3ds max - Bones won't animate in Auto/Set Key Mode

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

3ds max - Bones won't animate in Auto/Set Key Mode

Post by Dakatsu »

I'm having a random problem where I cannot animate my bones for my model any more. I can move them out of the animation modes, but once I enter them they won't move. I'm using the correct tool, nothing is frozen/locked, and it "registers" that I'm moving it, but it doesn't appear to move nor creates a key...
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re: 3ds max - Bones won't animate in Auto/Set Key Mode

Post by Isaac »

A few random possible solutions:

1. It's been a few years, but I think there's a bones icon to the top bar, which can be switched off. It might be related to IK. If memory serves, it should look like bones linking in the icon.

2. Check pivot mode. Some objects, like bones, can set their own unique pivots, which causes an array of problems and change change depending for a variety of reasons.

3. Though I'm sure it's the first place you checked, I have to say, check your axis modes.

I have not touched 3dsmax in years, but I figured I share what little I remember about this issue. Sorry if it's no help.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

I don't see a 'bones' icon, otherwise I tried the other ideas, to no avail. Thanks anyway :(

The odd thing is that I can move the objects when not in animation mode, but when I enter animation mode, either Auto Key or Set Key, nothing will move, but the little "widget" thing registers that I'm rotating, translating, or whatever, but no change actually occurs :|
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I forget what this does:
Enable it and see if that fixes anything.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Isaac wrote:I forget what this does:
Enable it and see if that fixes anything.
Sadly it doesn't :cry:

If it's any help, before doing this I opened/played with the curve editor for the first time.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I don't think I can help. :(
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Also, to anyone else reading this, it's only happening to a set of bones. If I create new bones, or merge this scene with another, the new bones work fine. It has to be a property with the bones themselves...
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I've never worked with 3ds max, but my experience with Solidworks is that once you reach a certain "complexity threshold" things begin to randomly act weirdly. The solution is generally to delete a few of the existing relations between objects, and re-create them identically. It's like the relations get a bit corrupted, and then it gets confused.

I would hope the 3ds max was better than that, but deleting and re-creating a few things might be worth a try.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

snoopy wrote:I would hope the 3ds max was better than that, but deleting and re-creating a few things might be worth a try.
But save a copy of the file. In the old days I would have asked you to send it to me for me to see what the problem was. Now I can't do that, but there are 3dsmax forums where someone else can.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

snoopy wrote:I've never worked with 3ds max, but my experience with Solidworks is that once you reach a certain "complexity threshold" things begin to randomly act weirdly. The solution is generally to delete a few of the existing relations between objects, and re-create them identically. It's like the relations get a bit corrupted, and then it gets confused.

I would hope the 3ds max was better than that, but deleting and re-creating a few things might be worth a try.
That didn't work for me :cry:

I just used an older version of the file, and took the time then to correct some inherent problems in it. I hope I don't get that problem again, but I'm backing up my stuff in any case. :E