Just saw Startrek in Theaters! (SPOILERS!)

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Just saw Startrek in Theaters! (SPOILERS!)

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

This movie is just... EPIC!
I really like the space battles, the warp sequences, and even... The Romulan Cruiser,... and the Enterprise!
(PS I can't find the thread of the recent Startrek Movie)

So what are your thoughts of the movie?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I liked it, might even go see it again.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

I REALLY liked it...and plan on seeing it on imax this weekend.
Fighting villains is what I do!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

There was still a bit of \"this doesn't really make sense\" in the script on retrospect, but it was quite entertaining enough to watch. It sounds like it may have been a bit of an excuse to wipe the entire slate clean, though. An exercise that may have been necessary if they want to take the franchise in a new direction.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

You have to have read the \"Path to 2409\" on the Star Trek Online website completely and then the summaries of the Countdown comics to understand. It all leads up to the movie.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Countdown,_Number_One

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Countdown,_Number_Two

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Countdown,_Number_Three

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Countdown,_Number_Four
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Oh, I'm thinking of things like \"why did that Romulan have a sword\", but maybe it'd be worth a read...
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

It was gool I like the eye candy just the time travle ★■◆● piss me off. I like ST just a tad sick of the time travle ★■◆● its getting old.

But hate that it falls in a differnt time line then the movies do
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

the sword and things are explained in countdown
--------------
----------
---Capm
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

I guess I'm more of a Star Trek \"purist\" if there is such a thing, which actually surprised me. I'm usually open to liberal interpretations of old stories, such as what they did with Battlestar Galactica...... After thinking about it for several days, I did NOT like this movie.

As a stand alone project, meaning if this had been a new story or a remake of an old 1950s film or something, it would have been fantastic. It is a great movie by itself. The directing, acting, spec fx, everything... was excellent. I especially enjoyed the guy who played McCoy. I thought he did the best with his character of making him a younger version of the original series cast member. His inflection, language, attitude, everything was just spot on. Even the cheesy lines by the original Spock character talking about how important the relationship was between Kirk and Spock were was acceptable. But.........

It's NOT a stand alone project. It has 5 complete Television series, 9-10 other movies, and dozens of books before it that haved defined the Star Trek Universe pretty well. Sure there were lots of inconsistencies between the previous material, but they are all kind of intertwined around a couple of comman pillars that make up the corps of what the whole story is about....., one of which is VULCAN. So here are the 2 things I have the biggest problem with.

1. Vulcan is just as important to the entire story and Federation as Earth is. This new \"time-line\" or \"alternate reality\" is BS. Destroying Vulcan and leaving hardly 10,000 vulcans left alive to rebuild their culture is not acceptable to me. I will never enjoy that kind of deletion from the Star Trek Universe.

2. I don't care what universe you are in, how smart you are, how talented you are, how lucky you are, whatever,.......you don't go from being a young raw cadet to being the captain of your fleet's flagship. That is unrealistic in any storyline..... They could have deleted the stupid monster chase scenes and some others and added in a few minutes with a few different times in Kirk's career as he was up and coming to really give you a sense of his genius and how the admiralty would have recognized that before he assumed command of Enterprise prior to graduating from the Academy. What was he like as an ensign? What was he like as a Lieutenant? What was he like as a first officer? They really missed out here and so did we.

Like I said, it was a great movie if it were not attached to one of the longest running and biggest stories of the last 40 years..... but it was. Of course this is science FICTION and I guess they could tell the story however they want to, but come on. Did a Star Trek movie ever LOSE money at the box office? Why would they not want to appeal to their base, the same base that has allowed the Star Trek Universe to last over 4 decades?

Conclusions and grade:

Money making venture: A+
Story: Fail

P.S. I saw this on an IMAX and the warping sound was freakin AWESOME. It felt like someone was punching me in the solar plexis every time they entered warp!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I think you nailed Hostile.

I saw it in iMax and enjoyed it thoroughly and thought it was worth the $55 bucks I spent on taking my wife to see it.

BUT there were a few things wrong (as Hostile pointed out).

First... ANOTHER time travel. Like it wasn't enough that the majority of Enterprise was about a temperal war. Every 3 episodes of Voyager was about some kind of time travel and about the same with TNG. :roll: ENOUGH with the Time Travel Themes ... O-M-G!

Another thing..
Since when does on star going supernova endanger an ENTIRE GALAXY????? i mean come on. .. and \"Then the unthinkable happened\" .. or was it unimagiable .. i forget.. yeah, it wipped out Romulas. ... o_0
Was Spock flying in the opposite direction?? Did he make some kind of astronomical miscalculation????

What??!! they knew about this and didn't BOTHER Evacuating? or even trying??!! and then this galaxy eating supernova is contained by a pea sized bit of \"red matter\" when he was carrying enough to create a singlularity large enought to form another galaxy??????? WHAT?!

Am I the only one that noticed this????

Apparantly there was a black hole lurking in the story as well.

At least the dialogue didn't totally suck like it did star wars.

I also noticed that Spock uses a lot of non-technical terminology which is very un-Spock like.

And how did Spock know that Vuclans and Romulans share similar histories? or that they look alike? They had never even SEEN a Romulan until Season 1 Epi 14 \"Balance of Terror\".

But that all aside. of itself, the movie as enjoyable.
Did you notice that the guy in the red shirt bought it?? :lol:

I was told that there was even a tribble shown (I missed that):)

Did anyone else catch hallmark \"Star Trekisms\"?
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Since the romulans were cast out from vulcan centuries ago, the vulcans already knew about them.
--------------
----------
---Capm
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

not in the original. We had been at war with them but didn't know what they looked like. Go watch it on Hulu.

*edit*
Actually, they didn't know what became of them. They didn't keep in touch. \"Good bye and don't let the teleporter hit you in the butt on the way out!\" ;)

That group was exiled and never heard from again.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Sirius »

Duper wrote:Did you notice that the guy in the red shirt bought it?? :lol:
To be fair, he was pretty much trying.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Sirius wrote:Oh, I'm thinking of things like "why did that Romulan have a sword", but maybe it'd be worth a read...
or better, what happened to Sulu's faser?

and true Sirius. He was. I guess you could call him an over achiever?
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

Needed hotter chicks.
You be the hero, i'll be the creepy shopkeeper who shows up to save your butt
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

the green chick was freaky.
Hemp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Hemp »

Hostile wrote:I guess I'm more of a Star Trek "purist" if there is such a thing, which actually surprised me. I'm usually open to liberal interpretations of old stories, such as what they did with Battlestar Galactica...... After thinking about it for several days, I did NOT like this movie.

As a stand alone project, meaning if this had been a new story or a remake of an old 1950s film or something, it would have been fantastic. It is a great movie by itself. The directing, acting, spec fx, everything... was excellent. I especially enjoyed the guy who played McCoy. I thought he did the best with his character of making him a younger version of the original series cast member. His inflection, language, attitude, everything was just spot on. Even the cheesy lines by the original Spock character talking about how important the relationship was between Kirk and Spock were was acceptable. But.........

It's NOT a stand alone project. It has 5 complete Television series, 9-10 other movies, and dozens of books before it that haved defined the Star Trek Universe pretty well. Sure there were lots of inconsistencies between the previous material, but they are all kind of intertwined around a couple of comman pillars that make up the corps of what the whole story is about....., one of which is VULCAN. So here are the 2 things I have the biggest problem with.

1. Vulcan is just as important to the entire story and Federation as Earth is. This new "time-line" or "alternate reality" is BS. Destroying Vulcan and leaving hardly 10,000 vulcans left alive to rebuild their culture is not acceptable to me. I will never enjoy that kind of deletion from the Star Trek Universe.

2. I don't care what universe you are in, how smart you are, how talented you are, how lucky you are, whatever,.......you don't go from being a young raw cadet to being the captain of your fleet's flagship. That is unrealistic in any storyline..... They could have deleted the stupid monster chase scenes and some others and added in a few minutes with a few different times in Kirk's career as he was up and coming to really give you a sense of his genius and how the admiralty would have recognized that before he assumed command of Enterprise prior to graduating from the Academy. What was he like as an ensign? What was he like as a Lieutenant? What was he like as a first officer? They really missed out here and so did we.

Like I said, it was a great movie if it were not attached to one of the longest running and biggest stories of the last 40 years..... but it was. Of course this is science FICTION and I guess they could tell the story however they want to, but come on. Did a Star Trek movie ever LOSE money at the box office? Why would they not want to appeal to their base, the same base that has allowed the Star Trek Universe to last over 4 decades?

Conclusions and grade:

Money making venture: A+
Story: Fail

P.S. I saw this on an IMAX and the warping sound was freakin AWESOME. It felt like someone was punching me in the solar plexis every time they entered warp!

X2 I still say my house sound system is better then imax.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yeah and I bet the seats and floors aren't sticky or tall people don't plop down right in front of you and talk on their cell phones, LIKE IN A THEATER! :P

Read the three paperback books titled 'Vulcan's Soul' if you want the back story on the Vulcan/Romulan split and why they don't remember each other. It also explains the Remans.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

So, my question is, now, going forward... what timeline will star trek online fall into? the original timeline, or the new one?
--------------
----------
---Capm
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Who cares? Game On!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

which is making more money? :)
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by snoopy »

Capm wrote:So, my question is, now, going forward... what timeline will star trek online fall into? the original timeline, or the new one?
My guess is that the next movie will be about them traveling back (or forward) in time to prevent Nero's intervention, thus resetting the time line back to the original.

On the topic of time travel, I think that any and all differences leading to much more divergent paths than this movie's idea about it. My imagination says that there's a 0% chance that Kirk would actually end up a Captain, if his father's timeline was altered at all. Likewise, there'd be a -100% chance that Spock and he would end up on the same ship in the same roles as the original timeline.

Yes, I know my math is faulty. I'm just saying that I see paths as neutrally stable at best, probably more like negatively stable. The movie implies positive stability, based on the idea of "destiny." If you start messing with time lines, I think you have to throw the idea of destiny out the window, don't you?
D3Alien
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by D3Alien »

Jon the Great wrote:Needed hotter chicks.
I thought Uhura was pretty hot. :wink:

Anyway, I'm only a minor Trekkie, and I can definitely see the case against it in terms of how it feels as a Star Trek film, and Abrams giving it the "Star Wars prequel treatment," but honestly I can read books if I want great plots, and while it's nice to have visuals and plot, I'm still pretty happy with a lot of eye candy, and that was present in abundance.
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

Funny star trek review.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

tunnelcat wrote:Yeah and I bet the seats and floors aren't sticky or tall people don't plop down right in front of you and talk on their cell phones, LIKE IN A THEATER! :P

Read the three paperback books titled 'Vulcan's Soul' if you want the back story on the Vulcan/Romulan split and why they don't remember each other. It also explains the Remans.
Actually, the iMax that I was in was VERY clean and quiet. ...except for the movie which was just a tad TOO loud. I actually had to plug my ears a couple of times. It was also area seating so there is plenty of height difference from one row to the next.

For myself, I don't care for books about series'. We get most all the info we need from the episode I posted and from the last TNG movie where they go into a history of Remus. hmm always thought the Roman correlation was kinda weird in this show. Never cared for the episodes where they used the old west or Nazi/WWII theme or Romans/ancient Greece.

That was a good Oct. thanks for posting it. They hit a lot of points that I thought of as I was watching, but again, we're placated by the amount of eye-candy sugar that was dumped on this ★■◆● sandwich.

Oh one thing I didn't get and maybe some of you could explain this to me:

How did Nero know when and Where Spock was going to show up as they both were unexpectedly pulled through a black hole....(and survived) ... and how did they stay hid ..completelyover the course of 25 years? Romulans use quantum singularity drives instead of Dilithium reaction cores to power their warp engines. That would have been a red flag across any scanner. I'm not sure that the Federation knew that by then, but it would have been anomalous enough to warrant investigation.

ok.. my geek is showing. :P
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

I just saw Star Trek and loved every bit of it. For an action movie I'd put it up there with Gladiator, 300, or Master and Commander. It's not the same kind of show that the tv orignal was. But that's not bad because I was never a big fan. *hums startrek theme*
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Mind you, I'm a fair enough trekkie, I've watched the shows since I was little but personally, I never really cared for any TV series other than the original. I liked Enterprise for about 4-5 episodes and then I learned to hate it. Personally, none of the ST films, TV shows really coincide with the story of the original.

Personally, I find that all the dialogue in the original movies became a bit boring after a while and this film really hit the spot for me. I really enjoyed the acting and at least Kirk's becoming a captain was better than a 9 year old jedi flying a racing speeder at 300 mph.

I would have liked seeing the little romance that Kirk mentioned in Generations pop up though (the girl he supposedly fell in love with but chose starfleet over).

And yes, killing Vulcan, destroyed a major pillar but I don't really mind, it's a change. Also I like the fact that they are re-making ST for a younger generation and doing something different with it at this point. I also think that time travel is ok in this case. For one, JJ Abrams hates to write stories that leave the audience feeling safe or feeling that any character is safe. Something you can't do with a prequel. So, he did something better by changing the timeline and still giving credit to the original series by saying that it is an alternate universe and yes, the events in the originals still happened. Something that bothers me about BSG is that they remade it but it doesn't give credit to the original films.

Yes, in the next ST film, we may see Scotty, or Checkov, or even Spock die for good. Who knows. And as a warning... JJ Abrams loves to kill off his characters.
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Octopus »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:I really enjoyed the acting and at least Kirk's becoming a captain was better than a 9 year old jedi flying a racing speeder at 300 mph.
Episode 1 – 3 weren’t real starwars films. Ignore those. Someone will remake those.
[]V[]essenjah wrote:I would have liked seeing the little romance that Kirk mentioned in Generations pop up though (the girl he supposedly fell in love with but chose starfleet over).
Romance kills movies. I yelled ‘hurry up’ during Pirates of the Caribbean each time they hit a laggy romantic part.
[]V[]essenjah wrote:And yes, killing Vulcan, destroyed a major pillar but I don't really mind, it's a change.
Plus, not all vulcans lived on Vulcan. There’s going to be about a million left on other planets.
[]V[]essenjah wrote: Something that bothers me about BSG is that they remade it but it doesn't give credit to the original films.
And when Lucas dies, they’ll do the same to starwars…
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

The new Star Trek Movie really is great.

I noticed that it was made to be more of an action movie than Star Trek has traditionally been, but it's well done.
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

I enjoyed the film a lot. First impression was almost all positive. Liked the cast, script, effects, music, everything. On reflection, the things that bother me are fairly minor. That said:

1. In many ways my biggest complaint is that the wormhole/time travel stuff is really played out. It is one of the most hackneyed, cliche devices in Sci Fi. Time travel seems like Abrams' lame way to work Nimoy into the movie. Couldn't the film just be Spock remembering the past without all the time travel? If you're going to go the time travel route, at least don't take it so for granted. Couldn't it possibly be problematic on a cosmic scale to have a conversation with your younger self? Even Van Damme's Time Cop treated the subject with more sophistication.

2. As noted above, a supernova wouldn't threaten the whole galaxy. Nor did it need to! The supernova plot point works fine if they had made it the Romulan sun that was going nova and only Romulus was threatened. As long as Romulus gets destroyed our movie can continue, right?

3. Destroying Vulcan really veers us off the known path of the ST reality we've known. I'm with Snoopy, the next film needs to get reality back on course and save Vulcan. This would redeem the first film, making Vulcan's destruction seem less unpalatable.

Then there are some more minor quibbles.

1. I did not like the fact that Spock designed the Kobayashi Maru. The test was introduced in TOS and you'd think TOS would have mentioned Spock inventing it! There was no need to tinker with the canon just to create dramatic tension between Kirk and Spock.

2. The new film seems to reinvent the origin of McCoy's nickname, \"Bones.\" Now his ex-wife took it all, leaving only his bones. In TOS, Kirk uses \"Bones\" as a diminutive form of \"sawbones\", an endearing, if derogatory, term for physicians.

3. No mention of the prime directive! You'd think we'd see at least one scene of Kirk in class at the Academy being told about the prime directive, perhaps thinking that he might occasionally follow it.

4. I was not really down with the relationship between Uhura and Spock. OK, I'm not expecting the new movie to mirror the old stuff exactly. I'm not asking that someone be cast as nurse Chapel to follow Spock around all doe eyed. And I grant that this move was not something anyone would see coming. But mostly it's surprising because it's not believeable! I wish they'd have left this alone.

Overall, I thought it was a good action flick despite its failure to shine as a true sci fi film. I'm excited to see what they do next.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Saw it last night and liked it. My complaints against it were minor, like the Spock/Uhura romance, Vulcan getting destroyed, and the general \"Hey wait a minute, that didn't hap... oh this is a tangent in time nevermind\" thing.

I wanna see moar.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Um, did anybody notice that the actor that plays Scotty is going prematurely bald in front for such a young age? Notice his hairline? Our beloved Scotty in all the later timeline Trek series had a full head of hair! Maybe they finally find a cure for male pattern baldness in the future to explain away the discrepancy! No Jim, that's my real hair now! 8)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

BUT!

in the future men will be secure in who they are as material posessions have no worth then (in that universe at least)so baldness at any age is ok.

or/and There might have been a shift in culture by then. (they went through a enough wars at that point there should have been some changes)

He was marooned (exiled) to some ice planet making it hard to get a cure.

And last but not least, I went to school with a guy that was nearly completely bald by the time he was 22. (of natural causes)

;) :)

(interesting point none the less :!: )
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ha ha ha ha ha! My husband started losing his hair in college, but he still has quite a bit of hair left up there still. But good old Scotty had a nice full head of hair, while Kirk (Shatner) has had hair implants in his vain old age! :P
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

Again, nearly as important to the story as the vulcan thing...... :P Alternate timelines suck sometimes.....
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

They'll have the borg blow up earth in the next movie, and chase the enterprise across the galaxy for 30 more episodes. But starbuck will save them. :P
\"We lost the right engine. We can only go in circles!\"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I wanted something along those lines for the third 'Aliens' movie. They really blew it though. I really wanted to see what would've happened if the alien had been brought back to earth and GOT LOOSE! Instead, the third sequel story line SUCKED! Little Newt, Ripley and the other survivors who survived all that hell in the second movie were just conveniently KILLED OFF for lack of a better idea or story line! So stupid!
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

tunnelcat wrote:I really wanted to see what would've happened if the alien had been brought back to earth and GOT LOOSE!
They did that already with AVP 2.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I know, but that was Alien vs. Predator, which the Predator was not in the original movie. I wanted to see just a good old Alien vs. Human using the original character of poor suffering Ripley to save the day. She survived the first 2 movies after all. I liked Ripley, she was a strong female lead and could really kick butt. It was a shame to kill her off with a chest burster (her worst nightmare) and a dip in molten metal. Just not as satisfying as Ripley saving Earth and stopping corporate evil intentions all at the same time.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I was under the impression that Star Trek always used different timelines in every new iteration. And was something a Trek fan just had to deal with.

Just one example:

In the original series the earth did “not” fight WW3, but in one of the movies, they did. (I forget which) They either have a retarded continuity manager, or that’s just the way it was intended, all along.

Take your pick…