Toy trains!!!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Toy trains!!!

Post by Isaac »

You might want to mute the garbage they call music in this video:

This one's also good:
dwlpunk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by dwlpunk »

lol trains and techno music.. odd.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I like trains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh yeah, so i saw the movie unstoppable, with Denzel Washington. It's the dumbest movie I've seen in a long time. If you have to see it, take your sense of humor with you. Make sure its enough to last the whole movie and feel free to yell at the characters, as no one in the audience will care.

Watching the trains, though, was lots of fun. You get to watch the train switch tracks up close. There's a cool part where the train slowly has to make a turn and you get to see the wheels pressing against the side of the rails as the tons of metal push forward. I mean, it's just a regular turn at a slow slow speed, but I sat there wondering how it was not falling off the track. The whole movie could have been just those non-special effect shots of trains doing regular stuff and I would have had a blast. Everything else was retarded.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I still have my HO scale train set in a box somewhere... Actually two sets, and a dozen or so kit cars that I put together. Hopefully I get to a point in my life where I can return to them.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

My trains are all gone :(
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

when I was a Kid, My dad had a ton of HO that My Grandfather gave him back in the 40's and 50's. My mom threw them all away after the divorce in 1973 :shock:
I probably could have retired off them by now
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

My dad built me a 8x4ft plywood table for my HO scale. I loved it. Then when my parents split, my grandfather took a hammer to the table to split it apart without removing the tracks first. The table was bnuilt to be able to be taken apart in half. That ruined my entire table. never bought another since.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

Why would anyone do that? That's an incredibly dick move.
Fear is the engine that destroys freedom.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Tunnelcat »

Isaac wrote:I like trains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh yeah, so i saw the movie unstoppable, with Denzel Washington. It's the dumbest movie I've seen in a long time. If you have to see it, take your sense of humor with you. Make sure its enough to last the whole movie and feel free to yell at the characters, as no one in the audience will care.

Watching the trains, though, was lots of fun. You get to watch the train switch tracks up close. There's a cool part where the train slowly has to make a turn and you get to see the wheels pressing against the side of the rails as the tons of metal push forward. I mean, it's just a regular turn at a slow slow speed, but I sat there wondering how it was not falling off the track. The whole movie could have been just those non-special effect shots of trains doing regular stuff and I would have had a blast. Everything else was retarded.
Rent the movie Runaway Train. Much better.

Runaway Train
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Oh that was a good Movie TC
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

CDN_Merlin wrote:My dad built me a 8x4ft plywood table for my HO scale. I loved it. Then when my parents split, my grandfather took a hammer to the table to split it apart without removing the tracks first. The table was bnuilt to be able to be taken apart in half. That ruined my entire table. never bought another since.
null0010 wrote:Why would anyone do that? That's an incredibly dick move.
Divorce is a nasty move. No matter how much the parents may need to seperate, the children always, ALWAYS lose. Especially when the parents lose control of their emotions.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Tunnelcat »

Heretic wrote:Oh that was a good Movie TC
Definitely. Jon Voight was particularly good and the train action was excellent.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Come to think of it... I dug out one of my power packs recently to hook up a case fan to. This way it was multi-speed without needing to be plugged into the motherboard.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i don't get it.

to: toy train freaks
pls justify your existence to me?
-roid
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

roid wrote:i don't get it.

-roid

roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

flying cars and rocketpacks are cool.
and perhaps tabletop wargames.
i like steam & stirling engines.
but what's with all these toy trains.

take my hand and show me the wonders of your strange choochoo worldddddd
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

COME THEN, YOUNG LAD! HOP IN MY POOCHOO TRAIN AND SING ALONG!!!!!
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

As a side notion, I like steam locomotives. I may not have a train set and I don't think they're weird for people to play with, but I occasionally run MS Train Simulator (when I can get it to work) and drive the steam locomotives as a challenge. They're a lot of work to manage and control. Diesels just don't have that magic as a living, breathing machine.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

-roid
i suspect asperger's
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

null0010 wrote:

-roid
i suspect asperger's
I suspect space vampires and things that start with the letter W
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

Isaac wrote:
null0010 wrote:

-roid
i suspect asperger's
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

null0010 wrote:
Isaac wrote:
null0010 wrote:

-roid
i suspect asperger's
#@%$ twilight...
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

Team Edward forever! He's so dreamy. :)
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

tunnelcat wrote:As a side notion, I like steam locomotives. I may not have a train set and I don't think they're weird for people to play with, but I occasionally run MS Train Simulator (when I can get it to work) and drive the steam locomotives as a challenge. They're a lot of work to manage and control. Diesels just don't have that magic as a living, breathing machine.
TC then you might be interested in this. it's just outside Mololla at a place called shady dell. it's free. but it's only open a few months a year. we take all the grand kis there about once a year. they have a Picnic ground, so you can make an afternoon of it.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

CUDA wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:As a side notion, I like steam locomotives. I may not have a train set and I don't think they're weird for people to play with, but I occasionally run MS Train Simulator (when I can get it to work) and drive the steam locomotives as a challenge. They're a lot of work to manage and control. Diesels just don't have that magic as a living, breathing machine.
TC then you might be interested in this. it's just outside Mololla at a place called shady dell. it's free. but it's only open a few months a year. we take all the grand kis there about once a year. they have a Picnic ground, so you can make an afternoon of it.

That's so cool! I wonder how long it takes to build one from scrap metal. They have a welding class at my school I should take, which teaches arc welding.

Freaking awesome stuff! Did you see all the little parts it had!?!??!
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Isaac wrote:Freaking awesome stuff! Did you see all the little parts it had!?!??!
Ya I've stood within 5 feet of it :P

― Theodore Roosevelt
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

null0010 wrote:

-roid
i suspect asperger's
hmm, i'm never going to look at the minecart tracks in Minecraft in the same way again.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

roid wrote:
null0010 wrote:

-roid
i suspect asperger's
hmm, i'm never going to look at the minecart tracks in Minecraft in the same way again.
Before or after you've shot a pig into space? Or was it a cow?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Tunnelcat »

CUDA wrote:TC then you might be interested in this. it's just outside Mololla at a place called shady dell. it's free. but it's only open a few months a year. we take all the grand kis there about once a year. they have a Picnic ground, so you can make an afternoon of it.

Yeah, that looks cool, especially in small scale. Little steam locos always look the best when someone goes to the trouble to actually replicate and machine all the small moving parts. I've got a good friend in Mololla. Next time I visit, I might just check it out.

When I was a kid, I rode a steam train on the old Oregon, Pacific and Eastern Railway out of Cottage Grove. They were giving excursion rides for turists back then, just before they sold the line. I've been fond of steam engines ever since, they're just fascinating to watch in motion. This was the very same line that the movie 'Emperor of the North' was filmed on too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon,_Pa ... rn_Railway

I also remember this steam engine that sat in Oaks Park on static display years ago. Thankfully it was finally restored to running condition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Pacific_4449

I just thought of another good train movie. It's an oldie set during the end of WWII starring Burt Lancaster called 'The Train'. More excellent steam locomotive action.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Train