USB Drivers for Dell Inspiron 1501??!?!??!

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

USB Drivers for Dell Inspiron 1501??!?!??!

Post by Red_5 »

Ok, so I finally removed Windows Vista and installed XP Pro, and all the drivers are installed except for the USB drivers, which I can't find for the life of me.

The USB ports still work, but they're read as generic USB 1.0 ports so it annoys me about \"plugging into a faster port\" every time I connect something.

Already downloaded EVERYTHING from Dell's website.

Any help?

Thanks!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

You did install XP Service Pack 3 first right?
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

Yup.

Which installation package might contain the drivers though?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Delete all the USB hubs and controllers from device manager and then hit action ---> scan for hardware changes.

Otherwise the USB drivers should be packed with the chipset driver.
captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by captain_twinkie »

Also what order did you install the drivers in? Some laptops and desktops of theres get EXTREMELY picky if you dont install the Notebook/Desktop system software first before the chipset.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

My DELL has 2 USB hubs & 10 ports…they all report as “generic” Version 2.

I have the following things on USB…

Mouse
Keyboard
Printer (2) one on an emulated parallel port
HD
Zip

And two drives that only attach temp. (backup)

I Have also attached a number of different things to my ports over the years…cameras, thumb drives etc, and I have never seen any of them complain about needing a “faster port”. Even my old ME box reports it’s USB ports as version 2.

It may be the case that DELL has no drivers for USB ports, and simply uses the Windows mini drivers. I have had other DELL’s as well, and none of them have OEM USB drivers.

Hell…even my HPudpacker, reports the USB devices as “standard”

So just to make a long story short…are you sure they are version 2 ports?

Then I would try what Krom said, and delete the ports and hubs and do a reinstall.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

There is a glitch when you install XP from a XP gold (meaning no service packs) disk on systems with USB 2.0 that will lead to the USB drivers refusing to install correctly because proper generic USB 2.0 support wasn't included in XP till SP1. The fix is to install the infs then delete all the USB controllers and hubs from device manager and then rescan, the system will usually sort everything out after that.

I haven't seen this happen since I started using slipstreamed disks, but I suppose it could still happen if it was some exotic USB controller that still doesn't have a driver so is forced to operate in 1.0/1.1 mode to function.
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

Alright, I'll give the delete trick a shot. Will post back...