Specter the turncoat

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Specter the turncoat

Post by Tunnelcat »

Uh oh! Arlen Specter is switching parties to become a Democrat. If Al Franken finally gets seated, the Dems will have a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/28/ ... ty.switch/

NOW the Conservatives should worry.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Specter says its about ideals. he's more democrat than republican. BULLSH@T, this is all about re-election for him, seems the conseravtive side of the GOP is mounting a challenge for his seat in the next election and he's sure he's going to lose the nomination. so he jumped ship to try and maintain his seat. just another Example of the cowardess in our government
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

That's a true politician. Abandon your principles if it looks like you're gonna lose the next election. Just what the Dems need, another Conservadem with no principles or loyalty to the party base. The Republicans are probably happy to get rid of him and run someone with more party loyalty in 2010.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Have no fear…Specteroid has always been a liberal.

Good Riddence!
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Drowning man grasps at straw on bank of swiftly moving river....attempt fails, man drowns.

He's a loon. Now he'll be a retired loon. then an over paid lobbiest loon. Ain't America grand? :roll:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yeah, but NOW he's going to be kowtowing to the Dems helping to give them their majority in the next four years, especially with Franken getting seated, eventually.

Maybe they'll get drunk with power and self-implode like the Republicans did. Conservatives can only hope. :P
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Muaaahahahaha.. :lol:
ImageImage
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I'd never heard of the guy before now, but if the GOP is trying to replace him for being too liberal, then it's not as though you can say that he's switching parties *just* for reelection. Clearly the GOP doesn't think he's right for the GOP either.

The only people that him switching parties will betray are people who vote the party line. From the sounds of it, he was already voting liberal, so his voting record probably won't change much.

And if he's guilty of betraying the GOP itself, then 1) it sounds like they stuck it to him first and 2) I'm not sympathetic to political parties getting their feelings hurt. Let's all feel sorry for the poor political party...
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Jeff250 wrote: And if he's guilty of betraying the GOP itself, then 1) it sounds like they stuck it to him first and 2) I'm not sympathetic to political parties getting their feelings hurt. Let's all feel sorry for the poor political party...
:cry:

:lol:
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Jeff250 wrote:I'd never heard of the guy before now
Really?
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Yes. I don't hear about anything until it's on the Daily Show. ;)
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Jeff250 wrote:Yes. I don't hear about anything until it's on the Daily Show. ;)
He's plenty loopy enough to be ridiculed on the Daily Show, the problem is he's for the most part always been pro democrat so he won't be a target....
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Will Robinson wrote:He's plenty loopy enough to be ridiculed on the Daily Show, the problem is he's for the most part always been pro democrat so he won't be a target....
One of the really nice things about the Daily Show is that they admit they are biased. EVERYONE is biased, the best way to achieve a level of fairness is to admit your bias up front and then deal with it from there.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

They actually did mock him that night, but I still had to wait until midnight of that day to watch it. :P
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Gooberman »

Kilarin wrote: One of the really nice things about the Daily Show is that they admit they are biased. EVERYONE is biased, the best way to achieve a level of fairness is to admit your bias up front and then deal with it from there.
I agree. The only thing that really irks me about the Fox News Channel is their slogan.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Right, and which one claims to be the totally non biased political news…is it CNN? Lol Every time I tuned that channel in during the election season I got a big chuckle.

You know what you get with FOX…get over it.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Duper, that's the cutest picture I've ever seen!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

lol I wish I could say it was mine, but it's not. It originated off of \"icanhascheeseburger.com\" or now lolcats.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

gotta love http://icanhascheezburger.com/ !!!! (Lol cats isn't nearly as good)

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Awwwwww, soooooooo cuuuuuuute.......uh, oh!......erk........beeeeeeeeeeep.....stack overflow.......beeeeeeeeeeeep..........errror............BSoD!

The right-wingers should be happy that such a wishy-washy, unprincipled politician has left the nest. He'll sabotage the Dems just fine for ya.

Did you notice that during the last Presidential Press Conference that the ONLY network that Obama DIDN'T call on was FOX News. :twisted:
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Gooberman »

Spidey wrote:Right, and which one claims to be the totally non biased political news…is it CNN? Lol Every time I tuned that channel in during the election season I got a big chuckle.

You know what you get with FOX…get over it.
Comparing Fox News to MSNBC is quite accurate, comparing them to CNN is way off mark. CNN leans left, Fox and MSNBC are both over the top. I would *love* to see a mainstreem CNN equivalent on the right. It would be really healthy for the republican party.

Regardless, as far as I know, neither of which have a slogan similar to "fair and balanced."

The only ones I know of CNN are: "The Most Trusted Name in News" / "The Best Political Team on Television"

I don't really watch MSNBC, so I don't know what their slogans are. If its as bad as Fox's, so be it I will throw them in the gutter too.

But I doubt it is.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

tunnelcat wrote:Did you notice that during the last Presidential Press Conference that the ONLY network that Obama DIDN'T call on was FOX News. :twisted:
thats because FOX told the Presidents press secretary that they shreded the Fax from the White House with the telepromper questions they were required to ask :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

CUDA wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:Did you notice that during the last Presidential Press Conference that the ONLY network that Obama DIDN'T call on was FOX News. :twisted:
thats because FOX told the Presidents press secretary that they shreded the Fax from the White House with the telepromper questions they were required to ask :P
LOl!!
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Keep hatin'
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

We will, we had 8 years to learn how it’s done. :wink:
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

He kinda looks like a Sintari from Babylon 5. Let's hope he goes down a better path.

Either that or they're Off to See the Wizard.

...tough call....
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Much loved Michelle showing off her 550 dollar sneakers while working at a food bank to help the needy. Nice to see her being proud of her country now by flouncing around in gross excess.

TheCope
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheCope »

He came up with the \"magic bullet theory\". Peasants.
[12:54] <[RIP]Zaphod> but thx for TRYING to make a dilemma :-P
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

I don't hate him and it's nice to see an African American family living in the White House but it sure sucks to have one who is hell bent on being the reparations president!
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

it was said many years ago that Pigs will fly before a black became president of the USA.

well now with our first Black President celebrating his 1st 100 days in Office.

Swine flu :P
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Hah!
Whitewater
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Whitewater »

I don't understand the outrage behind the shoes. It's not as if they're using tax payer dollars to buy them. What they do with their money is up to them. If they feel like gold plating their toilet than all the more power to them. Now if you want to call them idiots for paying $550 for shoes, I have no objection to that.
(18:58) Sting_Ray: my sister was 13 pounds 6 ounces at birth
(19:00) [X]Scratch: sweet jebus...in some sports fishing...that's the catch of the day
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Tunnelcat »

Will Robinson wrote:I don't hate him and it's nice to see an African American family living in the White House but it sure sucks to have one who is hell bent on being the reparations president!
Well, if little Bushie and a Republican Congress hadn't effed things up royally, the Republicans would still be in power. :P
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

Arlen Specter's switch to the Democratic Party has cost him his seniority on Senate committees.

The Senate passed a resolution Tuesday night that made him the most junior Democrat on the committees on which he serves.
AHAHAHAHAHAH

He out smarted himself, well thats what greed will get you :D

― Theodore Roosevelt
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

Whitewater wrote:I don't understand the outrage behind the shoes. It's not as if they're using tax payer dollars to buy them. What they do with their money is up to them. If they feel like gold plating their toilet than all the more power to them. Now if you want to call them idiots for paying $550 for shoes, I have no objection to that.
Just like the outrage by the left on Sarah Palins wardrobe that was supplied to her through non taxpayer dollars...of which she returned as the wardrobe was only loaned?
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Gooberman »

woodchip wrote:Just like the outrage by the left on Sarah Palins wardrobe that was supplied to her through non taxpayer dollars...of which she returned as the wardrobe was only loaned?
They both shouldn't be criticized for spending their own money (Which Sarah Palin didn't). I think what got people about Sarah Palin was that her entire M.O. was a folksy blue collar 'one-of-us' personality. To then see her in those kind of outfits made things not match up.

This sort of thing is entirely the McCain campaign's fault, not Sarah Palin, but it was a big mistake to put someone with those traits in those kind of outfits.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Gooberman wrote: but it was a big mistake to put someone with those traits in those kind of outfits.
Ya but she looked Hot :oops:

― Theodore Roosevelt