunny wrote:
Still here.
Not if Russia keeps attacking Georgia and the US/EU keep playing the "ultimatum" game. This is getting very worrying guys...

viewtopic.php?t=14258
BAH!
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Guess it was all a false alarm. :)
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Cuda68 »

woodchip wrote:Guess it was all a false alarm. :)
OH THANK GOODNESS - I was rather worried :P
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Still here.
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

Maybe we were a little premature. I can't find anything that says it was fired up yesterday. I did find a link that indicated the first test would be September 10 but they don't look like a real authority.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/08 ... open_fire/
Clothes may make the man

-The Producers
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I'm sure that at the heart of this was a bespectacled scientist with a pH D in physics who pushed a little cart into the collider, causing a massive resonance cascade, opening a portal to an alien homeworld and paving the way for decades of oppression by the Combine.

Either way, I've got my gravity gun ready.
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by grizz »

Hmmmm, it sure doesn't FEEL any different being dead.........
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

grizz wrote:Hmmmm, it sure doesn't FEEL any different being dead.........
If you're posting here, how could you tell the difference? :wink:
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Cosmic rays have already been observed causing countless particle collisions with much higher energies than the LHC could ever produce so the risk of unintentionally creating a langolier remains slim even though not quite zero.

As for me, I hope they find something that will rewrite the physics books. That would be really exciting.

Bee
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

*News flash* They DID make a black hole, slightly larger than the size of an atom. They then proceeded to drop it, and it ate through to floor. Scientists estimate that it will take approximately 5 days to reach the core, at which point it will begin to eat the earth from the inside out. Scientists estimate that in approximately a year it will have consumed enough mass to cause a serious series of earth quakes. Within 5 years, the structural integrity of the earth will be severely enough compromised that the earth will start to implode upon itself, and will no longer be able to support life.

o.O
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

So.... party at your place Snoopy??
Clothes may make the man

-The Producers
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

don't need to worry about the Middle East or Russia anymore - sweet :lol:
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by snoopy »

Ford Prefect wrote:So.... party at your place Snoopy??
woot woot
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MD-1118 »

Nice... and just when I was finally getting somewhere with the SS office. Well, my life won't change. Not much.