The death of descent3?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Whodat232
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

The death of descent3?

Post by Whodat232 »

Whats up guys..... long time no see!

Ya I know Suncho.... I owe ya twenty bucks.(hope you arent as hard on me as this community seems to be on the roc :) ).

Anyway, as far as D3 dying, there is just a lot better games out there now. You're d3 "community" doesn't have to die as long as you have the DBB. So don't worry about it.

I am here to let you know about the game that alot of us old descenters are playing now. It is battlefield 1942..... upgraded to desert combat.

My Pops (Bama) runs a clan called the [DCBB], which stands for Desert Combat Band of Brothers. Former descenters in our clan are:
Bama
Whodat
MK-Defender
X-Sabre
CritterB
Ordo
Mr. Perfect
Kompressor
Chenjeshu
Mario3D
Volition
Ferno
T-Trek

Thats all I can remember for now.

This game is awesome as we are all on teamspeak and we usually kick some major booty.]

There are all kinds of weapons from tanks, fighter jets (still use the sidewinder 3D pro), Choppers, Humvees, personal armour to you name it!

This is a Coalition vs. Iraq warfare game.

You must have a pretty serious gaming system to play though.

Anyone interested please visit http://www.dc-bandofbrothers.com

Feel free to post on the forum there.

I especially want to hear from ROX Hostile and ROX Darak! 931-456-8986

The D3 community doesn't have to die...... let's just try some other venues!
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Not my thing -- one of the main reasons I play D3 is its unique setup w/o strong links to reality. Eg. no inertia, sliding, hovering, 360d movement, "laser" bolts, SciFi theme etc. and no gore. So no thanks, I'm not going to play things like CS, BF1942 or any game modeled after reality -- I got enough of that :P
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

heh. Interesting you should mention that Grendel....because that's pretty much the criteria that I have for games: sci fi themes, no gore (very important to me), not close to reality (modern combat shooters).
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

AHH!
that explains why I havent heard from Kompy lately.
Tell him I miss him and theres an empty spot in my heart where he used to reside :P .

Seriously, I think most of the community have moved on to the newer games or are starting to Look into them.

Personally, I can still be found in the "mines" from time to time as I just gotta have my "fix". At the moment I'm still playing Diablo 2 LOD, But I am looking into Other Games.
Halo,BF1942,,UT2004 as well as Far Cry seem to be my top choices, but none really jump out and say "Play me!" like Descent did when I first saw it.
Whatever Game I choose, one thing will be for sure.No other game will ever come close to Descent for me. The gameplay will most likely never be matched and for sure the community itself is one of a kind!
For now I'll stick with my couple of D3 games a week and continue rapid clicking at Diablo.
you never know though, One of these days while perusing the local computer store I just might grab up Halo or BF and showup in y'all server:P
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Still no better game than Descent. Still no game I would consider playing online. This one-horse wonder's in it till the end :D.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

most of us got banned from the dcbb for disagreeing with bama.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

bama turned into the kok the way I hear the story told... dont shoot the msngr
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

Suncho==cutie? Is he blackmailing you, young lady? If so, just say the word and we'll have him whacked. :P
BfDiDDy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BfDiDDy »

Hey whosfat.... I play on CAL with D3k as teambox, (www.teambox.org) and I play DC with www.lancamp.com people. They have two DC servers. Check out both some time.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

bash wrote:Suncho==cutie? Is he blackmailing you, young lady? If so, just say the word and we'll have him whacked. :P
Hey now.
KtheC'
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by KtheC' »

Quite a few Wildcards and BKORT members had once been members of the DCBB. For one reason or another we moved on. No need to go into explanations, most people can figure it out. Just think about what you sign up for and who you play with.

www.wildcards.org
Fezzik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

D3 is not dead!

Post by Fezzik »

These days, it seems that people are talking about D3 being dead as if that's an unavoidable fact. The truth is, there are still dozens of people out there who still love to play, and D3 is only as dead as we allow it to be.

People have been saying D3 is dead/dying/whatever since I started playing it about 4 years ago. I decided then that as long as there were servers to play on and players to chase down, I'd still be playing. Many people have moved on, for various reasons, and simply have no desire to play anymore. However, put aside all the politics (hackers, typekilling/spawnkilling, new levels, weapon balance, pxo/no pxo, Suncho is/isn't the antichrist), and we're left with a bunch of people who still love to play this game. Let the DBB work out the details, but don't stop playing D3 just because someone else is telling you it is dead. Remember, the people who are claiming it is dead are usually the people who don't play it anymore.

As for those of you who have no desire to play anymore, please don't piss in our Cheerios by telling us "D3 is dead". It may be dead to you, but that's no reason to insist that it is dead for everyone else. Besides, who knows - you may want to come back some day.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

word
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

quit shoving these save descent 3 threads down our throats and we may stop telling you its a dead game.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Nobody's shoving anything down your throat kurupt =)
Fezzik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fezzik »

What Suncho said. You chose to chew and swallow.

/me hands kurupt a beer to wash it down.

Besides, you'll be back some day, too. 8)
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Yeah, they always come back don't they? :D
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

kurupt wrote:quit shoving these save descent 3 threads down our throats and we may stop telling you its a dead game.
/me ponts to the name of the forums.

Imagine that? someone making an effort to bring more life into descent and posting threads about it on the DESCENT BB.
you are such an a** sunch! ;)

keep chewin Kurrupt
SSC-HenryTheH
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by SSC-HenryTheH »

I, too, am in love with D3 because of its graphics & no-gore content.

Life in general has too much of that, there's no need to desensitize our consciences with life-like destruction, etc.

I like the fact that when I'm done playing, I don't feel like going after someone else; nor thoughts of Tri-choording someone I'm mad at ;)
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

wow, i'm doing more to help this community than the people getting their panties twisted over something i said. thats ironic, aint it? =)
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Nope. =)
Trackball
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Trackball »

Making infinite threads about how "dead" the community is doesn't solve anything. There are 30 people playing D3 online right now. That doesn't sound very dead to me. Descent 3 is NOT boring. What puzzles me is how people get bored of a game so fast. I still enjoy Descent 1 and its been out for 10 years. Now thats quality.

No we don't need to move on. 360 is such a lovely number. Would you really like to lose that freedom? Then again...the human race has developed an intense love for less features... :roll:
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Personally, I can't stand that some pilots have converted to Halo, of all things. I played that game for an hour, and I was ready to use the CD as a Frisbee :P.
Trackball
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Trackball »

Halo? *Yawn* Its amazing how primitive games have become. You'd think the gaming industry would be innovating more. :(
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I couldn't even play it for an hour, I was bored long before.
Bold Deceiver
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Bold Deceiver »

Heya Whodat. Good to see you. We used to bat each other around in Stadium. I flew as Intrepid.

Don't pay attention to the local, and might I add classless, attacks on your Dad. It's good to see you around.

BD
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

classless perhaps, but unjustified? not at all.
Zer0Cool
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zer0Cool »

kurupt wrote:classless perhaps, but unjustified? not at all.
you should be a politician K ;)

your ability to speak is uncanny...
Whodat232
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Whodat232 »

Great to see you again Intrepid!!!!

If I remember correctly(And I probably don't), you were always the one who when got killed pressed the ":)" macro.......... you were always such a pleasure to play with. Good seeing you again!

And as far as Bama goes korrupt, I know what you are saying...... He is getting old and irritable. I have to counsel him on his behavioral reactions at least once a week. But remember...... Bama luv's ya!
Arbitar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Arbitar »

Grendel wrote:Not my thing -- one of the main reasons I play D3 is its unique setup w/o strong links to reality. Eg. no inertia, sliding, hovering, 360d movement, "laser" bolts, SciFi theme etc. and no gore[/b

Exactly how I feel!! The farther away from reality it is, the better it is. Reality sucks half the time, so its great when you can get away from it :lol:
Bold Deceiver
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Bold Deceiver »

kurupt wrote:classless perhaps, but unjustified? not at all.
Speaks for itself.

BD
Bold Deceiver
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Bold Deceiver »

Whodat232 wrote:Great to see you again Intrepid!!!!

If I remember correctly(And I probably don't), you were always the one who when got killed pressed the ":)" macro.......... you were always such a pleasure to play with. Good seeing you again!

And as far as Bama goes korrupt, I know what you are saying...... He is getting old and irritable. I have to counsel him on his behavioral reactions at least once a week. But remember...... Bama luv's ya!
I think you have the right guy, but that's only because it was quicker and easier than typing out all my swearing and verbal attacks on your and your Dad's lineage, etc. :)

Thanks for coming around,

BD
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

Descent still dead!!! OMG!!! :o I haven't visited this forum for over a year and it hasn't changed a bit. Thread hijacking, members squabbling, pointless flames, and to think I stopped reading because I lost my sense of humour. :D Five minutes of skimming and already I'm laughing.
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

Ford Perfect! .. Hey ! I was trying to run you over in Burning Indica last night !.. I was dressed in my tank, .. were you actually in the game when I joined; I recall your name was lsited in yellow, but in the mayhem I couldn't tell what ship you were in ..? Welcome Back !

...D3 will survive, it will evolve, and those of us genetically predisposed to loving this game will carry it on. Suncho: with your heightened amount of D3-feindishness, you better start spreading your genes man ! I've already got my 5 year old son playing online, ... He's hooked !
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

"Spreading his genes?" Ka-Bong...that's the scariest thing I've ever heard to date.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

I would need to find the perfect D3-playing mate. ;)
SSC-HenryTheH
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by SSC-HenryTheH »

Yeah, I did see Ford Perfect in that BI3 match...man was that hot!

Gren, myself, Van_Halen, and others were there.

I did notice that Ford left...I don't think there was a kill/goal limit, so eventually the time limit was reached...

if you're wondering I came in 3rd ;)

my problem is that my hand starts cramping and I can't slide as well afterwards :D