New HUD for the Joint strike fighter. (F-35)

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

New HUD for the Joint strike fighter. (F-35)

Post by Duper »

This thing is too cool.

CLIK!

The article is short, but the picture looks like something from Halo.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Wow that's pretty scary!
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

HERE's a better pic.
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

The Fly.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

If I heard correct that helmet will be able to spot targets through the aircraft. the skin of the plane has built in sensors. it allows you to view things sort of like Wonder Woman View in IL2. so you can lock on a target with out it being infront of your plane. look at and fire :twisted:
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

HEY! That’s Classified!

Heh, I heard that once the military releases something to the public, it’s already many years old.

Think of what’s still secret… :wink:
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

Underwear you can pee in and it automatically chemically converts it to cheeseburgers.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

They already do that kind of chemical conversion. Where do you think beer comes from? ;)
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

Beer is the feculant waste of microbes.
Drakona
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Drakona »

Helmet-mounted displays are nothing new. They offer a lot of advantages, but one of the big ones is really intuitive high off-boresight targeting. Being able to shoot at something beside or behind you is an advantage any Descent pilot ought to be able to appreciate!

Here's a little history from the Wikipedia article:
Wikipedia wrote: The first aircraft HMD devices appeared in the mid seventies to aid in targeting heat seeking missiles. These rudimentary devices were better described as Helmet Mounted Sights. The first of these to see wide use was the US Navy's Visual Target Acquisition System (VTAS), made by Honeywell Corporation. VTAS was a simple mechanical "ring and bead" style sight fitted to the front of the pilot's helmet that was flown in the 1974-78 ACEVAL/AIMVAL on U.S. F-14 and F-15 fighters

VTAS received praise for its effectiveness in targeting off-boresight missiles, but the U.S. did not pursue fielding it except for integration into late model Navy F-4 Phantoms equipped with the AIM-9 Sidewinder. HMDs were also introduced in helicopters during this time.

The Soviet Union observed the ACEVAL/AIMVAL and embarked on a crash program to counter the technology. As a result, the MiG-29 was fielded in 1985 with an HMS and a high off-boresight weapon (AA-11 Archer/R-73), giving them the advantage in close in maneuvering engagements.

Several nations responded with programs to counter the MiG-29/HMS/AA-11 (and later Su-27 combination once its effectiveness was known, principally through access to former East German MiG-29s that were operated by the unified German Air Force.

The first successful Western HMD was the Israeli Air Force Elbit DASH series, fielded in conjunction with the Python 4, in the early 1990s. American and European fighter HMDs lagged behind, not becoming widely used until the late 1990s and early 2000s. The US-UK-Germany responded initially with a combined ASRAAM effort. Technical difficulties led to the US abandon ASRAAM and embark on AIM-9X and the Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System in 1990.
As a weird tangent, one of the things that intrigues me about the JSF HMDS is the psychological response people have to it. They say it looks scary or evil, and I can see what they're getting at. But compare that to JHMCS, which comes off as more of a dweeby VR system.

Weird, huh? They're basically the same techology. The only thing I can come up with is that the one fully covers the pilot's face.

I did a google experiment to confirm that. It seemed to me that the difference between 'dorky' and 'scary' was how much of the pilot's face I could see. Well, there was one notable exception.