a good outcome for this guy....

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

a good outcome for this guy....

Post by callmeslick »

....and, one by one, folks will realize that the scare stories of the past four years were just that: stories.
http://articles.philly.com/2014-04-28/n ... ng-surgery
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: a good outcome for this guy....

Post by Spidey »

Better hope 10 healthy people are sighing up for every one of him.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

usually works that way, but even if it doesn't, he illustrates WHY the law was enacted, and the human benefit thereof.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

callmeslick wrote:usually works that way, but even if it doesn't, he illustrates WHY the law was enacted, and the human benefit thereof.
By what measurement can you say "it usually works that way" when this system is the first of its kind?

They had to mandate compliance with threat of IRS penalty to even hope to get enough low risk participants (read: enough funds to operate) and before they have been added to the pool Obama has had to delay implementing the mandate twice for political considerations....pushing that pool revenue further out into the unknown future. Meanwhile the people with nothing to lose by signing up, those who are higher risk and/or low income subsidized buyers (read:further drain on funding) ARE signing up, of course. People in the industry have looked at this and are wondering what the hell Obama is thinking because they know it isn't sustainable.

And to say 'even if it doesn't because the benefits to the needy' is all well and good IF you ignore the dire consequences of what those words mean! If it doesn't means if it is unsustainable the results are not good.

By the way, I'm in that guys situation in many ways. Not suffering any current illness or anything but self employed and not happy with the Obamacare situation. And hell yes I will take what I can get from it if I need to but the window for that opportunity is looking like it is shrinking not standing wide open indefinitely. It won't be long before they have to scrap it, and they are just trying to keep highlighting these temporary victories long enough to squeak by another election or two.

So don't get all high and mighty with your 'told you so'.

The system they have thrown together, and I use the term system loosely, is broken by design. The real 'but even if it doesn't' is more accurately described as 'when it doesn't we will use that excuse to force what we really want'.

Great representation, if you like your congressmen to be bait and switch car salesmen who get have a club to threaten you into buying.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Will Robinson wrote:
callmeslick wrote:usually works that way, but even if it doesn't, he illustrates WHY the law was enacted, and the human benefit thereof.
By what measurement can you say "it usually works that way" when this system is the first of its kind?
first, it is NOT the first of it's kind(remember Romneycare?). Second, I was referring to insurance pools. Still, it's always amusing to watch you dance as the reality still sinks in that the ACA is law, it works for a LOT of people, and isn't going to be some sort of electoral albatross(see this AMs polls).
George Orwell---"1984"
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

callmeslick wrote:
Will Robinson wrote:
first, it is NOT the first of it's kind(remember Romneycare?). Second, I was referring to insurance pools. Still, it's always amusing to watch you dance as the reality still sinks in that the ACA is law, it works for a LOT of people, and isn't going to be some sort of electoral albatross(see this AMs polls).
There are lots of differences between Romney care and Obamacare and most of them for the worse. Underwriters could simply move their money to other markets outside of Massachusetts to offset or avoid the impact for one thing. And all the regulation that makes up Obamacare is incredibly deeper than Romneycare...and the ACA bill is full of 'yet to be written' placeholders!
You are blind or hoping everyone else is.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:....and, one by one, folks will realize that the scare stories of the past four years were just that: stories.
Good golly, the Dems finally found someone who is happy with obamacare besides slick \o/. Shall I dredge up all those who are against and post their horror stories?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:
callmeslick wrote:....and, one by one, folks will realize that the scare stories of the past four years were just that: stories.
Good golly, the Dems finally found someone who is happy with obamacare besides slick \o/. Shall I dredge up all those who are against and post their horror stories?
why stop now? You've done so, I've debunked them all, but feel free to go wild. I can post FAR more success stories, as there is now a regular flood of same on the 'Net. I just liked this because the guy benefitted from the extension process, which the right derided. You see, woodie, this stuff means important things to real people....it isn't some sort of ideological football as the right has tried to make it. For some, it's a matter of life or death, even though you would have preferred this fellow not get that chance, right?
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:
woodchip wrote:
why stop now? You've done so, I've debunked them all, but feel free to go wild. I can post FAR more success stories, as there is now a regular flood of same on the 'Net. I just liked this because the guy benefitted from the extension process, which the right derided. You see, woodie, this stuff means important things to real people....it isn't some sort of ideological football as the right has tried to make it. For some, it's a matter of life or death, even though you would have preferred this fellow not get that chance, right?
You haven't debunked squat. All you did was parrot Harry Reid and how all the horror stories were lies.
Herculosis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Herculosis »

I for one have a bit of direct evidence. My company provides what we consider extremely good healthcare insurance coverage to our employees. Since the date that company group policies needed to come into compliance with ACA was kicked down the road (past the election), and since we were able to keep our existing plan unchanged, our new rate starting in June will ONLY be a 13% increase. Over the years, it's averaged around 10%. Still, on my little company, that's a $28K increase, and again, that's our old plan.

We were also offered a plan by the same company that WAS ACA compliant. The two plans weren't identical, but pretty close. Some gains, some losses, but overall, the ACA plan wasn't significantly different, and certainly not any better from our perspective.

The ACA-compliant plan was a 54.8% increase.

My guess is that once the can-kicking stops, you're going to start hearing very loud screaming as companies large and small across the country start realizing just how it's going to affect them. It's already extremely difficult to pay the 1/4 million we already pay. A 55% increase is downright scary.

Debunk away.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

As the can gets kicked, business make adjustments, the free market kicks into action, and over time, the dust settles leaving people basically where they are today except with health coverage they didn't have before. What's the matter? Don't have faith in the free market? The ACA is the ultimate test of the free market. It is a corporation-cenrtic behemoth.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

vision wrote:As the can gets kicked, business make adjustments, the free market kicks into action, and over time, the dust settles leaving people basically where they are today except with health coverage they didn't have before. What's the matter? Don't have faith in the free market? The ACA is the ultimate test of the free market. It is a corporation-cenrtic behemoth.

When the government gets into the free market it isn't free anymore.

And the government tends to do bad things under the guise of helping. Like launder money through those businesses in the form of subsidies to favorites in return for campaign donations like Solyndra and also the industries give donations in exchange for legislation relief from the governments mandates and regulation.

The government isn't afraid to jump in and make bad business decisions either. Decisions that can cost us billions

Those are not free market forces. They are all extraneous factors to the 'free market' environment that always increase someone's debt or decrease some ones wealth. 'Government' has no debt, it merely creates it and then puts it on some
citizens tab.

Ultimately all those 'adjustments' that businesses make to survive the governments involvement result in business passing the cost on to the consumer.
I do it all the time as do all businesses I buy fromEPA demands I comply with some regulation I calculate the cost of compliance and increase my prices accordingly.
Refrigerant is a monthly adjustment for us, sometimes bi-weekly.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

8000 rules from on high…yup that’s the free market all right.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Name any business that is completely free and is not subject to federal laws. Your "free market" is an illusion. Every last bit of it is just different degrees of regulation.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Not having any government involvement doesn't make a market free either.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Fair point, there is always some government factor and lack of government doesn't make a market free.

However, in the context where vision suggested the free market kicks in and makes 'corrections' those corrections, when adjusting for the extremely heavy hand of the ACA....and the unknown factor of the way the ACA is written with pages of yet-to-be-filled-in regulation.....and a president who will wave his scepter and declare sections to be suspended arbitrarily.
Well those adjustments the not-so-free market kicks in with are going to kick some consumers in the ass.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Requiring someone to purchase a service provided by private industry is not a “regulation” unless you want to argue semantics until the cows come home.

Regulation and control are two different things.

Of course the question is where you draw the line...a collectivist will draw it in one place and I would draw it somewhere else.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Herculosis wrote:I for one have a bit of direct evidence.
...We were also offered a plan by the same company that WAS ACA compliant.
...The ACA-compliant plan was a 54.8% increase.
I have a bit of direct evidence, as well.

In my case, I went from a FTE position to being a contractor, and went to an ACA plan (see my thread about the experience).

When all was said and done, the ACA plan was roughly a 40% decrease from the cost of my previous employer's plan.

[To update: The bugs on the Colorado exchange site were nothing compared to my experience with the policy carrier, Anthem BCBS. They got everything from the exchange in December, but it literally took them until yesterday to straighten out our issues with premium payments, and they're still catching up on claims from earlier this year.]

-------------

There are millions of stories about the ACA out there; many good, many really bad. Taking only a few examples (e.g. Herculosis', mine, or the article's) is just poor research.