N-band router

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

N-band router

Post by VonVulcan »

So I bought a E2000 lynksys router and it did work better then my old netgear but I needed to get a compatible N-band adapter to take advantage of it. So I bought the AE1000 HIGH PERFORMANCE adapter and it is anything BUT high performance... Advertising says greater range with N-band... Well, maybe 1/2 the range of my internal adapter... I went to the cisco forum and tried the various settings with no improvement. Anybody know any secret fixes? I updated the routers firmware.
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

N band wireless can only run at full speed when there are no other legacy wireless devices (ie: B/G) transmitting within earshot.
A pretty difficult feat in this day and age.
jsimmons
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by jsimmons »

You might want to try the Rosewill RNX-N300X internal adapter combined with the Rosewill RNX-A2-EX antenna (or D-Link ANT24-0230 antenna). I get 150Mbps on that connection.

You might also want to try a Hawking HWUN2 USB adapter. I use that on my HTPC and while I only get 65Mbps connection, it streams movies smoothly

BTW, I have a D-Link DIR-655 router.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

I was thinking about a possible work around...

Use my old netgear as the gateway turning off wireless and down line closer to my location plug in the new n-band router using it's wireless for my notebook. About 15' away from the laptop. Then the new router will act as a switch only? That should get me my 150 mbps speed?
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

*bump*
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by ccb056 »

roid wrote:N band wireless can only run at full speed when there are no other legacy wireless devices (ie: B/G) transmitting within earshot.
A pretty difficult feat in this day and age.

Not true, B/G are on 2.4 ghz, N can run on either 5 or 2.4 ghz. It all comes down to SNR, youre going to have a hard time running 2.4 N with a lot of legacy equipment in the area, just like you have a hard time running G at full speeds in apartment complexes.

5ghz has less wall penetration given the same power, but the spectrum is pretty much clear compared to 2.4 so your SNR is going to be a lot higher if you have line of sight
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: N-band router

Post by Thenior »

VonVulcan wrote:So I bought a E2000 lynksys router and it did work better then my old netgear but I needed to get a compatible N-band adapter to take advantage of it. So I bought the AE1000 HIGH PERFORMANCE adapter and it is anything BUT high performance... Advertising says greater range with N-band... Well, maybe 1/2 the range of my internal adapter... I went to the cisco forum and tried the various settings with no improvement. Anybody know any secret fixes? I updated the routers firmware.
This doesn't help you with your current router, but if you can return it, try getting some EnGenius high powered equipment. Works like an absolute dream.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

is your e2000 running the latest firmware?
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

VonVulcan wrote:So I bought a E2000 ......I updated the routers firmware.

Skimmer. :P lol, yes I did.