Mexican-Mormon 'War'

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Mexican-Mormon 'War'

Post by Nightshade »

The bloodshed caused by American druggies and Obama's 'Fast and Furious.'

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re: Mexican-Mormon 'War'

Post by Vander »

Hmm, you've posted a video advocating drug decriminalization.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Vander wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:13 pm Hmm, you've posted a video advocating drug decriminalization.
Yes...which is not surprising considering it's "VICE" media.

The things they show in the little documentary are very interesting though.

Humans can't handle drugs for 'recreational use' and never will. If all drugs were decriminalized, worse things than the opioid crisis would happen.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

you really don't get how any of this works, do you?
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

callmeslick wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:59 pm you really don't get how any of this works, do you?
...right. It's supposed to work as well as getting rid of prohibition against alcohol.

Guess what...alcohol still kills-
An estimated 88,0008 people (approximately 62,000 men and 26,000 women8) die from alcohol-related causes annually, making alcohol the third leading preventable cause of death in the United States. The first is tobacco, and the second is poor diet and physical inactivity.9

In 2014, alcohol-impaired driving fatalities accounted for 9,967 deaths (31 percent of overall driving fatalities).10
https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-healt ... statistics

Not only that- but people under the influence of alcohol KILL OTHER PEOPLE as well. Innocents that happened to be in the wrong place when a piece of sh1t drunk ass-hole decided to get in a car.

I'm willing to bet that legal alcohol kills FAR FAR more people than any alcohol-supported mafia violence would if prohibition were still in effect.

Of course, not all 'recreational drugs' are equally dangerous. Marijuana is much less lethal that currently LEGAL alcohol (by several orders of magnitude.)

If it were regulated tightly and discouraged in public like tobacco smoking, I wouldn't have any problem with marijuana legalization...though decades later it'd be found that it does almost as much damage as tobacco does to the users.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Maybe we legalize everything, but the requirement is, if a person chooses to use drugs or imbibes in alcohol, that person must remain locked inside their home, or a special room set up for that purpose if that person is homeless, just to protect the rest of society. That person only gets out of lock down if they willingly go through detox and are tested and considered safe to function in society. If they relapse, it's the death penalty. If they happen to cause their own death while they're in the process of enjoying themselves, at least they didn't take others with them. :P :P :mrgreen:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Nightshade wrote:I'm willing to bet that legal alcohol kills FAR FAR more people than any alcohol-supported mafia violence would if prohibition were still in effect.
I'm willing to bet that if they tried to keep alcohol prohibition in effect, we likely would've had another revolution by now, and the right to bear alcohol would be written into the new constitution. :)

Alcohol isn't just legal, it's been actively promoted while alternatives criminalized. It also has to be taken into account that alcohol related harm during prohibition wasn't restricted to black market violence. People still got drunk and did stupid things. Alcoholics didn't disappear.

If alcohol prohibition were still in effect, what level of regard do you think society would have for authority or law enforcement? Cannabis prohibition was a major source of lost respect for authority for me. It simply wasn't as bad as I was told at the D.A.R.E. symposiums we were forced to attend at school. It's probably good that it led me to question authority, but it also led to a more negative perception of law enforcement than I would've had otherwise. They were my enemy for the trouble they could cause me if they found the dope in my pocket.

The fact is, most people just want to get high. Certainly not everyone and certainly not all the time, but most will seek out a way to alter their state of mind for curiosity/exploration or enjoyment regardless of any addiction. Its like when I was a kid, before I ever thought about any kind of substance, I would do that thing where you stare at your finger and spin around to get dizzy. Add to that motivation, the fact that its stressful being a shaved ape having to deal with other shaved apes while gravitationally pressed onto a rock spinning through space.

I was mostly lucky to have avoided more addictive drugs in my pursuit to find adequate alternatives to reality, but I can imagine the precarious state of having a physical addiction that puts you outside the law. I don't think such people should be ostracized or be made criminals. It should be easy for someone to get addiction help, and legal jeopardy should never enter the equation. Decriminalization isn't legalization.