Descent 3 Video Capture

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Screen recording software...

Just buy fraps, you idiot!
80%
What do you mean, XFire can't record Descent 3, you idiot?
No votes
Other (you idiot)
20%

Total votes: 5
Bonzer
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Descent 3 Video Capture

Post by Bonzer »

Greetings fellow Descenters,

I'm looking for free software that can record gameplay video from Descent 3. Could anyone recommend a free Windows or Linux video capture program that handles fullscreen OpenGL / DirectX?

My own research has been inconclusive - fraps isn't free, XFire doesn't support Descent 3 from what I understand, and no other programs I found specifically listed fullscreen capture as a feature. I'd just buy fraps, but my \"skill\" at D3 isn't worth $30 for now.

Thanks in advance! That there's still an active Descent community around is pretty awesome.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I don't know of any free utilities, but you can nab a copy of Guncam for only $20 which is a lot better than the $37 wanted for Fraps. IIRC it also has the advantage of performing much better than Fraps at recording video from D3.

http://www.growlersoftware.com/
Ryujin
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Ryujin »

Ferno, what do you use?
Tebo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tebo »

You could give Taski a try.
It is free but doesn't seem to support audio recording, you would have to do that seperately.

I don't know how it compares to fraps or Guncam in preformance, but since those come with free trials you could easily find out.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Post from a year ago

This is about the same thing. I was looking for something else and saw this so I just thought I'd throw it up.
Bonzer
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Bonzer »

Thanks for the suggestions. If I had a TV tuner card, that would be great, but unfortunately I don't have any video inputs. Taksi looks pretty good for pre-1.0 software - it didn't recognize the game in DirectX mode when I played tonight, but I'll try switching D3 to the OpenGL renderer and see if that works. The beta even seems to support audio recording in some form (probably a patch cable from my speaker out to my line in :P). If Taksi fails, $20 for Guncam is reasonable.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

FRAPS you pay for now?

well frap
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

recordmydesktop should work if you give it the --full-shots option (documented).
Bonzer
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Bonzer »

recordmydesktop worked pretty well. It shows D3 running in a window instead of fullscreen, but fixing that is just a matter of cropping the vid. I'll try Taksi with D3 running in OpenGL, but recordmydesktop's looking like a good final choice if I can get the sound recording working. Oh, and the framerate wasn't good with recordmydesktop, but if I do any serious recording I'll disable Compiz and hopefully take care of that problem.