NBC is Nuts (Olympics Opening)

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

NBC is Nuts (Olympics Opening)

Post by Richard Cranium »

... or they have a lot of balls.

Who do they think they are telling the US population when we can watch the Olympics. We should be able to watch them live like everyone else in the world.

In the modern world to broadcast and 1000s of channels available from digital cable/sat we should be able to have several broadcasts of the events available to us simultaneously, live.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?s ... &type=lgns

RC
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

move closer to the Canadian border. Then again, pretty much the only thing the CBC will broadcast till its over.

At the end of the day, NBC does what its does is fear Americans won't watch it live if its in a substantially different time zone.

be happy, if you live on the west coast, 2010 should be live.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

LOL, yea, I want to watch Soccer @ 4 in the morning.

I record and watch any time I want to anywayz, sans the commercials.
QuestionableChaos
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by QuestionableChaos »

would you have been able to view the opening on an international channel...?

yes yes, im a noob when it comes to the FCC, IOC, and television antics :roll:
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I actually like how it's corrected for prime time viewing. With the double-digit time difference between where I am and China, I'm afraid I'd see very little of the Olympics if it was broadcast at 3:00 am in the morning. :lol:

Being in the Seattle area for this Olympics, it is also interesting to catch the CBC News coverage of it, since it is from an entirely different perspective.

The thing that annoys me more is the stranglehold that NBC and the Olympics themselves have on video captured from the event. This isn't even a Chinese thing, per se. The minute anything about the Olympics goes up on YouTube, it gets yanked down on petty copyright breach claims. So much for we are the world. Try to YouTube the ridiculously awesome Opening Ceremony, for example, and you come up with nothing.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

But with the number of channels available on Sat/Cable we should be able to see stuff when we want to and the Big Network could still do their thing when they want to.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Wow, the arrogance of NBC is appalling.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

I was yelling at the TV during the opening ceremonies, the constant commentary is annoying as hell. I want to enjoy the performance and LISTEN a bit to the music they were playing, and ether Bob Costas or that other idiot chime in for a completely useless antidote or unessesary factoid.

Or they tell you whats going on as if you were blind. \"And here comes the...\" \"...and as you can see...\" yes idiot, I can SEE that, now STFU and let me hear the drums. :roll:
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Kyouryuu »

Top Wop wrote:and ether Bob Costas or that other idiot chime in for a completely useless antidote or unessesary factoid.
Oh yeah, and their ever-present "Now these are the athletes from Country X. You know, Country X has had a lot of poverty and trouble lately with that fascist dictatorship."

Thanks for enlightening us, Bob. Now go back to being retired. :roll:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Did the opening ceremonies give anybody the creaps? I mean, they were spectacular and grand, especially in Hi-Def, no argument here, but all the militaristic, mechanistic and the large sycronized numbers of performers seemed a little scary. Almost like China was flexing it's muscle to the world. \"Look how we can control our people and get them to do all this\", type of image. The drummers at the start were apparently told to smile and not look so serious, but at the begining of their performance, they definitely had forced smiles plastered on their faces. Not until they were done did they actually look happy.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Well if you were to be executed for missing a beat, you'd have a fake smile too!
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

That's what I was thinking. Bleak, conforming, totalinarianism on display. China was really saying, \"Watch out world, we're the new super power on the block. Bow before the greatness that you witness before you. We will crush you\".
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Spidey »

tunnelcat wrote:That's what I was thinking. Bleak, conforming, totalinarianism on display. China was really saying, "Watch out world, we're the new super power on the block. Bow before the greatness that you witness before you. We will crush you".
I was thinking something along those lines.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

The opening ceremony was a feat of discipline and engineering, and a reminder of why American children need to stay in school.