BRRRRRRRRRR!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

BRRRRRRRRRR!

Post by Tunnelcat »

Our temperature at sunrise this morning. It was 15 degrees F just an hour earlier and this thermometer is stuck to a window, so it may be a little bit colder. This is record cold for normally balmy and wet Oregon. You can see in the background some of the 3 inches of snow that remains on the ground. I can't wait for spring. This winter has been rough for most of the country.

Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: BRRRRRRRRRR!

Post by TechPro »

Awww, Tough it up there! :wink:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ahhh, but it's a dry cold! We're wussies in Oregon. Now when I lived in Colorado, I routinely experienced -25 degrees F. That's so cold, the snow squeaks when you walk on it!
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

tunnelcat wrote:We're wussies in Oregon.
Speak for your self :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I am not impressed, but that is because I've been out in as low as -33F. I call it cold out when florescent tube lights won't turn on at all. Or when touching the metal ignition switch of your car without gloves on gives you a second degree burn. Or when you toss a glass of freshly made coffee up into the air and it is frozen before it hits the ground.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

tunnelcat wrote:Now when I lived in Colorado, I routinely experienced -25 degrees F. That's so cold, the snow squeaks when you walk on it!
I didn't grow up here in Denver, so the squeaky, dry, crisp snow is still pretty cool (pun possibly intended) in my book. :)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

CUDA wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:We're wussies in Oregon.
Speak for your self :P
x2 :P
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

★■◆●ing pansies.

Talk to me when youve taken turns with perfect strangers waiting outside for a bus to come because its -30F outside with windchills as cold as -50, and any exposed and unshielded skin will start to frostbite after 30 seconds. I think the longest any of us could manage to stay outside in that was like 4 minutes before we waved the next victim outside.
Descer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Descer »

In 1 morning, there'd been -28 C. Most o' days had temperature between -18-26. That and lot o' snow are waht I call winter!
It's just a game. Face it.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

And now for something completely different:

Here in Perth, we just had our 24th consecutive day of temperatures above 33 degrees centigrade (91 degrees F)

Our all time record for consecutive days at this temp is 25 days straight. We're going to match that tomorrow and the forecast for the next 5 days after that is also above 33.

There's been 22 nights in a row where the temperature didn't go below 27 deg C (80 deg. F) and over 57 days this summer with temps over 30 Deg.

It's 10.00pm right now and it's 29 deg C ...and reeeeaal humid.

Anyone wanting to trade weather is quite welcome! :P
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Avder wrote:...you've taken turns with perfect strangers waiting outside for a bus to come because its -30F outside with windchills as cold as -50, and any exposed and unshielded skin will start to frostbite after 30 seconds. I think the longest any of us could manage to stay outside in that was like 4 minutes before we waved the next victim outside.
That describes the experience I have getting home from school in the winter pretty well.
Imho a dry cold is better than a wet cold. I hate humidity.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Oregonians tend to be freaky whenever the word "snow" comes out. The news stations in Portland practically fall all over themselves with predictions of doom and gloom whenever that word is uttered. The sudden high rate of stupid winter drivers that come out is a pretty good indication too. Then when the state legislature starts calling for the banning of studded tires to save our roads from premature wear, they cry; "Whine, whine, oh what will I do, I need to get around. There's too many hills and mountains"! That's why I call Oregonians wussies in the snow.

However, when in comes to rain, we're MACHO KINGS! We bask in it's glory! We can slog through that all winter with nary a gripe. Everyone else pales, balks, gets depressed and whines when they have to live here during the long, dreary gray winters of Oregon and Washington.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

That is a little colder than it got up in Bellevue/Redmond. Not our coldest of the winter though, that was (ironically) in November when I saw -9 C (think that's about 15 F) overnight. And that doesn't begin to compare with Canuck's tales of what it's like in the Albertan Rockies. :)
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

tunnelcat wrote:Oregonians tend to be freaky whenever the word "snow" comes out. The news stations in Portland practically fall all over themselves with predictions of doom and gloom whenever that word is uttered. The sudden high rate of stupid winter drivers that come out is a pretty good indication too. Then when the state legislature starts calling for the banning of studded tires to save our roads from premature wear, they cry; "Whine, whine, oh what will I do, I need to get around. There's too many hills and mountains"! That's why I call Oregonians wussies in the snow.

However, when in comes to rain, we're MACHO KINGS! We bask in it's glory! We can slog through that all winter with nary a gripe. Everyone else pales, balks, gets depressed and whines when they have to live here during the long, dreary gray winters of Oregon and Washington.
I'll trade you winters in a heartbeat.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

tunnelcat wrote:Everyone else pales, balks, gets depressed and whines when they have to live here during the long, dreary gray winters of Oregon and Washington.
I lived in Seattle for 8 and a half years and never thought much of the rain. It's weaksauce.

But it was always hilarious when a quarter inch of snow fell and everyone screamed about "snowpocalypse". And there wasn't even enough to shovel.

Now that I'm in Utah, the first snowstorm, I skipped lunch just so I could shovel snow. I missed my snow so much...
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

Recently I've been doing night calving and it's been sideways snowstorms and -20F to -30F for my 12-14 hour days.

I still love these mountains though. Nothing like being a resident in mile-high mountain desert Montana. Carmex and long-johns!
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Avder wrote:I'll trade you winters in a heartbeat.
Nope. I did my stint in Colorado, and between the frigid winters and summer thunderstorms, I think I'm happy right where I am now. Oregon is in a true banana belt. I don't know how mid-westerners put up with the continental climate. :wink: