God playing with snow

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

God playing with snow

Post by Tunnelcat »

Saw this in my local paper today. COOL!

SNOW ROLLERS
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

cool. Check out the Frost Flowers that a friend of mine found in his back yard. Here's the Wikipedia entry that explains how they form. Quite fascinating.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

That is SO AMAZINGLY COOL!!

Good grief - 38 years on this planet and I still haven't seen snow - I gotta get around to it.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

ya know, I've seen pix of this kinda thing before, but it's been a long while. Great find TC! Thanks!
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

Wow. I lived in Boston MA for seven years and have never seen a snow roller or a frozen flower.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Gekko71 wrote:38 years on this planet and I still haven't seen snow
Must stay mighty warm in Perth!
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Wop »

Gekko71 wrote:That is SO AMAZINGLY COOL!!

Good grief - 38 years on this planet and I still haven't seen snow - I gotta get around to it.
Hang out in SW Michigan for the "lake effect". You will get sick of it in no time.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Hey Gekko, you could always sign up to be an Ice Road Trucker . :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

If you loved that, you'll love this:

SAILING STONES
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Gekko71 »

Kilarin wrote:
Gekko71 wrote:38 years on this planet and I still haven't seen snow
Must stay mighty warm in Perth!
Very warm Kilarin - it's nearly winter yet the temp outside is still 25 degrees centigrade (low 70's for all the non-metric types). Summer here averages about 36 degrees (low 90s) - but has gone as high as 46.8 (127 degrees F).

Dissent - no thanks: saw the documentary series and that was more than enough :lol:

Top Wop - wouldn't mind seeing Michigan sometime - have to settle for Las Vegas and LA for now, I'm heading over for a convention in a few weeks. First trip to the states - looking forward to it

...25 hours stuck in an economy seat however ...mmm, not looking forward to that so much :P )
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Very warm Kilarin - it's nearly winter yet the temp outside is still 25 degrees centigrade (low 70's for all the non-metric types). Summer here averages about 36 degrees (low 90s) - but has gone as high as 46.8 (127 degrees F)
Yikes! Central Texas never gets a LOT of snow, but we do get some, and 113 is the highest temp on record in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. So you certainly out hot us. :)
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

Texas - another place I wouldn't mind seeing! :) Of all the US states I reckon Texas would remind me the most of home: good mix of climates, lots of mining and plenty of open space.

Come check out Western Australia if ever you're down this way Kilarin - I think you'll find WA is a lot like Texas, only bigger! (..geographically speaking that is :P )
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Gekko71 wrote:Of all the US states I reckon Texas would remind me the most of home: good mix of climates, lots of mining and plenty of open space.
Well, I wouldn't call it beautiful, but it's home. :)
Gekko71 wrote:Come check out Western Australia if ever you're down this way
I would LOVE to visit Australia. More fascinating poisonous creatures per square foot than any other landmass on earth! :)

I've just got to get "down" that way sometime, but I don't think I'll be taking THAT expensive of a vacation for a little while. :)
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Octopus »

Kilarin wrote:Well, I wouldn't call it beautiful, but it's home. :)
What?!?!??! :shock:
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Octopus wrote:
What?!?!??! :o
When God was creating the world, he created some places with tall mountains, others with sparkling rivers, and some with deep green jungles. Everywhere had it's own kind of special beauty. He was ALMOST done, but there was still this one place left over where He hadn't really done anything yet. It was just this big empty area, mostly flat, not too green.

He thought about it, He could put some mountains with big waterfalls, or perhaps He could give it deep canyons, or a glacier or two? BUT, any of those would take a LOT of work, and He had been creating for 6 full days now, and was ready for a break.

So, after a moment He said, "Nah, I'll just create some people who LIKE it the way it is" And thus was born the Texans. :lol:
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Octopus »

Kilarin wrote:
Octopus wrote:
What?!?!??! :o
When God was creating the world, he created some places with tall mountains, others with sparkling rivers, and some with deep green jungles. Everywhere had it's own kind of special beauty. He was ALMOST done, but there was still this one place left over where He hadn't really done anything yet. It was just this big empty area, mostly flat, not too green.

He thought about it, He could put some mountains with big waterfalls, or perhaps He could give it deep canyons, or a glacier or two? BUT, any of those would take a LOT of work, and He had been creating for 6 full days now, and was ready for a break.

So, after a moment He said, "Nah, I'll just create some people who LIKE it the way it is" And thus was born the Texans. :lol:
But... :?
I live in Austin... and sub the "jungles" with forests, minus a glacier or two and we have all of those things! Sure it's not Vermont, but yeah.... We have some incredible landscapes that look amazing! There are so many photographers that live here just for landscape photos! Check out west texas! Mountains, Gandalf!!!
Where do you live, that makes you say these things?
edit:
South of Fort Worth Texas, is where you live. Tell me you've gone a little south or west from there, at leaset once.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Octopus wrote:Tell me you've gone a little south or west from there, at leaset once.
Yeah, and I'll admit, there are pretty places in Texas. East Texas can be quite incredible. The Rio Grande Valley is certainly green, and West Texas is desert enough to have a fascinating character and the occasional rugged landscape.

It's just been my experience that the really beautiful spots in Texas are the exceptions. With LONG drives in between. :) In many other states, the view around every other bend of the road leaves your jaw hanging open and your heart pounding.

I LOVE Texas. I just think the scenery isn't quite up to that of much of the rest of the country.

Perhaps I'm Jaded because the Metroplex is built on the rolling plains. The rolling plains can be really impressive when they are broad and empty. But they lose that haunting quality once they are developed. We've got our interesting spots. Cleburne State Park and Glen Rose certainly offer some wonderful wildlife and interesting views. But again, they are the exceptions. In Arkansas, New Mexico, South Dakota, and countless other states, spectacular and awe inspiring scenery is the rule.

However, I'll put Texas Scenery up against Kansas any day. :)
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

You're right. And places like Houston (land of the car dealerships) are kind of ugly all the way around. But it’s such a small percent, I’m going to stick to my guns. But I'm glad you love Texas.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Octopus wrote:But I'm glad you love Texas.
Just to illustrate one reason why. On my new job I've become good friends with a couple of contractors from India. They were both recently offered jobs elsewhere in the country and fought to stay here. I asked why, and they said, "Because people are NICE in Texas. Even to strangers, and even to foreigners."
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

Yup, that's true.
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

Very interesting thread.

:)