I want a disney character fighting game

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

I want a disney character fighting game

Post by Isaac »

Disclaimer: If you only know street fighter, mortal kombat, and a few of the other "big name" fighting games, you probably don't like fighting games. Close this thread. You can't imagine a good fighting game, because you've never seen one. thanks.

So Pinocchio, Bell (from beauty and the beast), the Sea King, Ariel (with father's trident), Pongo (101 dalmatians), The Beast (from beauty and the beast), that candle guy (from beauty and the beast), Aries (from Hercules), and the rug (from aladin) would make great fighting characters. Anyone else ever think of this?
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re: I want a disney character fighting game

Post by Alter-Fox »

I think 'Issac's crazy' a lot, does that count?
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

What's crazy about this? I'm surprised we don't have ten fighting games based on Disney characters.

Imagine Pinocchio, being able to use "wood style" powers, growing spikes and wrapping enemies. Morphing and changing, like Spawn.

Madness?
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Well for one thing aren't there already several fighting games with disney characters?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

A fighting game, to you (and most people), would be two characters on a screen that hit each other until the opponent is out of health.

To people like me, it's a chess-like strategy game between two extremely different types of characters that requires extremely fast decision making.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

A fighting game to me isn't anything because I don't play them and so I don't see that it's my place to judge what it is or isn't.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Just take one of the Mario fighting games, and substitute the mushroom kingdom characters with Disney characters and give them abilities similar to their movie roles .

It would sell to a few kids, that's about it. Sell it to gaming console makers. That's the only market.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Isaac wrote:Disclaimer: If you only know street fighter, mortal kombat, and a few of the other "big name" fighting games, you probably don't like fighting games. Close this thread. You can't imagine a good fighting game, because you've never seen one. thanks.
Um...considering the Street Fighter series contained the very pinnacles of fighting games, and Mortal Kombat was very highly-regarded in the past too, I have no idea what you're talking about here.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Disney doesn't want that for their characters.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

fliptw wrote:Disney doesn't want that for their characters.
QFT. I think, Isaac, that's what you'd run into, were you to go down that road.

The thing I keep running into when I run your idea through the old processor is... WHY?! I mean it's almost a cool idea at the outset--some Disney characters could conceivably be made into good fighters with a little imagination and embellishment, but why would you even want to do that with Disney? It's just too far-fetched for my taste. You've got to really be reaching for characters in your fighting game to resort to Disney, IMO. There are so many other directions you could much more naturally--Transformers; Hollywood Action Stars from the 80s, 90s, ...; X-Men from the movie on a modern 3D graphics engine, ... I'm afraid the Disney choice is ridiculous enough that it either has to be a lack of good judgment, or more likely an infatuation with Disney characters that maturing has so far failed to shake. :P <3

All time favorite fighter game so far is still Killer Instinct (SNES). I actually haven't played anything more modern than SNES in the fighter genre. Most seem too... Japanese. I'm not a fan of continuous streams of ridiculously overblown power moves. :P
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Alter-Fox wrote:A fighting game to me isn't anything because I don't play them and so I don't see that it's my place to judge what it is or isn't.
I laughed so hard when I read this. This is such an Alter-Fox response. I love it.

I would have said, "those games? meh"
Top Gun wrote:Um...considering the Street Fighter series contained the very pinnacles of fighting games, and Mortal Kombat was very highly-regarded in the past too, I have no idea what you're talking about here.
They've got speed caps. They're focused around "super-moves", meaning your regular punches and kicks aren't really as important as knowing how to shoot fireballs. Their characters speed and power don't deviate very much, so you almost are playing the same character, no matter which one you pick. But I did play the heck of these in the 90s. These days, the new versions aren't cutting it.
fliptw wrote:Disney doesn't want that for their characters.
He's dead. It's a mindless organization that only cares about money. Look at what they're making these days... On second thought, they'd probably wouldn't have the knowledge on making a decent fighter; they'd screw it up, somehow.
Sergeant Thorne wrote:I think, Isaac, that's what you'd run into, were you to go down that road.
I'm not. I'd be making a FOSS 6 deg of freedom shooter before I make a fighter.
Sergeant Thorne wrote:The thing I keep running into when I run your idea through the old processor is... WHY?!
I've imagined the animations for the 2d characters. And I like 2d fighters better than 3d fighters. It would look good and be still in 2d.

Stargate SG1 would also make a great fighting game, but with 3d characters playing on a single 2d fight plane, in a 3d environment.
Sergeant Thorne wrote:I mean it's almost a cool idea at the outset--some Disney characters could conceivably be made into good fighters with a little imagination and embellishment, but why would you even want to do that with Disney? It's just too far-fetched for my taste.
It would have to be crazy for it to really work, anyway. If player 1 or 2 would pick one of The Little Mermaid characters, they would use a Triton to grow legs, to better fight on land, or summon knee high water to keep the opponent from dashing. Their killing move would growing into a giant, as in the move, and stabbing down on the opponent.

Sergeant Thorne wrote:You've got to really be reaching for characters in your fighting game to resort to Disney, IMO. There are so many other directions you could much more naturally--Transformers; Hollywood Action Stars from the 80s, 90s, ...;
Yes please :) I'll take all the above. I want one where I can choose Dr. House vs the Cowardly Lion.

Sergeant Thorne wrote: I'm afraid the Disney choice is ridiculous enough that it either has to be a lack of good judgment, or more likely an infatuation with Disney characters that maturing has so far failed to shake. :P <3
I've always liked Disney characters, though, I can't remember when or which was the last one I saw. There's just a great level of compatibility between all the characters, because they're mostly drawn the same way, with the exception of the later ones, where they went with the "modern" look. Many of these character fight in the movies anyway. If they made it as crazy and as fast (character speed) as I'd like, then I would buy it. It could be cooler than Street Fighter, but too violent for kids under 13.
Sergeant Thorne wrote:All time favorite fighter game so far is still Killer Instinct (SNES). I actually haven't played anything more modern than SNES in the fighter genre. Most seem too... Japanese. I'm not a fan of continuous streams of ridiculously overblown power moves. :P
Try one of the Guilty Gear XX games out. They're nice and fast, which lets you be more creative with how you use the characters, to some degree.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Isaac wrote: It would have to be crazy for it to really work, anyway...
Ok mister "what did you mean when you said I was crazy".
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

The idea is perfectly sane and good.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

The closest thing you will get to a Disney fighting game is M.U.G.E.N.

[youtube]WoaQnnbzyAU[/youtube]
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

That's pretty cool.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

You should see some of the crazy ideas people have come up for M.U.G.E.N.