Math nerds kick major ass!

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Math nerds kick major ass!

Post by Will Robinson »

Why? Because they can shoot down a nuke missile with ray gun biotches!!

Not making any kind of political statement here. All I'm saying is this is more proof that math nerds are teh baddest on the battlefield! So be nice and respect the nerd!!
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re: Math nerds kick major ass!

Post by Grendel »

Will Robinson wrote:Why? Because they can shoot down a nuke missile with ray gun biotches!!
Yea, 20+ years of development and you still have to be pretty close to that missile during boost phase in order to do that. How much money was spent on that ?

Edit: ah, about 3.75b+. For a weapon that is highly specialized and very costly to operate. :roll:
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Was Chris Knight the project head?
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Math nerds kick major ass!

Post by Will Robinson »

Grendel wrote:
Will Robinson wrote:Why? Because they can shoot down a nuke missile with ray gun biotches!!
Yea, 20+ years of development and you still have to be pretty close to that missile during boost phase in order to do that. How much money was spent on that ?
I don't know but consider how technology advances and remember we went from two guys flying a home built glider jumping off a sand dune in North Carolina to landing on the moon then flying back to earth in about 60 years....when you look at that 60 year span all the years previous to the glider flight don't seem like such a long waste of effort now do they?

If this is our laser weaponry 'glider flight' what will we see in ten years? Tanks on the battlefield being rendered useless...warships disabled floating aimlessly in the currents all from a satellite blasting a beam of light at them?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Updated my post above. In ten years we may see the practical version of that proto plane.. :P
ImageImage
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

3.75 billion is a steal considering Congress just spent 20 times that on stimulus' and got nothing for it! well....they get something for it but the rest of us just got the freakin bill for it!
So put my money on the laser for the win!!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

Will Robinson wrote:3.75 billion is a steal considering Congress just spent 20 times that on stimulus' and got nothing for it!
You forgot a zero in there somewhere, or is that some sort of new 'conservative' math?

---> http://www.recovery.gov/FAQ/Pages/ForCi ... ecoveryact
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by Flatlander »

Ferno wrote:Was Chris Knight the project head?
Can it make popcorn? :D
si vis pacem, para bellum
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

That logic makes no sence, if Will wanted to give it a conservative twist he would have added zeros…no?

Flatlander....yes...lots of it.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Just gotta make sure it's retargeted.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Krom wrote:
Will Robinson wrote:3.75 billion is a steal considering Congress just spent 20 times that on stimulus' and got nothing for it!
You forgot a zero in there somewhere, or is that some sort of new 'conservative' math?

---> http://www.recovery.gov/FAQ/Pages/ForCi ... ecoveryact
I guess I have that conservative shell shock that reduces my willingness to accept the economic carnage by a factor of 10 or something.
Or maybe in a thread promoting math nerds I had a Freudian slip knowing I can barely help my kids with algebra homework ;)

and don't worry Bet that your logic is bassackwards all that matters is you disparage conservatives right? Besides, having your facts wrong doesn't matter to your audience they just want you to carry the Koolaid canteen without spilling it..
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Will Robinson wrote:and don't worry Bet that your logic is bassackwards all that matters is you disparage conservatives right? Besides, having your facts wrong doesn't matter to your audience they just want you to carry the Koolaid canteen without spilling it..
Will, she never uses facts
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

How about a video of the event.

Considering the laser was megawatt class, it's likely it was a chemical laser. Not solid-state.
Chemical lasers are bulky fuckers, and reliant on burning up their chemical \"fuel\" for each firing. They are not electric.
edit: confirmed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_o ... dine_laser

When Israel's military boffins were experimenting with shooting down airborne shells with chemical lasers a few years ago, the lasers don't even fit on a single truck.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

roid wrote:...

When Israel's military boffins were experimenting with shooting down airborne shells with chemical lasers a few years ago, the lasers don't even fit on a single truck.
Yes, and when we were first flirting with manned flight we went 120 feet from the top of a hill to it's bottom...66 years later we went to the moon and back.

I'm encouraged what else can I say!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I actually think at some point in the not too distant future we are going to have to think seriously about weaponizing space. I have little doubt there are countries *cough*Chi*cough*na*cough* with plans to do so already, and the thought of falling behind in that field is most disconcerting.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Chemical lasers don't have the elegance of the good-ol' solid state lasers that we are all used to.
Solid state lasers are catching up, but it might take a few years :-/

i'm mostly interesting because of laser powered propulsion.
It would be much more convenient be reliant purely on electricity rather than on chemical fuels.
But what can one do, but wait for technology to catch up.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

You still have to produce the electricity.

Each type has it’s place.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

roid wrote:Considering the laser was megawatt class, it's likely it was a chemical laser. Not solid-state.
Grendel wrote: Yea
20 shots before refueling. :P
ImageImage
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

Krom wrote:I actually think at some point in the not too distant future we are going to have to think seriously about weaponizing space. I have little doubt there are countries *cough*Chi*cough*na*cough* with plans to do so already, and the thought of falling behind in that field is most disconcerting.
While i agree on the one hand, i wanna point out that weaponizing an area not fit for human life makes about as much sense as an ant picking up a crane, what point is there?

and before you cry space station let me point out that we're already in debt up to our eyeballs so fighting for being the first to colonize a place made out of things that can't grow mass ammounts of food will not carry long.

People have to have a planet on which to eat, breathe and breed, No man can change that.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Floyd »

Behemoth wrote:While i agree on the one hand, i wanna point out that weaponizing an area not fit for human life makes about as much sense as an ant picking up a crane, what point is there?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoldenEye
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I would question why we need to be the first ones up there. I would say we should be the first to be able to secure our skies even up into the upper atmosphere (or as far up as necessary to defend against enemy satellites). Lasers on the ground might be more effective for that, no? I'm not involved enough to know for sure, but I would think that would be a much better course than a M.A.D. (Mutually Assured Destruction) rush to weaponize the place.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

It’s not about weaponizing a place that cannot be habitated…it’s about holding the high ground.

And in general I think we should leave space neutral, but the other guys prolly won’t…so what Krom said.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

:lol:
ImageImage
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

The first country to truly weaponize space wins. period.

Being at the top of the gravity well is just to big of an advantage.

For example, put a good military base on the moon and you can drop rocks on earth all day long. Rocks that hit with the force of the Hiroshima bomb. It's easy and CHEAP to drop rocks. It's difficult and expensive to stop or deflect them.

The moon base could supply rocks to a few other orbiting platforms, just to keep worldwide coverage.

And defense is pretty easy. Kinetic weapons or missiles going up have a very large disadvantage when compared to kinetic weapons shooting down. Laser weapons based on earth would be a bit of a threat, but there are many defenses against a laser, and very few defenses against falling rocks.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

ha! Yep. :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Kilarin wrote:The first country to truly weaponize space wins. period.

Being at the top of the gravity well is just to big of an advantage.

For example, put a good military base on the moon and you can drop rocks on earth all day long. Rocks that hit with the force of the Hiroshima bomb. It's easy and CHEAP to drop rocks. It's difficult and expensive to stop or deflect them.

The moon base could supply rocks to a few other orbiting platforms, just to keep worldwide coverage.

And defense is pretty easy. Kinetic weapons or missiles going up have a very large disadvantage when compared to kinetic weapons shooting down. Laser weapons based on earth would be a bit of a threat, but there are many defenses against a laser, and very few defenses against falling rocks.
aka... "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"?? :lol:
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Duper wrote:aka... "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"?
Exactamundo!
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

You think that man needs a planet to survive on.
It's like you've never read a sci-fi book and/or exersized your imagination before, never heard of engineering, and completely missed the whole \"man landing on the moon\" thing.

Don't be so conservative.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

I would say man does really need a planet to thrive. Otherwise it's just way too much work.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Maybe in ten thousand years…
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Here's how you can tell whether your imagination is running away with you as usual or not, Roid. Has man colonized the extreme polar regions yet (or the oceans)? No?! Haven't they ever read too many sci-fi books or used their imaginations?! ;)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

There are permanent settlements in Antarctica.
but no it's not sustainable and self-sufficient, as AFAIK they don't grow their own food or produce their own heating fuel (or do they just use electricity for most of their heating?).

If we want to be self-sufficient in Space, it would indeed be be easier to practice on less-habitable parts of Earth such as Antarctica, Deserts, or Undersea.

Asteroid mining would likely be the most obvious reason to goto space. There are riches to be had up there. It would be easier to produce food and oxygen in space rather than have to ship it from Earth's gravity well all the time (which is rather hard).

Eventually we will be a space-faring species. It's just a matter of time really.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Considering there is a inexhaustible source of clean energy (the sun) in space, you'd think living in space would in some ways be easier than on earth. Biggest problem would be getting rid of excess heat tho.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yea, right along with that inexhaustible source of deadly radiation.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Re:

Post by Krom »

Spidey wrote:Yea, right along with that inexhaustible source of deadly radiation.
x2, will cook you faster than any earthbound nuclear toaster ever could. :P
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Your guys' problem is that you don't read nearly enough sci-fi. ;)