Need soundcard gurus...

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Need soundcard gurus...

Post by Red_5 »

So for Christmas I got a computer dedicated to running Tascam's GigaStudio 3 Virtual Orchestra. Two hard drives devoted entirely to sample libraries and a way high-end GigaStudio Interface-compatible soundcard (specifically an RME Digital Hammerfall)

Well the mainboard on it died.

What I'm looking to do is put the Hammerfall soundcard in my current everyday-use desktop computer. Now here's my problem: The soundcard only has optical outputs, and the nearest optical-compatible soundsystem is down in the basement (which is where I had the GigaStudio computer until it died).

Here's my idea: This desktop computer already has one of them built-in soundcards that just does the normal 1/8\" output to computer speakers or headphones or whatever you want. I'm wondering if it's possible to have both this stock soundcard and the Hammerfall in the same system without the two interfering. The Hammerfall would only be used when GigaStudio is running, and the stock card would handle everything else.

Here's the twist: Would it be possible to have the two soundcards work together? Specifically, have the Hammerfall to process everything GigaStudio puts out and then just pipe it over to the stock soundcard so I can use my headphones (and not have to buy an expensive optical converter)?

Thanks in advance!
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Short answer: yes, you can do it. You probably need to research into it. The cards won't inherently conflict with each other. The trick is figuring out how to direct your sounds to the appropriate cards from each program.

You also have the option to turn off the on-board sound card from your bios, I'm sure.

I could tell you how to do it in Linux, but not windows, sorry.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

You should just be able to go into control panel and specify various default Output and Recording devices. Then, in Gigastudio, you can specify your other soundcard as the output or recording device. Windows 7 is pretty good about handling things like that.

So, in theory it should work, but sound cards can be funny sometimes.
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

Thanks. I'll give it a try tomorrow and report back.