any surprise here?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

any surprise here?

Post by callmeslick »

....turns out that the concept that deregulation leads to economic growth was 'just made up', according to one of those around the GOP when it came up with the notion:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/3 ... 66949.html
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: any surprise here?

Post by Tunnelcat »

Just like Mitch McConnell and the Republicans taking credit for the now "good" economy, an economy that struggled to come back because Republicans constantly put up roadblocks for the last 7 years, all so that Obama wouldn't get any credit for it until Republicans finally took both Houses. So think Mitch Magoo will take credit for the stock market now tanking because of those super low oil prices? Think he'll take credit for the stagnant wages that didn't rise with this "good" economy either? :P

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opin ... story.html
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

fair points, but don't worry about the stock market tanking. At an 18,000 Dow it was clearly overheated, overpriced and overdue for more correction than we've seen. I've been shocked how it hasn't just settled back to the high 16K level and resumed steady growth from there. Thus, going to 17.3K for one day or two isn't exactly tanking. Tanking is dropping to 14 or less in a week or so. I don't see that. Low oil is bad for some sectors but GREAT for others.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

You mean that they pulled a Gruber????? Never seen a political party do something like that before WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

callmeslick wrote:fair points, but don't worry about the stock market tanking. At an 18,000 Dow it was clearly overheated, overpriced and overdue for more correction than we've seen. I've been shocked how it hasn't just settled back to the high 16K level and resumed steady growth from there. Thus, going to 17.3K for one day or two isn't exactly tanking. Tanking is dropping to 14 or less in a week or so. I don't see that. Low oil is bad for some sectors but GREAT for others.
Hmmm, aren't you the same callmeslick who warned everyone to sell their stock portfolio on the eve of the repub win a month ago stating the market was going to drop drastically?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

No, I think I said that, but I added that the poop wouldn't hit the fan UNTIL we also elected a Republican president in 2016. THEN we'll have the exact same political setup we had right before the Great Depression. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Will Robinson wrote:
callmeslick wrote:fair points, but don't worry about the stock market tanking. At an 18,000 Dow it was clearly overheated, overpriced and overdue for more correction than we've seen. I've been shocked how it hasn't just settled back to the high 16K level and resumed steady growth from there. Thus, going to 17.3K for one day or two isn't exactly tanking. Tanking is dropping to 14 or less in a week or so. I don't see that. Low oil is bad for some sectors but GREAT for others.
Hmmm, aren't you the same callmeslick who warned everyone to sell their stock portfolio on the eve of the repub win a month ago stating the market was going to drop drastically?
well, I said sell back, not sell the whole damned portfolio. And, as I said above, I am rather surprised that the fallback wasn't steeper than the 5% or so we saw.
George Orwell---"1984"