Deakin's Universal Motion Simulator

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Deakin's Universal Motion Simulator

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Descent with this bad boy would be wild!

Prepare for DESCENT!
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Deakin's Universal Motion Simulator

Post by Tunnelcat »

Wow! That thing is cool. But it really looks like it would induce motion sickness. Horf!

However, I can also see an amusement park building a realistic flight simulator ride out of the thing. I'd even pay to give it a whirl. :shock:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
sdfgeoff
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sdfgeoff »

Um, and when you're invulnerable and get hit by, say, a mega and go flying backwards???
Ouch! The G-forces would be huge. I'm surprised that the material defender doesn't black out ever....
Eh?
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I haven't got motion sickness since I started playing Descent. I think I'm immune.
Maybe I'm immune to rabies too!
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Alter-Fox wrote:I haven't got motion sickness since I started playing Descent. I think I'm immune.
Maybe I'm immune to rabies too!
Stand behind someone else and watch them play Descent from over their shoulder. I never got motion sickness from playing it myself, but I couldn't watch long demos or stand behind and watch anyone else playing for more than a few minutes otherwise I'd get sick. :P
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I watch my brother play all the time. He's at least as good as I am which means his flight is at least as dizzying as mine (we have some challenging LAN games, but that's not the point here :P).
I don't get motion sickness from that either.
But do I get rabies from it?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Krom wrote:Stand behind someone else and watch them play Descent from over their shoulder. I never got motion sickness from playing it myself, but I couldn't watch long demos or stand behind and watch anyone else playing for more than a few minutes otherwise I'd get sick. :P
Oh yeah, definitely. I think that's the main reason why even watching video footage of a roller coaster makes me feel queasy: I'm not the one controlling the motion. Yet I can pull off all sorts of crazy stunts in Descent and never feel a thing.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I don't think I could ever go on a rollercoaster. Not because of motion sickness, because I'm extremely prone to acrophobia and vertigo as long as my surroundings look real! In TrackMania I can get acrophobia and vertigo, but only in the Stadium environment. The others are too surreal even if the track is way up high. In Descent I can't get vertigo because it's not real-looking. I also don't get vertigo or acrophobia when I'm flying (on a plane or in Descent :P).
Also a roller coaster might give me rabies!
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Top Gun wrote:
Krom wrote:Stand behind someone else and watch them play Descent from over their shoulder. I never got motion sickness from playing it myself, but I couldn't watch long demos or stand behind and watch anyone else playing for more than a few minutes otherwise I'd get sick. :P
Oh yeah, definitely. I think that's the main reason why even watching video footage of a roller coaster makes me feel queasy: I'm not the one controlling the motion. Yet I can pull off all sorts of crazy stunts in Descent and never feel a thing.
The only time I got sick from watching something was when I visited the Circle-Vision 360 Theater at Disneyland in the 1960's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle-Vision_360%C2%B0

The visitor had to stand inside this theater with only a rail to lean on and the 9 movie screens went 360 degrees around the whole room in a circle, giving the viewer a head-turning vista of whatever had been filmed. Well, the time I went in, one of the segments they showed was from the perspective of a car driving down Lombard Street in San Francisco. Hooo weeee! THAT trip was a queasefest and made it almost impossible to stand it was so disorienting! I see why they made people stand, to "enhance" the experience. Urrrk! :mrgreen:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I wonder how it could fake the feeling of a noes dive. Maybe it's smart enough to face you towards the center of the room and spin, letting the centrifugal force pull you to the back of your chair? Or would it just point your downward, stopping when it couldn't go down any further.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
sdfgeoff
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sdfgeoff »

But you might feel the rotation to get you to face outwards.
Eh?