Do you own a headset you like?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Do you own a headset you like?

Post by Isaac »

My logitech clearchat pro has been a pain since the day I got it. No real good support for Ubuntu and once working the speakers started to buzz just after I past the last day to return them. And the biggest problem is anything that's played in the speakers is recorded by the mic... I can use echo cancellation but this causes audio to be cut off completely at times. :x :cry:

Solution: Not buying a crappy headset.

I'll get anything working in Ubuntu so my real concern is the quality of sound. No buzzing and good soundproofing. And a high quality mic. My birthday is almost here and I'd really like to find something new before then.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

I have Koss (the $30 ones) headphones and a Labtec microphone. It's not USB, it's not fancy, but it does the job fine. Yes, I'm cheap when it comes to chat gear because I don't use it often enough to justify $50 for headphones and $20 for a microphone.

Try a Turtle Beach or other quality headset. Browse Newegg and shelves at OfficeMax (a friend of mine got a nice Turtle Beach at OfficeMax).
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I have a microphone that clips on to my shirt which I use in conjunction with a decent pair of headphones.
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

I generally just buy crappy earbuds or headphones, then throw them away once they go bad. Of course, I wouldn't really recomend this option. It tends to bring a lot of frustration.
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

Sennheiser HD 575

Built in mic in notebook.
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Yup!

got them last year for my birthday and they're still going strong.

The Turtle Beach Ear Force HPA2

Built in surround sound and a very good mic. Worth the money imho.

The really nice thing is that these have jacks that let you plug in your speakers as well as the headphones. :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, I'm fairly happy with my headset (Sennheiser PC350). Does have very good sound quality and soundproofing, and the mic is the best I've found as well. The big ... contraindication ... is the price.

I haven't really determined whether it is better than \"surround\" headphones or those with more powerful bass (e.g. subs) though. Haven't tried that variety...
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Those are nice Sirius. Price is all over the place though.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Got a Razer Barracuda 5.1 set (Woot.com sale, like $40) a couple years back. They're fairly comfortable, mic is mediocre but workable, 5.1-channel audio is great.