Romney Moment

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Romney Moment

Post by woodchip »

Seems Hillary Clinton has blundered worse than Romney and his 47% comment. Calling half og Trumps supporters "Deplorables" is not exactly the way to win votes (as Romney found out). So Hillary has finally come out and tells us what she thinks of millions of American citizens. Doesn't look pretty and the optics of her comment is not looked on favorably by the press. Already I see she is scrambling around and apologizing for her comment but I suspect the damage is done. Of course with a willing press covering for her I suspect we won't hear much more about it, unlike Romney when he made his 47% comment.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re: Romney Moment

Post by Vander »

I pretty much agree with her. This is basically the 25% that will always show up in polls favoring the craziest things. Like Obama was born in Kenya and is a secret muslim. Trump, rather than discouraging such people, is encouraging them. He is bringing them mainstream.

I hope she sticks to her guns and continues to call them out.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Can I take it one step further and suggest that anyone who unironically votes for Trump should be barred from breeding?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Ahhh yes…the ugly side of politics raises its head.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Top Gun wrote:Can I take it one step further and suggest that anyone who unironically votes for Trump should be barred from breeding?
That may be true, but should any candidate burn a few voter bridges before he or she crosses them? It's not good politics to go after the other candidate's voters, especially if that candidate is campaigning on uniting the country.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

it certainly wouldn't be a Romney moment, insofar as she wasn't dismissing nearly half the population, merely an exaggerated percentage of what are clearly Trump voters--the racists, xenophobes and gay bashers. I'd peg that group as maybe 1/4 of his total support. Also, not stated was that half of Trumps support consists of folks who flat-out hate her. That's an obvious fact. Where she did have a VERY positive message was that a large chunk of current Trump support comes from folks who legitimately feel left out of the society,the economy and that their feelings need to be treated far more seriously by the left. The overall pitch by Clinton was clearly one of conciliatory words and unification of the populace. To call out the haters as something to be utterly rejected by the mass of society, by inference, is entirely overdue.

That said, for the same reason I gave around the Johnson remarks on Aleppo, it was a gaffe to be sure.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

What's funny is that I agree with the sentiment, just not the characterization(s.)

Trumptards are a stupid breed (the ones that got Trump nominated.)

However, she is now lumping everyone that is supporting Trump (because the alternative would be HER) into a kind of "47% comment." Something Mitt Romney found out is a really really bad gaff for a campaign to let out of the barn.
Hillary Clinton expressed "regret" Saturday for comments in which she said "half" of Donald Trump's supporters are "deplorables," meaning people who are racist, sexist, homophobic or xenophobic.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/09/politics/ ... index.html

Hillary is one of the worst democratic party candidates for president that has run for the office and would have been easy to beat had Ted Cruz or even Marco Rubio been the republican nominee...problem is, Trump is very nearly THE worst the republican party has nominated in history- and he IS the nominee for that party. :rant:
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Wait, isn't Hillary just telling it like it is, speaking her mind, uncensored and unfiltered? Isn't that one of the qualities Trump supporters like? I'm confused at the double-standard.
Nightshade wrote:Hillary is one of the worst democratic party candidates for president...
Mostly because she's basically a Republican.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

vision wrote: Mostly because she's basically a Republican.
She's very much a democrat, but one with Alinsky radical leanings and with all of Nixon's charisma and instincts. What's not to like?

(Actually more like Nixon x100.)
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Nightshade wrote:She's very much a democrat...
Maybe this new, right-leaning Democrat Party, but her ideals are quite far from those typically on the Left. This, the popularity of Sanders. She's what a moderate Republican used to be.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

It's always fun reading the apologists excuses.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

most sane people simply wonder why she didn't refer to some Trump supporters as a 'bucket of ★■◆●', but c'est la vie.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Most sane people wonder why anyone would support Hillary...especially after her latest comment. Waiting to hear how a video made her say it.

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

what was wrong about her comments save the percentages? She said that some of Trumps support comes from deplorable persons. It clearly does. From white supremecists, xenophobic bigots and the like, and calling them deplorable is charitable. The entire rest of her words urged her supporters to understand the concerns of the rest of his supporters and in fact VALIDATED their concerns. Note that all she has stated is that she shouldn't have referred to the percentage as 50%, which was clearly overstated. This, like Trumps every other day appeals for authoritarian rule, doesn't really affect her base, and unlike his appeals to be elected dictator, shouldn't be any cause for any one to not support her. As I stated, it was not a good piece of politics during a campaign, but let's face it, this has become a campaign full of such gaffes. It sure would be nice to discuss issues, but one of the problems with anyone running against Trump is that he offers ZERO of substance to discuss.
George Orwell---"1984"
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

It's not a Romney moment in any real sense. The only people offended are the kinds of people who will spend the next four years obsessing over her, like woodchip, who can't go one day without making a disgusting comment about Mrs Clinton. The biggest difference though is that Romney was fighting for votes while Clinton has the election won already.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

No vision, the same people who were offended by Romneys 47% remark are the same type who got offended by Hillarys 50% remark.

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

just keeping it real
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Remember this one oldsters? Reagan's rambling closing statement in the 1984 debate, which should have given everybody a clue as to his deteriorating mental state, and it almost sunk him too, until he uttered one great and final memorable line.
Ronald Reagan wrote:"I will not make age an issue in this campaign. I will not exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience."
So we pretty much re-elected an old man with early onset Alzheimer's based solely on a single comeback zinger. So tell me now, how Hillary's little pneumonia illness is a worse thing in comparison? :wink:

https://williamhogeland.wordpress.com/2 ... al-memory/

Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

on the other hand, TC, it shows us to be, collectively, a pretty shallow and dim lot, and consistently so over time....... :twisted2:
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Seems I'm not the only one thinking neurological. Photo of nurse doing the classic finger test:
Attachments
hilltest.jpg

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

until you can show any pertinence to job performance on an ongoing basis, give it up, Woody.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Stop acting like a mushroom, even the Dem leaders are looking for a Hillary replacement before it is too late

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

um, no, ONE retired FORMER leader said something dumb like that. She's not going anywhere but the White House. Oh, and I have been suspecting this for a few days, and someone agrees with me. Given the snub Pence got, we may be right;

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/09/13/ ... ables.html
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Well you know how these things get started, 1 person mentions it, press picks it up, pretty soon it is a major discussion followed by action....and the only place Hillary Clinton is headed is the looney bin. I think all those years of putting up with Bill has finally drove her nuts.

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

oh, I think the discussion HAS already pivotted, and suspect you aren't going to like the coming weeks too much.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

You mean like RCP has Hillary down to a 2 pt lead and the discussion is how did Hillary Clinton every lose her lead to someone like Trumps.

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Hillary is leading in Texas. Let it sink in.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

And Trump leads in Ohio by 5 pts...let that sink in.

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

I'll take Texas and Georgia in a trade for Ohio, and we'll see where we end up, OK?
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:this went well.....
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ ... li=BBnb7Kz
Yeah, I guess that's why Flint residents are stupid. Heckle the only nominee to come visit their town. What do they expect will happen if he is elected? Have President Trump authorize the federal govt to send more aide?

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:Yeah, I guess that's why Flint residents are stupid. Heckle the only nominee to come visit their town.
ah, tonight must be "put your chest waders on night" because you are slinging BS deep and fast. Hillary was there, twice, in the spring, Bernie once. That was, by the way, when the Governor was dragging his feet on the issue and the urgency of the national spotlight was most intense. Trump blunders in months later to a progress report, starts bad mouthing the response or some crap about Hillary and got his ass handed to him, publicly. Strong, really strong performance. So strong, I can hardly believe it. Sarcasm, like you've never seen!

What do they expect will happen if he is elected? Have President Trump authorize the federal govt to send more aide?
I bet they'll hope and pray for public schools that teach spelling. Oh, and the Federal Courts will mete out the demand for redress, so your imaginary President Baboon won't have all that much of a chance to hold back necessary aid(sic).
George Orwell---"1984"
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Holy crap that was uncomfortable to watch. I can't believe this guy is a presidential nominee. Talk about low energy.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ ... li=BBnb7Kz
Holy ★■◆●. He just can't help himself.

Half a billion sperm, and that's the one that won.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

now he's criticizing the pastor.....so let's check the boxes of who he's acting like a petulant ass towards in doing so:
1. men/women of the cloth
2. women in general(she was a 'nervous mess'? Buzzwords, anyone?)
3. older black women(hello, North Carolina, howdy Georgia!)

and the pendulum starts to swing........
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Pendulum like RCP has Hillary up only by 1.8.

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

watch and wait. The guns will turn to Trump now, and he has to do 4 1/2 hours on his feet with no teleprompter, surrounded by fact checkers facing a very smart opponent. We'll see where the pendulum heads in the coming weeks, but it's worth noting that he never has been ahead in RCP, nor in any poll factoring in electoral vote. If her people get out the hispanic vote and take Texas, the EC is a formality. Think of it, Texas, California, New York, New Jersey and Illinois. You really wouldn't need much to see 270 with those in your column and 4 are already a given..
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote: but it's worth noting that he never has been ahead in RCP,
He's been ahead twice:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -5491.html

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

well, there you have it. Let's see how we stand in a few weeks. Given that he's been humiliating himself(along with his daughter) at a rate of once per hour so far today, it should be interesting.........
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

And Hillary is doing another' "It was a video" lie. Seems her doctor says she has non contagious pneumonia. Only problem is...there is no such thing. So another lie to cover for her neurological problem