windows2000 took a dump....

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

windows2000 took a dump....

Post by Will Robinson »

Somehow I managed to screw up my win2k system. On boot it says it can't because of a missing or damaged file: "\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMced Startup Options for Windows 2000"

I tried to use the Windows2000 install CD to repair it...no love.
Tried to use an emergency repair disk but my floppy decided that this was a good day to die!

Anyway, I've installed a new incarnation of Win2k on a different physical drive (drive :H) on the same machine and am in the process of re-building things ie; installing software etc.

A couple of questions:

On boot now I'm given a choice of operating systems to boot into, the old corrupt one :C, or the new one :H. What is the best way to get rid of the old one?

I have a disk utility called Drive to Drive it claims it can move the good system to the old systems drive and overwrite any similarly named files. It seems that I shouldn't trust that and instead reformat the old C drive and then move the system on :H to :C.
Is that the way to go?

Also can anyone tell me how to recover my email account and address book info from Outlook...what files and where?

Many Thanks!
Bonz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bonz »

system propeties-advanced-startup and recovery/settings-edit
you can fix it there, just take out the correct line.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Thanks, that keeps it from becoming a choice at boot, is there anything wrong with trying to move the new incarnation of the OS to that drive?
Also, how do I move the address' and inbox,deleted and sent mail from the old outlook install to the new one? When I try to import it says there is no other instance of outlook to be found!?!?
Bonz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bonz »

sorry I can be a skimmer at times, I've never tried moving an os to a different drive, if it were possible I would leave it on the drive you installed it too, but I'm assuming you want to switch drives because the new install is on a partition bigger than what you want for the os? never used drive to drive so I don't know how well it works, sorry
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applica ... 93102.html

That may help you get your Outlook files back.