USB Converter for MS Sidewinder 3DPro, PP, and FFP

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Mr. Lion
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re: USB Converter for MS Sidewinder 3DPro, PP, and FFP

Post by Mr. Lion »

That goes for me, too. I've reached the point where my hands have enough of a tremor that soldering and similar delicate stuff is a little problematic. I'd happily pay a reasonable sum for an adaptor.
Todzilla
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Todzilla »

I finally got one working.
rage76
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by rage76 »

Hello,
Since I found no complete one to order I created it myself including a small case :-)
Based on the original schematics.
Tested with Sidewinder 3DPro firmware.
If someone want one, please contact me.
Attachments
3DPro_5.jpg
3DPro_3.jpg
3DPro_4.jpg
3DPro_2.jpg
3DPro_1.jpg
chrisnoy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by chrisnoy »

I finally got one of these after months of building and trying out the circuit on breadboards.
I got the original working except for some jitter on all axis which was quite bad at times and occured when the stick was touched or held i.e. when the motors were activated.
Thinking this was a breadboard and unsoldered wires problem I managed to buy one as above.
The unit is great and well made. However, my problem with jitter is still there. I have two joysticks both FFB Pro's - both with the same problem. Did anyone find out the cause of this?
I note there are a few references to this jitter in this thread and another...
I will try to check the joysticks for dust etc but feel this may be a more general problem, would love to get these working properly as the actual joystick without the force feedback activated by touching the handle is great but needs the self centring and force feedback feature.
Buck2u
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Buck2u »

Rage 76. I've tried to contact you through e-mail and messaging. Would love to buy one from you. Also have 4 new Microsoft 3D Pro joysticks I could trade. Please get in touch. Would love to get back into this game after years of not playing.
Buck2u
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Buck2u »

Sure would like to buy/trade for one of these converters. Please contact me if you have one for sale/trade.
rage76
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by rage76 »

I already contacted you several times (mail, pm), no response.
Kreeblah
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Kreeblah »

I just got my boards in for a design for this, and they work really well. I took a bit of a different route, though. Because the Teensy 2.0 page has a note saying that it will probably be discontinued in 2021 or 2022, I decided to integrate it with the adaptor to create a single board that can just be sent off for manufacturing. And, well, here it is:

It works just fine in my testing, with flashing it directly via an ISP. And, I did this as an open-source project, with the design and manufacturing files available at https://github.com/Kreeblah/SidewinderToUSBV2

Unfortunately, I don't have a 3D printer, so I haven't been able to design a case for it, but maybe I can find somebody who would be willing to design some files for it.

In the meantime, I have a pile of these that I had manufactured and would be willing to sell if anybody's interested. Just contact me via PM or e-mail if you are.
encore2097
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by encore2097 »

Had some trouble with my SideWinder Precision Pro / SideWinder 3D Pro Plus (97462) with Arduino Pro Micro / Arduino Leonardo using 3DPro32u4-10.hex

Many thanks to Snufkin for their post.

I was having trouble because I connected PB0 to the bottom of the RX LED, instead of the bottom of the resistor below the RX LED!
Before: blinking RX LED, now solid RX LED and recognized under Game Controllers.

The remaining issue is the calibration is off and the button initially seem slow to be recognized then responsive after a few presses.

I'm wondering if the joystick is old or its a poor soldering job on my part. I soldered the joystick wires directly to the Arduino Pro Micro / Arduino Leonardo.

Hopefully this pinout is helpful to someone else:

Code: Select all

DB15	Color		Pro Micro
1	RED		Vcc
2	PURPLE		3 + bottom of resistor below RxLED
3	GRAY		9
4	BLACK		GND
7	BLUE		15
10	GREEN		16
11	WHITE		
12	LIGHT BLUE	
14	YELLOW		14	
Snufkin
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Snufkin »

encore2097 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:12 pm I was having trouble because I connected PB0 to the bottom of the RX LED, instead of the bottom of the resistor below the RX LED!
Oops, my mistake, I described where to solder wrong. Glad you got that working
The remaining issue is the calibration is off and the button initially seem slow to be recognized then responsive after a few presses.

I'm wondering if the joystick is old or its a poor soldering job on my part. I soldered the joystick wires directly to the Arduino Pro Micro / Arduino Leonardo.
Don't remember having any problems with mine. Might have had an issue with the throttle, and had to disassemble to clean it. It was a while ago since I looked at it, but I've a feeling that the sensors for stick position were optical, so shouldn't need calibrating like old potentiometers. Slow to respond switches might also be dodgy contacts maybe? Might be worth taking it apart and trying to clean up switches with some IPA.
Veneroso
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Veneroso »

Try as I might I keep coming back to this page.... I think it's time!
Buck2u
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Buck2u »

Obtained one of the converters from Rage76. Thanks Rage76!! Works great!! I'm back playing Descent after an 18 year hiatus. Woohoo. Question. I seem to remember there was a command line switch that decreases the dead zone for pitch. Anybody remember what that was?
Veneroso
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Veneroso »

Thanks @Kreeblah I was able to get my Microsoft Sidewinder 3d Pro working again under windows 10. It's working wonderfully. Since I live in the states it was cheaper shipping than going through @rage76. Simply fantastic.
Attachments
20210617_134538_Small.jpg
Kreeblah
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Kreeblah »

I updated my design to use a USB C port, since that's what everything is moving towards these days (and it makes connecting to my MacBook Pro much more straightforward). I've updated the schematics and board layout at https://github.com/Kreeblah/SidewinderToUSBV2, along with the production files (Gerber files, pick and place files, and BOMs) to reflect that. The microUSB design is still available on the micro_usb branch, but I don't expect to be doing much more with it. But, I still have some of those left over, and I also have a bunch of USB C-based adaptors that I had made with this new design.

Also, if anybody wants a Teensy 2.0 for building an adaptor based on one of those, they're in pretty short supply these days. The PJRC page lists a few sites that still have stock, but there aren't very many at this point.