Sadly

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Sadly

Post by woodchip »

The Boston Marathon is the focus of a terrorist attack. Keep the injured and the dead in your prayers.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Sadly

Post by Krom »

This wasn't pleasant news to find when browsing around the net this afternoon.

On this subject, if the FBI, CIA and everyone else in the government is constantly breaking our wiretapping and privacy laws in their massive domestic spying campaigns, it would at least be nice if we actually got some results from their flagrant disregard for the constitution and founding principals in the form of actually preventing incidents like this. Of course I know preventing all incidents like these is impossible and all the domestic spying in the universe couldn't change that, but it would be nice if some of the people in charge would also realize that too.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Krom wrote:This wasn't pleasant news to find when browsing around the net this afternoon.

On this subject, if the FBI, CIA and everyone else in the government is constantly breaking our wiretapping and privacy laws in their massive domestic spying campaigns, it would at least be nice if we actually got some results from their flagrant disregard for the constitution and founding principals in the form of actually preventing incidents like this. Of course I know preventing all incidents like these is impossible and all the domestic spying in the universe couldn't change that, but it would be nice if some of the people in charge would also realize that too.
Maybe if they would approve those laws with a built in sunset clause of one or two years at which time they would have to show the invasion of privacy actually led to something positive in the prevention or apprehension department or else the law is left dead after the sunset.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Honestly, Krom, I think preventing stuff like this is a lot more doable than we might think looking at this from a perspective of inexperience with regard to such attacks. The FBI have a lot of experience and expertise under their belts. If this kind of thing isn't a false-flag, and it slips through, it could only be because of a misappropriation or lack of resources, IMO. Anyone here might think a bomb "could be anywhere". The truth is a bomb has to be in a place where it can take out multiple targets in a busy area without being interfered with by surrounding structures, if it is to serve its intended purpose.

On the other hand if they would just implement my "see something shoot something" initiative...
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I was watching this on TV. Damn grisly scene. Looked like something of out of Iraq. Those people didn't deserve this hell either. I also heard that someone was chased down right after the first explosion. I hope they caught one of the bastards.

But what really scares me about this is the knee-jerk reactions by the government and police that will inevitability occur. A certain type of fear psychosis always takes over after something this tragic and deadly, and people in authority will use this incident for obtaining more power over us. We've had the spying and violations of our privacy Krom commented on escalate ever since 9/11, so will this event be used to further erode what privacy, or freedoms, we have left? Are we going to be our own worst enemy?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

according to the security-geek folks I count amongst friends, these were really low-end, low budget explosives in those bombs. Apparently, a short-term, immediate shutdown of local cell service prevented a couple more detonations. Odd choice, Boston on Patriot's Day....my condolances to the victims of these attacks, I would imagine that the wounds were nasty(and of course 3 or more deaths).
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Sad day. I will never understand the need to hurt others. :cry:
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Sad day. I will never understand the need to hurt others. :cry:
I do.
It's called sin
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Well since they have a Saudi National as the suspect I'd say it's called Jihad
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Cuda, it really makes no different what it's called. I just never understand the point of hurting others. Why can't we all just get along? (no answer required)
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woodchip wrote:Well since they have a Saudi National as the suspect I'd say it's called Jihad
Don't think it can be a local white militia? Old IRA cronies?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

tunnelcat wrote:
woodchip wrote:Well since they have a Saudi National as the suspect I'd say it's called Jihad
Don't think it can be a local white militia? Old IRA cronies?
A saudi national is under guard at the hospital. I suggest you read the news a little closer before making knee jerk responses.
ThugsRook
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ThugsRook »

^ read the news? thats funny.

most likely just a false flag event.

be scared, be very scared :roll:
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:according to the security-geek folks I count amongst friends, these were really low-end, low budget explosives in those bombs. Apparently, a short-term, immediate shutdown of local cell service prevented a couple more detonations. Odd choice, Boston on Patriot's Day....my condolances to the victims of these attacks, I would imagine that the wounds were nasty(and of course 3 or more deaths).
A security talking head was going on about low blast pressure and how amateurish the act was. I couldn't help but think the real amateurs were the security personnel who allowed trash containers on the sidewalk. The act of terrorism succeeded and thus one has to consider it far from a amateurish act.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

ThugsRook wrote:^ read the news? thats funny.

That has to be as moronic reply as I've read yet.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

I think the only thing we can believe right now is that there were explosions and casualties. The rest is a bunch of jackals trying to cash in in one fashion or another.
ThugsRook
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ThugsRook »

woodchip wrote:

thats because you actually believe what the news says.
they are prolly still trying to come up with a narrative (lie) that fits their agenda.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

CUDA wrote:
CDN_Merlin wrote:Sad day. I will never understand the need to hurt others. :cry:
I do.
It's called sin
Exactly. And it isn't necessary to be seven spans in a forehead to guess who takes this sin on soul. I am sure that the reason of 90% of incidents with use of explosives is the order of the high-ranking politicians who sacrifice lives of peace citizens for the purpose of extraction of a political or economic benefit for itself. All the terrorists in the world are working on politicians. The remained 9% of such cases, in my opinion, occur because of mafia dismantlings and corruption in police. And only 1% can write off for unforeseen accident.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

ThugsRook wrote:
woodchip wrote:

thats because you actually believe what the news says.
they are prolly still trying to come up with a narrative (lie) that fits their agenda.
Reporting that the police stated they have a Saudi National as a suspect is far more believable than Chris Matthews speculating it was some right wing hate group (like TC sucks up to :P )
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

having a 'suspect' solves a case in Woody-world? Wow! :roll:
I wouldn't be ruling out domestic terror, given the number of wingnuts threatening a 'new American Revolution', and that the locale was Boston on Patriots' Day.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:
callmeslick wrote:according to the security-geek folks I count amongst friends, these were really low-end, low budget explosives in those bombs. Apparently, a short-term, immediate shutdown of local cell service prevented a couple more detonations. Odd choice, Boston on Patriot's Day....my condolances to the victims of these attacks, I would imagine that the wounds were nasty(and of course 3 or more deaths).
A security talking head was going on about low blast pressure and how amateurish the act was. I couldn't help but think the real amateurs were the security personnel who allowed trash containers on the sidewalk. The act of terrorism succeeded and thus one has to consider it far from a amateurish act.
the trash cans and rest of the Marathon route are checked hourly by a mass of security personnel. God, you're quick to judge. First you claim holding a suspect as proof of the nature of the crime, now you toss out this gem. Any kudos to the folks who shut down phone communication within a minute to keep more people from being hurt? Sheesh.
George Orwell---"1984"
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

callmeslick wrote:Any kudos to the folks who shut down phone communication within a minute to keep more people from being hurt?
Nope, that turns out to have been a viral myth:
Five myths already cropping up

Reports flew around social media, mainly Twitter, on Monday that police in Boston had shut down cellular networks to prevent an attacker from using a cell phone to detonate another explosive. At least one media report quoted an unnamed source with information to that effect, before later recanting.

In truth, Boston's wireless network was simply overwhelmed with the volume of calls and other communications in the aftermath of the attack. Service was slow and spotty, but never shut down. Verizon and other mobile carriers confirmed they'd never been contacted by officials asking them to shut off service.

Soon after the bombings, mobile carriers were beefing up their networks in the Boston area. AT&T made its Wi-Fi system publicly available for free to help take the load off traditional phone lines.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:
I wouldn't be ruling out domestic terror, given the number of wingnuts threatening a 'new American Revolution', and that the locale was Boston on Patriots' Day.
Falling in lockstep with the Dem spin machine I see.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:

the trash cans and rest of the Marathon route are checked hourly by a mass of security personnel. God, you're quick to judge. First you claim holding a suspect as proof of the nature of the crime, now you toss out this gem. Any kudos to the folks who shut down phone communication within a minute to keep more people from being hurt? Sheesh.
Like I said, trash cans are a big no no where big events are concerned. Checking them hourly obviously failed... as such security failed the people viewing the run.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Here's an idea:

Instead of the speculation (Jihadist, false-flag operation, domestic terror, whatever else is being bandied about), how about letting the investigators do their job?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Foil wrote:Here's an idea:

Instead of the speculation (Jihadist, false-flag operation, domestic terror, whatever else is being bandied about), how about letting the investigators do their job?
Yep. Speculation is just speculation. But you'd think that there would be all sorts of security cam footage from the businesses right behind were the explosions went off, so why plead for people to give them their videos in lame, content free news conferences? The Boston Marathon is a huge event with a lot of people in large groups. I would have thought that security cameras would have been placed all over the place just to watch for suspicious activity during the event. There should have been a lot of TV cameras sniffing around too. Yet, somehow, someone was able to put explosive devices in a couple of trash cans without being noticed? Yeeeeesh!
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

According to leaked reports- the bombs were fashioned in a way very similar to other jihadi IED devices.

Of course there is no way of knowing for sure- and will probably be all speculation for days if not weeks to come.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

They were apparently made from pressure cookers and loaded with ball bearings and nails. Still doesn't point to Jihadists, yet. We'll see what they eventually come up with.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/16/ma ... y-experts/
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

tunnelcat wrote:They were apparently made from pressure cookers and loaded with ball bearings and nails. Still doesn't point to Jihadists, yet. We'll see what they eventually come up with.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/16/ma ... y-experts/
There are previous islamic attacks using pressure cookers and al Queda had called for attacks on sporting events:
In the May 1, 2010 attempted bombing in Times Square, a pressure cooker packed with fireworks was used as a primary charge, placed inside a gun locker in the bomber's vehicle, with the locker containing the main charge. The pressure cooker worked as intended, but the bomb did not go off.

The bomb was discovered when a street vendor alerted police after he noticed smoke coming from the parked SUV. Faisal Shahzad, who authorities said was backed by the Pakistani Taliban, was arrested for the bombing attempt and sentenced to life in prison after pleading guilty in court.

Bombs made with pressure cookers were also used in a series of attacks in Mumbai, India in 2006. In those attacks, seven pressure cookers with mixtures of RDX and ammonium nitrate were placed on trains, killing more than 200 people.
But you can still give equal credit to the right wing nutbag theory if you like. A liberal needs to have her fantasy...

So far I can't find any Pressure Cookers Manufacturers Lobby that has given disproportionately to the repubs so I think we won't be seeing a call to ban large cooking containers with militaristic looking handles that can hold more than a gallon. Even though no one really needs a pressure cooker to cook their supper...
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Ban pressure cookers, not guns :wink:
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I thought all of the evil right wingers would just use their big bad assault rifles.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Foil wrote:Here's an idea:

Amen. There were a hundred different rumors flying around yesterday and today, most of which quickly proved false, and continuing to spread them around doesn't do any good for anyone. The best thing to do right now is to keep the victims in our thoughts and prayers, and let the investigators get on with figuring out who did this.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Will Robinson wrote:Bombs made with pressure cookers were also used in a series of attacks in Mumbai, India in 2006. In those attacks, seven pressure cookers with mixtures of RDX and ammonium nitrate were placed on trains, killing more than 200 people.

But you can still give equal credit to the right wing nutbag theory if you like. A liberal needs to have her fantasy...

So far I can't find any Pressure Cookers Manufacturers Lobby that has given disproportionately to the repubs so I think we won't be seeing a call to ban large cooking containers with militaristic looking handles that can hold more than a gallon. Even though no one really needs a pressure cooker to cook their supper...
Does it matter? Whoever the scumbags are who did this deserve some punishment of the worst kind, whether local militias OR Jihadists. Hate is hate, murder is murder.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:
callmeslick wrote:
Falling in lockstep with the Dem spin machine I see.
geez-o-pete, does EVERYTHING have to have political spin with you? Geezus, a bunch of people got maimed, all I said was 'I wouldn't rule it out, and suggested that you were jumping to conclusions'. As Foil put it well, let the investigators do their job.
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:
callmeslick wrote:

Like I said, trash cans are a big no no where big events are concerned. Checking them hourly obviously failed... as such security failed the people viewing the run.
thanks for failing to understand the nature of the Boston Marathon, or the open,public nature of Patriot's Day festivities in New England. The crowd is a constantly moving throng, so removing 26 miles worth of trash cans on public roadways is ludicrous.
George Orwell---"1984"
ThugsRook
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ThugsRook »

tunnelcat wrote:Whoever did this deserve some punishment of the worst kind, whether local militias OR Jihadists.
those are our only 2 choices?

couldnt possibly be anything else, eh?

:roll:
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

HAH! I knew it. It didn't take more than a day for the 'blame dems' to happen.

someone owes me five bucks now.

I wonder what's next. Obama let this happen while he was on vacation/fell asleep at the switch/we need more security?

friggin' conspiracy nuts...
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Who was blaming the Dems?
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

woodchip wrote:Who was blaming the Dems?
Funny the way I read it was slick blaming the right.

Isn't that correct slick.that exactly what you did in the other forum. You blamed the right.
Moderate HA
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

woodchip wrote:Who was blaming the Dems?

really? seriously?
Woodchip wrote:Falling in lockstep with the Dem spin machine I see.
between this and your track record of blaming the dems for everything.. do you really think we're that stupid?