Descent 3 sound and keyboard problems on new machine..

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Drake
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Descent 3 sound and keyboard problems on new machine..

Post by Drake »

Hey all, I was hoping you guys could give me a hand...

I recently installed this old game on my computer.
Its a windows 7 machine, 8600 gt vid card

I installed the game, patched it to 1.4 and applied the nocd.

I've set my vid card and sound card to the appropriate ones in the setup in D3

ive also tried running the launcher in compat mode for win xp and win 98..
The launcher works fine with sound, but the game has no sound. Also, MOST keyboard and joystick controls dont work. except for a few like.. a flar set on joystick, tab, rear view, and esc

Im kinda trumped. anybody know the source/solution to these problems?

thanks for any help,

-Drake
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I have a W7 box too. (64 bit) I also had some difficulty getting up and running. I would say, make SURE you have the right drivers.

Could you post your system specs?
Hang in there, we'll get ya going.
Sickone
MIA Host/Admin
MIA Host/Admin

Post by Sickone »

Maybe you are britgher than me (most likely).
When I was getting D3 up and running again
after years. I got it installed, but no Joystick ???
I had forgotten to enable it in the pilot setup.

I found in d2 rebirth... for whatever reason I had to diddle the windows sound control at start up some times to have sound.

This was all under Win7 64.

What was your sound selection(s) under the setup tab of D3?

How is your joystick connected to the system ? Is it a game port or is it a usb joystick ?
Drake
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Drake »

Hey, thanks for the response

I also have 64 bit, I probably should have mentioned that.

I am sure i've got the latest nvidia drivers.. Plus, drivers wouldn't explain the lack of controls working

System Specs:

Windows 7 64 bit
4 gigs of RAM
8600 GT
GIGABYTE GA-945GCM-S2C LGA 775 Intel 945GC Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz Intel Proccesor
Logitech 963290-0403 Extreme 3D Pro USB Joystick

The joystick is connected, windows see's it, and im sure that descent recognizes it. As in, both the setup AND the in-game setup for controls. I could set every button (button 1, button 2, the 900 other buttons I have) except for the z-axis and hat.

As for sound, I am sure it selected the right sound in the setup. Ill double check though

What do you mean diddle with the widnows sound control?
Sickone
MIA Host/Admin
MIA Host/Admin

Post by Sickone »

\"diddle the sound control in Windows\" = (Don't know why) I would just click the speraker in the system tray, and change the volume level. Then it would work in game. This was on D2 Rebirth, everything else worked fine.

On the Joystick.
Under Windows calibration and test, does the Z axis and Hat work ? You are saying that X/Y axis is OK ?
Drake
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Drake »

Ok so, scratch everything. I was basically being a dummy AND i had the wrong sound driver set. Everything works now >.<

The z axis and hat work on windows, just not in the game. Its really not a big deal for me :P

Thanks for the help guys

EDIT: Jeeese i forgot how hard this game is! The Hat works but not the Z-axis. Its probably juts cuz its a new joystick and a 10 year old game..
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

what joystick? with windows 7 you need to reboot after installing a new joystick if you have multiple HID devices for it's placement to be reorganized and settled. Also right click the joystick in the 'Devices and Printer' option on the start menu and select game controller properties, advanced button and set it to be the prefered device

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

if your joystick has a throttle, put that one in center position (50%) and then try to assign the z-axis.

if that throttle is on 100% or 0% while assigning an axis to a movement d3 will assume you triggered that throttle-axis and will assign it to the function you wanted the z-axis for.
Drake
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Drake »

This joystick: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Ill try that, because it does have a throttle. Even if the game doesent assign the throttle..?

The hat does work, its just the z-axis.

I'm sorry, HID Devices?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

HID = Human Interface Device

Logitech 3D Pro Extreme works flawlessly in Windows 7 unless you try to use their software instead of just the windows core drivers

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.