USB Legacy Support

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

USB Legacy Support

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I have an issue I'm trying to fix on my PC at home. My USB External drive won't allow my PC to boot unless I turn it off.

It hangs at the POST. My system sees the drive but won't get past it. Once I turn off the drive, it reboots fine.

I've read about turning off USB Legacy Support (as a cause to this happening) but it also mentioned I won't be able to use my USB KB to get back into my BIOS if need be unless I hada PS2 style KB handy (which I don't).

Is this the only way to get around this issue?

P4 3ghz
Win Xp Pro
yada yada yada
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Check and see if there are any BIOS updates for your motherboard that address issues with USB. Otherwise check the boot order priorities and make sure it isn't trying to boot from USB drives first (frequently in older BIOSes USB keys/external drives will be listed in the hard drive priority list).
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I already checked the boot order and it's set only to my HD. I was gonna check for an update to BIOS last night but got side tracked. Will check tonight.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

try toggling \"try other boot devices\" in the bios.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

BIOS was already up to date.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

fliptw wrote:try toggling "try other boot devices" in the bios.
It is most likely trying to boot off of the usb drive. Some bios' have the "try other boot devices" and some have a specific option to boot off of a usb drive. Just turn anything like that off. I don't think it has anything to do with a legacy mode. All my laptops are set to boot from a usb drive if it is plugged in and they will hang until it is unplugged if the drive was not set up to boot.
Why doesn't it work?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Well, nothing has worked. My BIOS sees it when it's plugged in as a USB device also with my KB and Mouse but just hangs there. I'd tried everything I could in the BIOS that had anything to do with it and nothing worked. Maybe my Pc is to old. I'll wait til I buy new one.
BAAL
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by BAAL »

That problem happens on my newest system, with CERTAIN flash drives....2 of em work fine, a kingston and a memorex, however theres a 3rd one i use for work that causes teh same problem.