Don't believe your lying EYES!

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Don't believe your lying EYES!

Post by Nightshade »

NBC News reporter Ayman Mohyeldin was corrected on-air yesterday after a live report that implied a Palestinian terrorist who charged at officers brandishing a knife didn’t have a weapon on him.

[youtube]aS5zzS_EI3c[/youtube]
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: Don't believe your lying EYES!

Post by woodchip »

Only guns are dangerous weapons so no need to report something as innocuous as a kitchen knife. I'm surprised he was corrected.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Knives are not dangerous?

The subtle (and in this case, not so subtle) bias spewing from foreign media over the past two weeks has been shocking, though not very surprising. I'm reaching the point where i'm past caring, to be honest.

Below is a clip of an Israeli using, to quote the state departments John Kirby...excessive force to stop an attacker. I would love to see how Americans would handle a similar situation.
[youtube]QLr6ZYRZ3o0[/youtube]
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Damn, where's a good guy with a gun when you need one. :P
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Slick thinks a cop will magically appear to save you. And flabby, my tongue was planted firmly in cheek for my prior post
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Yea, sorry about that woody, i've just been seeing a lot of people actually meaning it. I overreacted a bit.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

let's see, you subjugate people with no path out of subjugation for decades. You violate their privacy in their own homes for decades. You build 'settlements' on their property. Then, they seem upset to the point of wishing to kill you all. What a surprise. As the old saying goes, you reap what you sow, and Flabby, Israel has sown some REALLY dangerous seeds.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yea…that sounds like a reasonable excuse for the bias in media.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

:roll:
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Oh I get it, you weren’t addressing the OP, you were just using the opportunity to take a shot…

I knew that. :wink:
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Spidey wrote:Oh I get it, you weren’t addressing the OP, you were just using the opportunity to take a shot…

I knew that. :wink:
no, I was responding to Flabby,and the point of how an American would view a similar attack to the one the video showed. I pointed out where: 1) I can't see where anyone in Israel is taken by surprise and 2) given the track record of prior decades, why shouldn't an anti-Israeli bias start to build up in some quarters.
As to the knife v gun v rock v substantial eggplant matter.....all can be 'weapons'. I just don't view the semantic imperfections in the reports as anywhere near to the significance of the reality on the ground......and, my reading of Flabby's post seems to indicate some common ground there.
George Orwell---"1984"
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Flabby Chick wrote:I would love to see how Americans would handle a similar situation.
They'd probably wind up dead if the knife attacker is within 30 feet.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Ferno wrote:
Flabby Chick wrote:I would love to see how Americans would handle a similar situation.
They'd probably wind up dead if the knife attacker is within 30 feet.
Yeah as the attacker would go to a gun free zone before he started stabbing.

Ferno

Post by Ferno »

hahahaha. no.

Tell me something. When joe average gets a gun, does he A) go to a firing range and shoot while standing still, or B) goes and trains under stressful and chaotic conditions, like police officers and new recruits?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I'd say a lot of people don't even go to the range after they buy a pistol for home protection, those that do stand still and shoot. However those who get a CPL wind up joining organizations like the IDPA, ADSI, or the NRA's competitive shooting division.

Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Exactly. So it stands to reason that those who get a license to carry don't deal with stressful situations (and I watched some of the defensive shooting competitions) at all. It's all controlled and gives a false sense of security.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Ferno, like any competition, adrenaline kicks in and the heart rate increases...much like a real life incident. Is it exactly the same? No, but it does get you to learn how to handle the stress better and it gets you familiar as to how to use your firearm under different types of scenarios.

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I want you all to look at FC's vid and notice how many times the attacker gets up after being shot. For those of you who think you only have to shoot once to wound a attacker to stop him, FC's vid clearly shows the fallacy of that belief.

Ferno

Post by Ferno »

woodchip wrote:I want you all to look at FC's vid and notice how many times the attacker gets up after being shot. For those of you who think you only have to shoot once to wound a attacker to stop him, FC's vid clearly shows the fallacy of that belief.
"two in the chest, one in the head"