New Startrek movie trailer

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

New Startrek movie trailer

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

It is entitled: Startrek - Into Darkness
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re: New Startrek movie trailer

Post by Isaac »

OMG! So many awesome movies coming out. I will not die for the next two years, even if struck by a hundred phasers.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

incredibly crappy trailer
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

As trailers go, I'd rate it as "as usual". Did you mean that you think it's a crappy movie ?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

CUDA wrote:Image
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Don't these look a little similar? Are the story lines for all the new movies now getting recycled? :P

Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Gene Roddenberry is turning over in his grave somewhere from seeing what Hollywood has done to Star Trek.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

No kidding. :|
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Even though (As for Startrek movies go) I like Startrek 2, I do like the 2009 Startrek movie (so call it my Guilty Pleasure :P)

I did see several startrek shows and movies (I don't like the odd numbered movies, the even numbered ones are better) as a kid back in the early to late 90s and heck, even early 2000s.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I must be looking at it a little differently.
I think it's great that something this old is still relevant to my generation. Especially when it's sci-fi. I enjoyed the 2009 prequel a lot, and I'm looking forward to seeing this one. I'd say Star Trek has done a lot better for itself than most classic sci-fi that gets adapted into a modern form. Especially compared to the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

And I love the way Youtube puts ads on trailers. Because the only real difference between the ads and the trailers is that you want to watch the trailers. It's still putting an advertisement in front of another advertisement. The irony is delicious. It tastes like a paradox, but it's a little more metallic and meaty. Brings carnivores to mind where paradoxes are a little more like vegetables and herbivores.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Krom wrote:Gene Roddenberry is turning over in his grave somewhere from seeing what Hollywood has done to Star Trek.
You're mentioning all the previous startrek movies that came out, before these last two, I assume.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Alter-Fox wrote:I must be looking at it a little differently.
I think it's great that something this old is still relevant to my generation. Especially when it's sci-fi. I enjoyed the 2009 prequel a lot, and I'm looking forward to seeing this one. I'd say Star Trek has done a lot better for itself than most classic sci-fi that gets adapted into a modern form. Especially compared to the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

And I love the way Youtube puts ads on trailers. Because the only real difference between the ads and the trailers is that you want to watch the trailers. It's still putting an advertisement in front of another advertisement. The irony is delicious. It tastes like a paradox, but it's a little more metallic and meaty. Brings carnivores to mind where paradoxes are a little more like vegetables and herbivores.
2009 was not a prequel. It was a reboot, complete with explanation of how it has literally branched off from the main Trek timeline we know from the TV shows.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

I think Alter' should do alot of research on the original Startrek series and movies. :P
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Enterprise crashes into a body of water: I question the sexuality of the poster who hasn't committed themselves to see this film.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

I don't think that was the enterprise crashing, when you pause the frame, the pylon and nacelle design don't match with the enterprise.
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Now I want to see it more. Thanks
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

So a darker grittier Startrek. Whats there not to love?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Exactly! Thanks for not being an adult.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Grendel wrote:As trailers go, I'd rate it as "as usual". Did you mean that you think it's a crappy movie ?
not at all. I loved the whole Star Trek reboot. I think the trailer gave NO idea about a storyline. I have No idea about whats happening. all I know is there's a bad guy bent on the worlds destruction. hell that could be one of a thousand movies made recently. it just showed people running around shooting up and dying. BFD. it said and showed nothing.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

Isaac wrote:Exactly! Thanks for not being an adult.
Ya, well sorry if us "ADULTS" like something that actually stimulates a thought process when we watch a Movie. tell me. if that Trailer didn't have the Star Trek name attached to it would you even consider going to watch it??

― Theodore Roosevelt
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

You mean if there was a sci-fi movie with people shooting each other and crashing star ships into the Chesapeake Bay? I believe my answer would remain, "★■◆● yeah".
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

whats the movie about???

for all you know it could be Little women in the 23rd century. and the only reason they crashed was because historically women are sucky drivers

― Theodore Roosevelt
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

You only prove my point; how could you not watch that?
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

So, you mean you would rather watch the new movies where they actually go on an adventure and do something significant as apposed to watching a film that spends the majority of the time revolving around a bunch of people with bright colored uniforms and bad haircuts drinking romulan ale and complaining about their love lives, space politics, and the nasty headache from said ale at a bar on a space station with a guy with over-sized ears, shallow eyes, and bad teeth. :P

I will say, I am an old school ST fan. I loved the original series, and the even numbered movies like most others. However, I will also admit that some of them were a tid bit boring when they focused more on politics and love lives. I was never as much into the Next Generation, Deep Space 9, Enterprise, or Voyager shows. NG was okay and I liked SOME episodes and the movies were pretty good.

As far as it being a reboot or a prequel... both of you are wrong and right at the same time. It is a prequel in an alternate universe/timeline. JJ Abrams is a very good director/writer and basically made the decision that if they simply rebooted the series, there would be no new story to follow and everyone would be expecting certain events to happen. Rather, he decided to pay tribute to the old series by saying that those events DID happen while at the same time, keeping the series open for stories that would be fresh and new. Remember how he destroyed Vulcan? Also note, he does tend to kill off his characters in most shows that he has directed, so consider no one safe. :)

Remember, it is a trailer and JJ Abrams also likes to keep his projects under lock and key. He has put a LOT of extra time into this one because he wanted to make a movie that is great. I'm sure he has something special in store for us and he just doesn't want to give it away yet.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

[]V[]essenjah is being mature and reasonable on the net... ban him
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Yea he even killed off the whole Star Fleet Department of Temporal Investigations that was brought about to stop just that from happening.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Some of the best TNG episodes, or rather some of the best Star Trek episodes ever, had zero action. Star Trek isn't without its share of action scenes, but it really shines its best when the action is heavily moderated by good characters acting out a proper story, 2009 had the characters but not the story.

I think my biggest gripe about 2009 was the villain: Super ultra BORING villain guy hiding in the shadows of his spiny evil looking ship, it was just trying too hard.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

The one thing I didn't like about the 2009 movie, was that you had to read the comicbook prequels to understand why Nero was the way he was and how his ship got equipped with borg-enhanced weaponry. From what I understand, they're doing the same thing with this new movie too.
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

OMg... They didn't make the move exactly the way I wanted. babycry.mp3
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

Supposedly the rumor is this new villain is Kahn
IF that the case then a mention of that would have saved the trailer and probably guaranteed a movie. As it stands now that trailer is a POS :P

― Theodore Roosevelt
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Trailer is awesome /thread
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

CUDA wrote:
Grendel wrote:As trailers go, I'd rate it as "as usual". Did you mean that you think it's a crappy movie ?
not at all. I loved the whole Star Trek reboot. I think the trailer gave NO idea about a storyline. I have No idea about whats happening. all I know is there's a bad guy bent on the worlds destruction. hell that could be one of a thousand movies made recently. it just showed people running around shooting up and dying. BFD. it said and showed nothing.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. But -- it's supposed not to give away anything; It's a teaser, not a trailer ;)
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Krom wrote:

I think my biggest gripe about 2009 was the villain: Super ultra BORING villain guy hiding in the shadows of his spiny evil looking ship, it was just trying too hard.
Where is Q when you need him.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I would love to see Q. Sadly I think they wouldn't bring him into a movie
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

CDN_Merlin wrote:I would love to see Q. Sadly I think they wouldn't bring him into a movie
If they do a Q movie, it has to have Picard in it.

Hell, you could get rid of the whole rest of the Star Trek TNG supporting cast and do a couple good movies with just Picard and Q.

I'd pay full price at a theater on opening night to see a Picard and Q movie, and I am cheap as hell when it comes to movies these days.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Q rules! Best Picard foil/ villain.....ever!
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

9 minutes of the new movie will be played at the opening of The Hobbit in IMAX.

http://www.tgdaily.com/entertainment/67 ... s-screened
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I agree that action doesn't always make a movie great. For example, "The Dark Knight" really wasn't as great for it's action as it was for it's psychological effect on the audience. The problem I have, however, is when it comes down to a lot of scenes that really don't move a story along. We really don't know about how much action is actually in this film, it is just a flashy trailer that is attempting to be more eye-catching than it is informative. A lot of trailers try to convey the entire story, JJ Abrams is one of those directors that doesn't like to tell the story by using a trailer but rather hints at things.

In 2009 Star Trek, the villain was forgettable for a reason. JJ Abrams said himself, that the focus wasn't really on Nero, it was more on crew of the enterprise and was more about bringing them all back. Nero was just a story-telling device really.

As for borg technology being a part of Nero's ship. I actually never even knew that... nor do I really care. It's an interesting side-note but really not that important to the story itself. I certainly never felt lost during 2009 ST.

From what I'm seeing here, I believe that this film is supposed to stand as the new-generation "Wrath Of Khan" film. There are a LOT of references to that film seen in the trailer, the extended trailer, and even the 2009 ST film. Note the worms in the 2009 film. Note the way the villain talks in the new trailer, and in the extended trailer shown in Japan, it shows Kirk, holding his hand up to a glass window, with apparently a vulcan hand pressed against it on the other side, directly mimicking Spock's death in "The Wrath Of Kahn."

As for the villain being Khan... I don't really think so honestly. However, I think they are going for something similar in nature and for a very villain-focused sequel this time around.

It could be a good thing or a bad thing.

For example, Mission Impossible 3 was directed by JJ Abrams and I loved it. It was actually my favorite of all the MI movies and the most story-driven in my opinion. It was much more of a psychological thriller than just another action movie. MI4, also directed by JJ Abrams however, I didn't like as much because it had too much action for my personal taste.

So it could really go in either direction, but I'm excited either way.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Did any of you notice that the bad guy has a star fleet emblem on his shirt?
Attachments
Star Trek.jpg
Star Trek.jpg (128.75 KiB) Viewed 2504 times
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

It's not really star trek because in real star trek the captain, whomever he happens to be, always talks his way out of trouble, logical arguments to make the "superior force" submit to the "weaker force" because of "logical reasoning." :P